Oblivion Mod Manager issue

xbladekiller

Yup you've got it on using OAF. The renaming thing is simple once you have it figured out.

If you look in Windows Explorer in your Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves folder you will see two files with the same first part of the name and only the extension part is different. Your save file names will be different than my example names ... my current character's most recent save is "Save 1159 - Athal Sarano - Shetcombe Farm, Level 13, Playing Time 296.14.01.ess" and it has an OBSE co-save named "Save 1159 - Athal Sarano - Shetcombe Farm, Level 13, Playing Time 296.14.01.obse". When OAF fixes a save it adds "OAF_" to the start of the fixed save's file name so you know it's the one that's been fixed. Because the file name is now different than the OBSE co-save the game + OBSE won't find it when you load your fixed save. That's why you need to rename a copy of your co-save to match the OAF fixed save.

You don't really need to rename a copy of the co-save ... I'm just a real conservative type. You could just right mouse click on the co-save and select Rename from the right click menu and then single left click at the front of the now highlighted name. The highlight will be gone and you'll see you are now in edit mode for the file name. If the cursor isn't at the very front of the file name just use your keyboard arrow keys to move it all the way to the left. Once it's at the start of the file name just type OAF_ (must be capital letters) and then hit Enter. That's it ... you're done.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Blades.

I will try to clarify this for you the best I can:

your last savegame, the one you need to put on OAF to fix the bug, should be named something like that:

Save 327 - xbladekiller - Imperial Prison, Level 15, Playing Time 56.38.27.ess

and the savegame OBSE created in its own would be

Save 327 - xbladekiller - Imperial Prison, Level 15, Playing Time 56.38.27.obse

According to Striker, once you have stuffed the savegame with the ESS extension on OAF, you will get a savegame named

OAF_Save 327 - xbladekiller - Imperial Prison, Level 15, Playing Time 56.38.27.ess

What you need to do now, is take the file named

Save 327 - xbladekiller - Imperial Prison, Level 15, Playing Time 56.38.27.obse

and change its name to

OAF_Save 327 - xbladekiller - Imperial Prison, Level 15, Playing Time 56.38.27.obse

Just add the OAF_ part in front of the old name and presto!

I think, according to Striker's explanation, that it's not mandatory, you could skip this "renamig the co-save" and simply go to your game, load the new savegame created by OAF, and then, WITHOUT MOVING AT ALL, save again in a new slot. OBSE will automatically create a co-save to accompany the new savegame with the fix applied.

Cheers!

Edited by IkeCoast

I'd like to add to what Ike says that sometimes your can just load the fixed save without renaming the co-save and everything will be OK, but that's not guaranteed. If you where hold a sword at the moment you saved that required OBSE for some special effect you'd load your save and just crash unless you renamed the co-save. That's why I always advise renaming the co-save to match the fixed save ... do that and no problems will arise.

HI GUYS

Hmmmm... i followed that, but i did not see it ADD, OAF to the beginning of the saved game name,. I opened up the game and gate opened up though

Should I still save the .obse file name as well and add OAF_ ?

THANKS

edit; I saved it to 'OAF_' ANYWAY AND IT DID NOT SHOW THE 'OAF_ so i presume thats ok

it works anyway, so am happy :)

So if it happens again, should I just follow same procedure?

thanks again guys

Edited by xbladekiller

Hmm ... doesn't sound right.

Do a test for me. Start OAF and open a save (make sure you're opening the one with ESS at the end, not the one with OBSE at the end. The file name of the save you loaded will appear in the box to the right of the Open button. In the box right below that (beside the Save button) single left click to move your cursor there. Now using the keyboard arrow keys move through the file name until you can see the actual file name part and not all the folder path leading up to it. Does it say OAF_ and then the name of the save?

hi striker

no i do not see OAF_

but i can open and close the gate that i previously could not move

i do notice though that the file that i renamed with 'OAF_....' is now not in the list of saved files

hope i have not messed it up !!

thanks

EDITTTTTTTTTT: IT IS THERE... it just moved it up the list :)

Edited by xbladekiller

Somethings isn't fitting together for me ... you're certain the file you opened and then clicked on the FixMe button was an ESS file, not an OBSE file (though when I just tested loading an OBSE file the FixMe button wouldn't enable). The other thing is you don't click on the Save button that is right below the Open button ... you click on the FixMe button in the lower left corner.

- Edit - Something else occurs to me ... was the save you fixed named Quicksave.ess or Autosave.ess ??

Edited by Striker879

hi striker

no.. it was a MYsave i linked it to

and I did not click the save button on the box...just the FIXME, button

it was the ESS file name that I linked the OAF program to

I see it on the list of saves now...it just moved it up the list and i see both the ESS And OBSE renamed OAF files

thanks

Edited by xbladekiller