Oblivion Mod Manager issue

xbladekiller

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have the full version ... the only version that I'm aware of. The problem is the Windows user account you are logged into when you start your computer (it's a limited user account). If you have the administrator password you can run OblivionModManager.exe as an administrator (if the administrator account is password protected that is ... if not then same steps except the password part).

Right mouse click on OblivionModManager.exe and select "Run As ..." from the right click menu. You'll be presented with a Windows dialogue box with "Current User" selected and some blah blah about protecting your computer. Select "The following user: " down below Current User and the focus will shift to that section of the dialogue. Administrator will be already selected in the dropdown box (well unless you have a user name on your machine that's alphabetically before "administrator"). If your machine's administrator account is password protected put in the password and hit OK.

Now I'm on Windows XP so they may have changed a bit of the naming of various things, but any Windows version I've heard of will have a similar option.

Well sort of Ike ... my instructions were more directed to either the Start button or Windows Explorer method of starting OBMM.

You can also edit your desktop shortcut so that it automatically asks you for your administrator password. Right mouse click on the desktop icon and select Properties from the right click menu. In the Properties dialogue click on the Advanced button. This will bring up a selection box where you can tick Run With Different Credentials and then click OK and then Apply in the Properties dialogue. Each time you run OBMM from your desktop shortcut it will now bring up that same Run As dialogue box where you can select administrator and put in your password.

I'm not super familiar with all of the changes that were made to the permissions system in Windows when they introduced UAC. Back in the WinXP days you could just change your normal login account to be an administrator and it would fix all those permissions woes. You could try that in Win 7 and see if it helps, but doing so will slightly increase your day to day vulnerability to all that bad stuff lurking on the internet. If you have a good anti-virus suite installed and don't regularly visit sites offering something for nothing (such a thing does not exist in this universe ... everything has some sort of pricetag) the risk increase should be slight.

Back in the XP days to login using the hidden administrator account you'd Ctrl + Alt + Del at your user selection/login screen and then select the Administrator account from a dropdown selection box. Then you'd use the User Accounts in the Control Panel to switch your everyday account to an administrator account. Microsoft may have made things more difficult ... I can't recall for certain but I think I read something about they changed how you can access that hidden account. If you're not comfortable messing around and figuring things out it may be best to either just edit the desktop shortcut or call in the pros to switch your login account.

I don't use OBMM for much anymore, just extracting files I need from BSAs is about it, so I could be off a bit on these instructions.

Download the mod you want to use and save it to a temporary folder. Start OBMM and select Add Archive from the dialogue box. Navigate to where you downloaded the mod and select the ZIP, RAR or 7z file you downloaded and then click Create OMOD.

If you download a mod that comes as an OMOD file already you can just copy that OMOD file to the folder Oblivion\obmm\mods and it will appear in the right hand side of the OBMM window when you start it.

Anything I know about using OBMM comes from reading the info accessed from the Help button. Granted it's not always easy to find and/or figure out, but it's a good place to start.

I don't use OBMM for much anymore, just extracting files I need from BSAs is about it, so I could be off a bit on these instructions.

Download the mod you want to use and save it to a temporary folder. Start OBMM and select Add Archive from the dialogue box. Navigate to where you downloaded the mod and select the ZIP, RAR or 7z file you downloaded and then click Create OMOD.

If you download a mod that comes as an OMOD file already you can just copy that OMOD file to the folder Oblivion\obmm\mods and it will appear in the right hand side of the OBMM window when you start it.

Anything I know about using OBMM comes from reading the info accessed from the Help button. Granted it's not always easy to find and/or figure out, but it's a good place to start.

hiya

says..when i download it and try to open...that I cannot open as an archive

also in temp folder, when i try to open it says the message i posted above, so is useless

also...do i need to get nxm ext software to help download with modmanager?

thanks for assistance

Edited by xbladekiller

Give me a link to one of the mods so I can check it out. There has been an issue lately of Windows hijacking file extensions for downloads (so far all I've heard of is OMODs being hijacked).

- Edit - Also are you using 7-Zip?

Edited by Striker879