Oblivion Mod Manager issue

xbladekiller

Saving the world? If you refer to the world of the Surface, nothing farther away from my intentions.

I'm a creature of the ocean depths, remember.

Today I finished the Abysmer Outpost where I will put the armors and weapons. Tomorrow will add some furniture and decide where to drop the thing. Underwater, of course.

I'm not sure if I should upload the Alpha version on the Nexus. Some unsupecting passersby could mistake it for a finished version. What should I do?

Whe should discuss this in the proper thread. Blades has no idea what we're talking about.

Cheers!

EDIT: About Blades and the DLCs, Striker is right, Blades, currently the only way to purchase the DLCs is to purchase the complete GOTY Deluxe. Let it be via Steam or Amazon (or a second-hand store).

Edited by IkeCoast

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys

i seem to be having an issue or bug with gates, doors or lifts; as in oblivion towers. They seem not to be operating, they make the noise, as though they have started, but nothing happens. Is this a known issue...was feeling it was lag or something, but not sure

any thought please?

thanks

You could be running into the A-Bomb bug (stuck animation bug). Give OAF - Oblivion Animation Fixer a try.

A couple of things to note about OAF ... first, the fix isn't permanent, so you'll need to rerun OAF periodically. I find the Legion rider torches are a good indicator. When you first start to see them trailing some lazy flame fragments it's time to rerun OAF.
Second, if you use Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE) you will need to rename a copy of the OBSE co-save to match the fixed OAF save. When you run OAF on a save (let's say one named MySave07.ess) it creates a fixed save named OAF_MySave07.ess (using my example save). After you start using OBSE it always creates an OBSE co-save each time you save ... for MySave07.ess there will be a corresponding MySave07.obse. What you need to do is rename a copy of MySave07.obse to OAF_MySave07.obse to match the OAF fixed save.
It's more complicated to explain than it is to do.

I have been reading about the A-Bomb Bug lately in the comments, but I never experienced it. So hear the advice of Unca Striker.

Apart from this, nothing to add. Just wanted to meddle here, that's all.

Cheers!

hi guys

I might need a bit of a walk through, with the instructions on the installation and setup of the bug fixer ie so I get it correct

I do use OBSE program and I was a little unsure what you were meaning about the SAVES

Were you referring to the normal saves that you do in game and does it mean i will have to do 2 different ones now?

If I have to rename these saves...how do I do this?

No sure this is what you actually mean, but pls explain for me

Do these saves differ form the quick saves etc?

Thanks

This game is not making it easy for me :(

Hey, Blades!

When you have OBSE installed, every time you (or the game auto-) save the game, in addition to the normal savegame the game creates, OBSE creates another one, a copy with the data regarding OBSE the regular savegame does not stores. Go to your MyGaves\Oblivion\Saves folder and you will see what we're talking about: there are two copies with the same name of each savegame, one with the vanilla file extension (ess) and another with the OBSE extension (obse). This second one is the one you need to rename to match the fixed one.

DO NOT USE QUICKSAVES!!!!! Save always with the esc - Save menu or the command console, but never with the quicksave key. It's easy and convenient, but it's easy a recipe for disaster, bloated or corrupt savegames.

And no, this game certainly does not make things easy for anyone, trust us, we have both had our share of issues, malfunctions, disasters, mass extinction events and fallen-in-the-line-of-duty whole installations.

I've never used OAF, so I cannot help you with it, but, Striker, I remember having read somewhere that Wrye Bash also has a tool to handle A-Bomb bug... ??

Cheers!

PD: Striker, today the idea of creating a Shark Atronach crossed my mind... Unfortunately, no Blender for me for the momento, so the idea will be kept in safe storage for future use. Oh, and thanks for your advice on the Blockhead question.

First remind me ... are you using Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE)?

