Oblivion Mod Manager issue

xbladekiller

Weird. The Clearer Underwater is a .7z file and I just downloaded and opened it flawlessly... in my GNU/Linux system using the built-in packager. Which version of 7zip are you using? Make sure it's the latest.

And where are you storing your downloaded files? Could it be an outdated version? Could it be you have an UAC issue?

Let's try something:

Download again the Clearer Underwater mod, but make sure to:

A) use the "Download manually" link.

B) Click the "Save File" option, not the "Open file".

C) Do not save the file to your Desktop. Choose any other destination, for instance MyDocuments.

D) Once the file is downloaded, go where you saved it and double-click the file.

E) Tell us what happens.

Cheers!

hi

i did as you said...although i was following that proceedure anyway.... when i couble clicked on the file, it opened up the file to show (in 7-zip) the program to extract it or copy etc.. not sure what it is called, but gave different options to use the downloaded file... have seen this in past

Previously, when i have extracted it to the data folder in Oblivion, it has then came up with the ERROR warning that i previously mentioned

thanks

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suddenly had an epiphany...

You have Oblivion installed in C:\ProgramFiles, don't you? And you're trying to directly unpack the files there, don't you?

This will not work. UAC issue. Unpack the downloaded file in another location, then copy and paste the desired file from there to your Data folder.

Or move your Oblivion installation to another location OUT of C:\ProgramFiles.

Cheers!

EDIT: crossed messages, LOL.

BINGO, it's an UAC issue. Just unpack the files to your Desktop and from there move them to your Data folder.

Edited by IkeCoast

I suddenly had an epiphany...

You have Oblivion installed in C:\ProgramFiles, don't you? And you're trying to directly unpack the files there, don't you?

This will not work. UAC issue. Unpack the downloaded file in another location, then copy and paste the desired file from there to your Data folder.

Or move your Oblivion installation to another location OUT of C:\ProgramFiles.

Cheers!

EDIT: crossed messages, LOL.

BINGO, it's an UAC issue. Just unpack the files to your Desktop and from there move them to your Data folder.

Hi

I copy and pasted the file from my download folder directly to the data folder in BS/oblivion, which is in C:\ProgramFiles.... not sure what to do with it now...i did try extracting it there, but came up with same error

not sure if i am doing this correctly

thanks

xblade, what did you copy and paste from your Downloads folder to your Data folder? The very .7zip file or its content?

For example, the Clearer Underwater .7z file contains a file called Underwater.esp. THIS is the file you need to copy and paste into Data folder.

Then you enable it with OBMM or the Data Files section of Oblivion Launcher.

From now on, never try to unpack any other file directly to your Oblivion\Data folder. Windows (the OS) does not allow it. Unpack them into another folder, the same Downloads folder for instance, and then copy and paste from there to Data.

And don't worry about asking things you don't know. The more you ask, the more you will learn and the more you will enjoy your game.

Cheers!

xblade, what did you copy and paste from your Downloads folder to your Data folder? The very .7zip file or its content?

For example, the Clearer Underwater .7z file contains a file called Underwater.esp. THIS is the file you need to copy and paste into Data folder.

Then you enable it with OBMM or the Data Files section of Oblivion Launcher.

From now on, never try to unpack any other file directly to your Oblivion\Data folder. Windows (the OS) does not allow it. Unpack them into another folder, the same Downloads folder for instance, and then copy and paste from there to Data.

And don't worry about asking things you don't know. The more you ask, the more you will learn and the more you will enjoy your game.

Cheers!

Hi

I opened up the 7zip file from my downloads folder, inorder to get the .esp file you mentioned...right clicked on it to get, Copy to, option and sent to my data folder, but the error still occured.. i opened up the Oblivion launcher to look in data folder there...just incase it was listed, but not

hope im doing this right?

thanks

xblade, the issue is that your Operating System, Windows, doesn't allow you to copy FROM inside a 7z file TO your C:\ProgramFiles folder or any of its subfolders.

You need to take the Underwater.esp file OUT of the 7z file. To do that, when you use the Copy to function, choose to copy it to your DOWNLOADS folder or to your DESKTOP. ANd from there, you will be finally able to drag and drop the Underwater.esp to your Data folder.

Or simply open the 7z file, drag and drop the Underwater.esp from it to your Desktop, and then, drag and drop it (or cut and paste it) to your Data folder.

Then you will see that it appears in your OBMM.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, don't worry, just ask. Don't be timid. We are here to help you.

Cheers!

xblade, the issue is that your Operating System, Windows, doesn't allow you to copy FROM inside a 7z file TO your C:\ProgramFiles folder or any of its subfolders.

You need to take the Underwater.esp file OUT of the 7z file. To do that, when you use the Copy to function, choose to copy it to your DOWNLOADS folder or to your DESKTOP. ANd from there, you will be finally able to drag and drop the Underwater.esp to your Data folder.

