Oblivion Mod Manager issue

xbladekiller

Give me a link to one of the mods so I can check it out. There has been an issue lately of Windows hijacking file extensions for downloads (so far all I've heard of is OMODs being hijacked).

- Edit - Also are you using 7-Zip?

hi striker

here is link: http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/5118/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Foblivion%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D5118&pUp=1

yes, i am using 7zip

thanks for yr help

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This mod is in .esp format. You definitely can't open it unless you have the Construction Set.

Striker, I missed the following responses since my last one. I'm going to read now your TL;DR one and slap you in the back of your head, or hugh you, if appropriate.

Cheers!

This mod is in .esp format. You definitely can't open it unless you have the Construction Set.

Striker, I missed the following responses since my last one. I'm going to read now your TL;DR one and slap you in the back of your head, or hugh you, if appropriate.

Cheers!

ty for reply

construction set?

do you have link for this pls and what i do with it

thanks

Hey, xbladekiller.

The Construction Set is the software used to create the game Oblivion itself, and the software used to create ALL the mods here. It's a quite powerful program and you don't need it if you don't intend to create mods.

.esp files aren't meant to be opened. They are meant to be used by the Oblivion engine to know what to do in-game.

.bsa files are also not meant to be opened. They're containers from which the game takes the resources. BOth .esp and .bsa files must be placed inside the Data folder. Do not try to open them.

The only files you need to open once downloaded are the .zip, .rar and .7zip ones. When you download an .omod or .bain file, you're not supposed to "open" them, you're supposed to tell OBMM (for the omod) or Wrye Bash (for the bains) to use them to install the mods.

Another thing: do not use Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) to download and install Oblivion mods. NMM is a very modern program and was created with newer games in mind (like Skyrim). Oblivion is a too old game for NMM to handle well. The fact that NMM works well with Skyrim doesn't imply that it works well with Oblivion, too.

For now, forget about the Construction Set. You don't need it at this stage of your "gaming career":

Cheers!

Hey, xbladekiller.

The Construction Set is the software used to create the game Oblivion itself, and the software used to create ALL the mods here. It's a quite powerful program and you don't need it if you don't intend to create mods.

.esp files aren't meant to be opened. They are meant to be used by the Oblivion engine to know what to do in-game.

.bsa files are also not meant to be opened. They're containers from which the game takes the resources. BOth .esp and .bsa files must be placed inside the Data folder. Do not try to open them.

The only files you need to open once downloaded are the .zip, .rar and .7zip ones. When you download an .omod or .bain file, you're not supposed to "open" them, you're supposed to tell OBMM (for the omod) or Wrye Bash (for the bains) to use them to install the mods.

Another thing: do not use Nexus Mod Manager (NMM) to download and install Oblivion mods. NMM is a very modern program and was created with newer games in mind (like Skyrim). Oblivion is a too old game for NMM to handle well. The fact that NMM works well with Skyrim doesn't imply that it works well with Oblivion, too.

For now, forget about the Construction Set. You don't need it at this stage of your "gaming career":

Cheers!

hi

ty for reply

my problem is i am getting errors...as mentioned above, when i download the files and wont work at all

thanks

xbladekiller, but the example mod you gave, the Carry All You Want, is just an esp file. You don't have to do ANYTHING with it, just put it inside the Data folder. Do not try to open it. Do not try to use OBMM to "open" or install it. Just put it in the Data folder and then enable it in the Data Files section of the Oblivion Loader, or in the mods list of OBMM.

Let's recap:

Files you need to open before you can install the mod:

.zip

.rar

.7zip

Files you don't need to open, just use the related Mod Manager:

.omod (Oblivion Mod Manager)

.bain (Wrye Bash)

Files you DON'T HAVE TO OPEN at all, just put directly in your Data folder:

.esp

.bsa

If mod comes with a Readme, read it thoroughly before doing anything, Never skip the "read it" part.

Give us another example of a mod that is causing your problems, please.

Cheers!

EDIT: just saw the reply you posted while I was writing this.

DO NOT HIT THE "OPEN FILE" on the download dialogue. Hit the DOWNLOAD (or "Save as...") button. ALWAYS.

Edited by IkeCoast

Sorry guys ... I was doing some beta testing and reporting and I guess I've missed all the action.

Mods like that one you linked are pretty rare. Usually even mods that are only an ESP file will come in a ZIP RAR or 7z archive that you'll download to a folder, extract and then install.

For mods like that Carry All mod you can still use OBMM to activate the mod if you want to keep things all "under one roof". The left hand side of the OBMM window is all of the ESP files from all of your installed mods ... the checked ones are active and unchecked ones disabled (inactive but the ESP is still in your Oblivion\Data folder). The OMODs you've installed are the only things that will appear in the right hand pane, with the colours showing if the OMOD is activated (blue box beside the name) or just ready to be activated (green box, providing OBMM doesn't detect any conflicts).

xbladekiller, but the example mod you gave, the Carry All You Want, is just an esp file. You don't have to do ANYTHING with it, just put it inside the Data folder. Do not try to open it. Do not try to use OBMM to "open" or install it. Just put it in the Data folder and then enable it in the Data Files section of the Oblivion Loader, or in the mods list of OBMM.

Let's recap:

Files you need to open before you can install the mod:

.zip

.rar

.7zip

Files you don't need to open, just use the related Mod Manager:

.omod (Oblivion Mod Manager)

.bain (Wrye Bash)

Files you DON'T HAVE TO OPEN at all, just put directly in your Data folder:

.esp

.bsa

If mod comes with a Readme, read it thoroughly before doing anything, Never skip the "read it" part.

Give us another example of a mod that is causing your problems, please.

Cheers!

EDIT: just saw the reply you posted while I was writing this.

DO NOT HIT THE "OPEN FILE" on the download dialogue. Hit the DOWNLOAD (or "Save as...") button. ALWAYS.

Hi

ty for reply again

I dont actually open it...although i did at one point, but when i extract file to data folder (Oblivion), it comes up with an error....'ERROR cannot open output file'

I also did this with this mod : http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/17411/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Foblivion%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D17411&pUp=1

I am probably doing something daft, but can not see what it is atm

i cant seem to get MM to work at all.. it acts in a similar way to extract to data folder with error

thanks for yr patience

Edited by xbladekiller

Weird. The Clearer Underwater is a .7z file and I just downloaded and opened it flawlessly... in my GNU/Linux system using the built-in packager. Which version of 7zip are you using? Make sure it's the latest.

And where are you storing your downloaded files? Could it be an outdated version? Could it be you have an UAC issue?

Let's try something:

Download again the Clearer Underwater mod, but make sure to:

A) use the "Download manually" link.

B) Click the "Save File" option, not the "Open file".

C) Do not save the file to your Desktop. Choose any other destination, for instance MyDocuments.

D) Once the file is downloaded, go where you saved it and double-click the file.

E) Tell us what happens.

Cheers!