If the answer is yes then what happens automatically every time you save is two saves are actually made ... one by the game (MySave07.ess in my example) and one by OBSE (the MySave07.obse in my example). When you run Oblivion Animation Fixer (OAF) it only works on and fixes the ESS save, but it appends OAF_ to the original file name, thus MySave07.ess fixed is named OAF_MySave07.ess (but OAF doesn't touch the OBSE co-save). If you don't rename the co-save to match sometimes when you load the fixed save it will work alright, sometimes not (depending on if your character was somewhere or had something equipped that requires OBSE at the time of the save). To be safe it's best to rename a copy of the co-save so that it matches the fixed save's name (thus MySave07.obse becomes OAF_MySave07.obse to match up with the fixed save's file name).

OAF itself can be installed anywhere, even on a different drive. I have multiple hard drives on my machine ... G drive is where my games are installed, C drive is of course for the operating system (and is where my save games are), but I have OAF installed on my H drive (which is my big storage drive used for downloads etc). Just extract the downloaded ZIP OAF_v1_2-5127.zip to where ever you downloaded to (mines in a folder I created on H drive specifically for game patches ... for whatever reason when I first ran into the A-Bomb years ago I considered OAF a game patch, though that's not really what it is). It will extract and create a folder named OAF_v1_2 and inside will be a file named OAF.exe and a text file (OAF_v1_2.txt). Double click OAF.exe and click the Open button. Navigate to where your save files are (probably Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion) and make sure you are selecting the latest ESS save (so MySave07.ess in my example, not MySave07.obse). Click on the FixMe button and close OAF. Last thing is the co-save renaming and you're done until next time.

- Edit - I'm with Ike on the quicksave thing ... forget it even exists. If you've been using it you'll see it has an OBSE co-save as well (providing you are using OBSE that is). Something else about saving ... don't overwrite saves, always save in a new slot. For one, if/when you run into the inevitable problem that makes a save unusable you will have a fall back position (keep going back in your saves until you find the newest one that doesn't have the problem), plus I did read something about overwriting contributing to the save game corruption problem (quicksave and autosave always overwrite). When your Saves folder starts getting a lot of saves either delete or backup the older ones (I have a Save_Backup folder on that big Data drive).

Edited by Striker879

Hey, Blades!

When you have OBSE installed, every time you (or the game auto-) save the game, in addition to the normal savegame the game creates, OBSE creates another one, a copy with the data regarding OBSE the regular savegame does not stores. Go to your MyGaves\Oblivion\Saves folder and you will see what we're talking about: there are two copies with the same name of each savegame, one with the vanilla file extension (ess) and another with the OBSE extension (obse). This second one is the one you need to rename to match the fixed one.

DO NOT USE QUICKSAVES!!!!! Save always with the esc - Save menu or the command console, but never with the quicksave key. It's easy and convenient, but it's easy a recipe for disaster, bloated or corrupt savegames.

And no, this game certainly does not make things easy for anyone, trust us, we have both had our share of issues, malfunctions, disasters, mass extinction events and fallen-in-the-line-of-duty whole installations.

I've never used OAF, so I cannot help you with it, but, Striker, I remember having read somewhere that Wrye Bash also has a tool to handle A-Bomb bug... ??

Cheers!

PD: Striker, today the idea of creating a Shark Atronach crossed my mind... Unfortunately, no Blender for me for the momento, so the idea will be kept in safe storage for future use. Oh, and thanks for your advice on the Blockhead question.

Hi Ike

Where do I find the saved games folder..am using win7?

UPDATE. found it, as per striker's post

thanks

Edited by xbladekiller

Hi Striker

I just need some gentle confirmation/reassurance how to do this procedure

-Double click OAF.exe and click the Open button. Navigate to where your save files are

-selecting the latest ESS save

-Click on the FixMe button and close OAF

-co-save renaming....not sure what you mean here!. Do I rename the file ie last one i saved and which extension one and what too?

am a bit confused at last point

thanks

EDIT: the last save looks like this : 'Save 21 - dwemer - Fort Sejanus, Level 13, Playing Time 54.44.00.obse'

What would i save it to?

That is if i have understood that is what i have to do?

would it become 'OAF_Save 21 - dwemer - Fort Sejanus, Level 13, Playing Time 54.44.00.obse' ?

Edited by xbladekiller