Or simply open the 7z file, drag and drop the Underwater.esp from it to your Desktop, and then, drag and drop it (or cut and paste it) to your Data folder.

Then you will see that it appears in your OBMM.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, don't worry, just ask. Don't be timid. We are here to help you.

Cheers!

Hi

BINGOOOOOOOOO !! lol

that did it

can i just check though, before we conclude. Is it allways only the .esp file i drag to the data folder... i think ive noticed other files in the 7z before ie texture or other files (not readme file), what would i do with these files?

Thanks again for your help, but epsecially yr patience with me

It has been a great help...shame the windows ia suxh a pain lol

Hey, xblade!

At last, that's the right thing.

You could assign Administrator Privileges to the 7zip program. To do that, you must locate the exe file for this program, right-click it, and look for "Run as Administrator". But I am now on a GNULinux machine, and my old rig was a XP one, so I can't offer further advice.

About other mods, like the one you just mentioned, what you need to do is unpack the downloaded file. Let's call this file ExampleMod.7z.

Inside this ExampleMod.7z, you will find a folder called Data and a file called Readme. First of all, READ the Readme. Then, put the whole Data folder OUT of the 7z file, just as you did with the Underwater.esp file.

Then, you need to drag and drop this Data folder inside your OBLIVION GAME FOLDER. A warning window will appear telling you that "This location already has a Data folder. Files will be overwritten blah blah blah". This is correct. Just click "Yes to all".

Now, let's take another example mod. This one is ExampleMod02.rar. You unpack it, and find out that it contains:

A file named ExampleMod02.esp

A file named Readme.

A folder named Meshes

A folder named Textures.

What a mess! The previous one was prettier, with only a folder and a readme. Sigh.

With all this mess, you need to take the file .esp, the Meshes folder and the Textures folder OUT of the .7z file, for instance to your Desktop, and then, from there, you must cut and paste, or drag and drop, inside the DATA folder that is already present inside your OBLIVION folder.

Summarizing:

Q: "My downloaded file contains a Data folder. Where do I put it?"

A: You must put it inside your (installation path)\BethesdaSoftworks\Oblivion folder. Note that there is already a folder named "Data". You are meant to OVERWRITE this folder. Remember to put it first OUT of the 7z file, in a temporary location, your Desktop, for instance.

Q: "My downloaded file does not contain a Data folder, but instead there are a bunch of loose files and two folders, one named "Meshes" and other named "Textures". Can I jump out the window now?"

A: No. You need to take everything, the loose files and the two folders, and put them inside your (installation path)\BethesdaSoftworks\Oblvion\Data folder. Notice that this folder already contains a Meshes and a Textures folders. What did I told you about taking those things OUT of the 7z file to a temporary location before placing them into the Data folder?

You see, the safer way to know how to do this is, the next time you want to install a mod, FIRST come here, tell us which mod is, and we will guide you through the installation procedure. Don't worry, once you get used to it, you will find it easy to do.

SIDE NOTE: Having Steam and your games installed in C:\ProgramFiles is, as you just discovered, a pain in the you-know-what. The only way to get rid of those UAC issues is to move Steam and your games OUT of C:\ProgramFiles, but...

... but that's another story. Now I need to go to bed (I live in Ol' Europe, so it's late in the night, or early in the morning if you prefer, here).

I'm happy we finally could solve this first issue. There will be more issues, you can be sure of that, but now you know that you're not alone and you have friends that will help you.

So, anytime, matey! See ya!

Cheers!

Edited by IkeCoast

Hi

thanks for that :smile:

I tried another file: http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/5118/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Foblivion%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D5118&pUp=1

and went to open it as i did other one, before sending to desktop, but it would not open...just mumbled something about could not open a file C:\\.... as archive

is this a bad file and could u offer another alternative?

tried another mod ( ) and this contained a data folder as you discribed above and i managed to move this to oblivion folder ok and appeared in data files in launcher :)

hope your sleeping well now

thanks

ps..as a seasoned player of oblivion. Can you recommend some good mods to install? Please

Edited by xbladekiller

Hey Blade ... I'm back.

As I mentioned, the Carry All You Want mod is quite unusual for what you will normally find downloading mods. The mod author didn't bother using a compression utility like 7-Zip or WinRAR to compress the file.

When you download, click on "download manually" and in the Windows Save As dialogue box chose a location to save to (sounds like you're doing most of this using your desktop so far, so save it there). When the download is complete right mouse click on the file named "Carry all you want-5118.esp" on your desktop and select Copy from the right click menu. Next using Windows Explorer navigate until you can see your game's Data folder. Right mouse click on the Data folder and select Paste from the right click menu. Now start OBMM and in the left hand pane find Carry all you want-5118.esp and click on the box to activate it (will put a check mark in the box).

Carry All You Want is now installed.