Oblivion Mod Manager issue

xbladekiller

Continued from previous post

Ah, now I can see the attachment. Oh, how clean and pristine is your List. Soon it will be a mess, trust me.

Continuing what I was telling, right now you need to install the Unofficial Oblivion Patch. It's a straightforward installation, DOWNLOAD IT MANUALLY! Save the file to your Desktop or, even better, to a folder in your MyDocuments, we could call it "MyOblivionMods".

When you hit the Download Manually link, a warning poput telling you that this "mod" needs the Official Patch will appear. Since your game is already patched to latest version, you don't need this Official Patch.

When you unpack the Unofficial Oblivion Patch, you will see that it contains a bunch of folders and files, but no "Data" folder. That means you need to take all these files and folders and place them INSIDE your game's DATA folder, and let the installation overwrite the existing files and folders (hit "Yes to All").

Then, go to your OBMM and, first of all, place the new esps that appeared in your list DIRECTLY UNDER the Oblivion master esm. Your list should then have this order:

Oblivion.esm

Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp

UOPS Additional Changes.esp

Oblivion Citadel Door Fix.esp

UOP Vampire Aging & Face Fix.esp

NoEncumberance.esp

GlenvarCastle.esp

Underwater.esp

Tick all the files (remember, no need to hit the "Activate" button, that will do nothing).

This is called Load Order and is CRUCIAL for mods to correctly work. Every time you install a mod, it will be automatically placed in CHRONOLOGICAL order in your list, it is, according to its date of creation, and it's no good. The files from the Unofficial Patch must stay ALWAYS in the place where I told you to put them.

Now your game will be much more stable (although you will continue to experience random CTD from time to time. It's unavoidable).

Now, since the UOP includes the Custom Race Fix (more on that later), and this fix requires OBSE, we will download and install OBSE and Blockhead now.

Download OBSE and Blockhead. Download them MANUALLY (there are no links to the NMM download anyway).

First, OBSE. Unpach the downloaded archive. It contains a bunch of files and folders. YOU DON'T NEED ALL OF THEM. Take just the

Data folder

and the files

obse_steam_loader.dll

obse_editor_1_2.dll

obse_1_2_416.dll

and put them inside your OBLIVION folder (not your Data folder). Allow to overwrite ("Yes to all").

Next, do not open OBMM. This is not a mod, these are system files. What you now have to do is go to your Steam control panel and in Settings look for Steam Overlay. Enable it if it's not yet enabled. That's all.

Now, Blockhead. Unpack and you will see that it has a folder called OBSE. Take this folder and place it INSIDE THE DATA FOLDER, where there is already an OBSE folder. Allow to overwrite ("Yes to all"). You don't need to do anything else. Blockhead is not a mod and you can't see it in the OBMM list of mods.

Once you have done all of this, we will start talking about adding mods to your game.

If you have any question, ask before downloading or installing anything, don't be shy.

Cheers!

Edited by IkeCoast

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ADDENDUM

xblade, the "Download with NMM" button is for those that have Nexus Mod Manager installed in their computers, and no, you DON'T NEED IT. Do not use it. It's not for Oblivion, it's for Skyrim and newer games. Oblivion is too old to be correctly managed with NMM. Stick to OBMM.

And yes, every time I suggest a mod or plugin for you, I will provide you with the correct links to the files, don't worry.

Cheers!

ADDENDUM TO THE ADDENDUM

I forgot to explain how to move the mods in the OBMM List. Just select the esp you want to move, and with the buttons "Move up" and "Move down" that are right below the list panel, place them where they should go.

Edited by IkeCoast

My goodness, I assumed you were playing the Steam version of the game, because it's the standard.

If you're not playing through Steam, then my last instructions for OBSE are not valid. In order to play the disc version of the game with OBSE, in addition to the files I mentioned, you need also the file called obse_loader.exe and launch the game using this executable, not the vanilla launcher. Or launch the game via OBMM, it will use the OBSE version.

However, if you're playing the disc version that requires Steam validation and playing it via Steam, my instructions are still valid.

Yes, it makes a great difference if one plays the game via Steam or the disc version (via the desktop launcher shortcut). Could you clarify how do you launch your game?

Now, before we start to recommend mods, I suggest you play a little bit the game as-is, to get used to the vanilla look and feel. This way, when you improve it with mods, you will notice the GREAT difference between vanilla and modded game.

We also need to know a little bit about your tastes, because the next step is selecting and installing the Body Replacers and the Faces Overhauls. You have noticed that vanilla characters are ugly as hell and have bodies that would make an anthropopithecus jealous, haven't you? We will correct it. But, in order to point you to the right ones, we need to know where your tastes point towards. Have a look at the Oblivion Character Overhaul v2 to see if it's what you like. Hint: it's what I like and use.

In order to improve the visuals of the game (textures, ambiance, weather effects, et al) we need to know if your computer is strong enough to handle that. Hint: mine wasn't.

Well, summarizing, I encourage you to play your game as it is right now, non-modded, look at everything, how the characters look (dressed and undressed) for a couple of days. Then, tell us what is it that you would change and to what you would change it.

Cheers!

My goodness, I assumed you were playing the Steam version of the game, because it's the standard.

If you're not playing through Steam, then my last instructions for OBSE are not valid. In order to play the disc version of the game with OBSE, in addition to the files I mentioned, you need also the file called obse_loader.exe and launch the game using this executable, not the vanilla launcher. Or launch the game via OBMM, it will use the OBSE version.

However, if you're playing the disc version that requires Steam validation and playing it via Steam, my instructions are still valid.

