Which city is the most defensible...

The_Vyper

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which city is the most defensible. Give reasons.

• Kvatch before the Daedric Siege
    • Bravil
    • Bruma
    • Cheydinhal
    • Chorrol
    • Leyawiin
    • Skingrad
    • Anvil
    • The Imperial City

one of many defense tactiques for the Imperial City.

Green, the attackers, would attack through one of the gates. Because if the enemies were to attack through all gates at the same time, they would have to have an extremely huge army.

The imperial city would seal off the palace gate, as the enemy would obviously try to go through there, then the Imperial city would have mages and archers stationed on the walls, aswell as ground forces rushing through the other two gates, in order to keep the enemy trapped inside the quarter.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2460/imperialcitydeftactic.jpg

Most of the cities in Cyrodiil aren't really built for defense so much, though. On the border regions you'd be seeing places designed for defense. How would the Morrowind cities fare? Balmora == toast. I'd root for Vivec. Take out a few bridges and it's indestructible.

Actually, neither the IC or Bruma are in a bad position if one was to really think about it.

IC:

Split into "sub-cities"

While the enemy can use the sewers, so can the Legion

A buttload of Legion soldiers are headquartered there (I'd say at least 50)

The ARCANE UNIVERSITY (easy way to get Mages to help you)

Many of the named NPCs are leveled and know spells/own weapons, so they can and will help.

The bridge is far too narrow to fit artillery across.

Last I checked NPCs die on contact with water (*cough*SuicidalKvatchDremora*cough*)

Bruma:

The backdoor is quite hard to get to if you don't know where the cave entrance is.

Harsh climate = hell

Burd. The most badass guard captain ever.

The Blades

Again, quite a few leveled NPCs

Takes the longest time to get to from anywhere else in Cyrodiil (>3 hours from IC, a day from Leyawiin)

In the MQ the other cities (IC excepted. FFFFFFF OCATO) actually HELP Bruma if you complete Allies for Bruma.

EDIT: -_- damn typos

Edited by TehChef

I'm only now getting around to this topic (because I forgot about it :blushing:)

My very first thought was that IC would be the easiest to defend and I haven't changed my mind after reading everything other people have posted. It was all almost immediately obvious to me.

• Advantages

1. Surrounded by water
    2. On high ground with difficult access to the walls in many places
    3. Two bridges cross the lake, one of which is a tiny foot bridge and the other of which could be easily defended
    4. Massive presence of Imperial Legion
    5. Arcane University (along with a small battalion of battle mages)
    6. Easily cordoned off, both externally (limited access to IC Isle) and internally (sectioning of city)
    7. Very high, very strong walls

Disadvantages

1. Multiple entrances
  2. Sewer system

The advantages clearly outweigh the disadvantages. Yes, having to defend multiple entrances will split up the defenders, but the attacking force will also have to split up its force and the construction of the walls and the way the city is positioned on high ground means that it would take only a relatively few defenders to keep attackers at bay. Remember that the attacking force is attacking uphill for the most part and the defending force is attacking downhill -- a significant and deciding advantage in most military engagements. The sewer system is a non-issue when you think about it. We know where the sewer entrances are within IC. They would be ridiculously easy to secure with just a few people and you can bet the IC authorities know about them. Even if you postulate a running battle within the sewer system even a little bit of familiarity with the sewers will show you that its pretty easy to set up some very defensible positions within them, where the enemy would be channeled into narrow corridors and easily dismantled with ranged weapons and spells.

And what if there is a siege underway? The enemy is still at a serious disadvantage because it's going to be sandwiched between the IC defenders AND backups called in from other cities. IC Isle would be a bloodbath for any invading force, simply because of the geography of the area.

Anyway, those were my first thoughts on it, and I see that other people are pretty much in agreement. Of course, I'm looking at this from a realistic perspective. Throw in magic, though, and things can become pretty iffy. In terms of the game, as opposed to speculating that a place like Cyrodiil and IC could actually exist, I think it would pretty easy to lay waste to any city Oblivion. I could do it with a single moderate-level character -- except that the guards would all respawn again in three days, so what's the use of even trying?