Yes, it makes a great difference if one plays the game via Steam or the disc version (via the desktop launcher shortcut). Could you clarify how do you launch your game?

Now, before we start to recommend mods, I suggest you play a little bit the game as-is, to get used to the vanilla look and feel. This way, when you improve it with mods, you will notice the GREAT difference between vanilla and modded game.

We also need to know a little bit about your tastes, because the next step is selecting and installing the Body Replacers and the Faces Overhauls. You have noticed that vanilla characters are ugly as hell and have bodies that would make an anthropopithecus jealous, haven't you? We will correct it. But, in order to point you to the right ones, we need to know where your tastes point towards. Have a look at the Oblivion Character Overhaul v2 to see if it's what you like. Hint: it's what I like and use.

In order to improve the visuals of the game (textures, ambiance, weather effects, et al) we need to know if your computer is strong enough to handle that. Hint: mine wasn't.

Well, summarizing, I encourage you to play your game as it is right now, non-modded, look at everything, how the characters look (dressed and undressed) for a couple of days. Then, tell us what is it that you would change and to what you would change it.

Cheers!

Hi Ike

thank you for your feedbaxk... i owndered if the info about using disc version would be important

I put the obse_loader.exe file into the Oblivion folder and i tried to launch the game via the OBMM launcher, but it game me a message about this is not necassary and it did not launch game

UPDATE: I used the launcher within the Oblivion folder and it started game, but this will be a pain to do this each time...is there away to make a desktop version to launch?

how do i launch oblivion then? I usually launch the game via the desktop launcher...untill now !

I have been playing the game for a bit and have certainly seen how the characters are very ugly lol

so i woould be ready to load the file you mentioned :smile:

thanks for your help

Edited by xbladekiller

Hey, xblade:

you having the disc version makes things lots easier for me, since I have it, too.

Yes, I know about the message OBMM tells you about "it's not necessary", but it's just a reminder for people who think that if they don't use OBMM to launch the game, their mods will not work.

Let's prepare your desktop launchers so you can play Oblivion.

When you launch the game with the OBSE loader, it will directly load the "New Game - Continue Game - Options" screen, that is, it no longer will show you first the load screen where you can access the Data Files window. Sometimes you would like or need access this section, so we will leave the vanilla launcher in your desktop as it is. We will create a separate launcher icon for OBSE. Go to your Data folder, righ-click the obse-loader.exe, select "Create shortcut". Place this newly created shortcut in your Desktop and use it to launch the game with OBSE enabled.

Or alternatively, go to OBMM, click the "Launch Oblivion", the message appears, but this time, PRESS AND HOLD THE SHIFT KEY and then click "OK" in the message. OBMM will freeze for a moment, and then will launch the game with OBSE enabled. You don't need to do this "Press Shift and click Ok" every thime, the next time you click "Launch Oblivion" on OBMM it will not ask you anything, will launch the game.

Now, we will fix the uglyness of the characters.

Male characters are easy, there's only one body mod for them, Robert2 Male Body Replacer. Download it and store securely the zipped package. Do not open it yet.

Then, you must decide which female body mod you want. There are three types:

Robert2 Female Body Replacer. This is the one I use. Features a proportioned, athletic, slender yet muscular female body. While the mod itself gives you only one choice of body and breast size, there are some variants that provide more choices.

Hentai Gentleman Eye Candy (HGEC for short) body replacer. It provides a sexy, curvaceous, top-model looking female body. It's the most popular and the one that has more variation on the clothing and armor mods. However, most of these clothes and armors are skimpy and revealing, so if you're a minor, I suggest you to avoid it. It has several variations, like The Girl Next Door and its opposite SUI Guts, or Growlf's excellent version.

Team Fantasy Figures. For the life of mine I can't see the difference between this and HGEC, but whatever.

Don't be scared by the gratuitous nudity in these mod's pages. The default installation is the Underwear one. If you're allowed by the laws of your country to have naked persons on your computer, you need to manually install the Nude versions of them.

So, before we continue, you need to pick a choice of female body replacer. If you ask for my opinion, it's Robert2 Female.

Once the body replacers are installed, we will move to Oblivion Character Overhaul v2.

Go on, make your choice, Sophie.

Cheers!

Hey, xblade:

you having the disc version makes things lots easier for me, since I have it, too.

Yes, I know about the message OBMM tells you about "it's not necessary", but it's just a reminder for people who think that if they don't use OBMM to launch the game, their mods will not work.

Let's prepare your desktop launchers so you can play Oblivion.

When you launch the game with the OBSE loader, it will directly load the "New Game - Continue Game - Options" screen, that is, it no longer will show you first the load screen where you can access the Data Files window. Sometimes you would like or need access this section, so we will leave the vanilla launcher in your desktop as it is. We will create a separate launcher icon for OBSE. Go to your Data folder, righ-click the obse-loader.exe, select "Create shortcut". Place this newly created shortcut in your Desktop and use it to launch the game with OBSE enabled.

Or alternatively, go to OBMM, click the "Launch Oblivion", the message appears, but this time, PRESS AND HOLD THE SHIFT KEY and then click "OK" in the message. OBMM will freeze for a moment, and then will launch the game with OBSE enabled. You don't need to do this "Press Shift and click Ok" every thime, the next time you click "Launch Oblivion" on OBMM it will not ask you anything, will launch the game.

Now, we will fix the uglyness of the characters.

Male characters are easy, there's only one body mod for them, Robert2 Male Body Replacer. Download it and store securely the zipped package. Do not open it yet.

Then, you must decide which female body mod you want. There are three types:

Robert2 Female Body Replacer. This is the one I use. Features a proportioned, athletic, slender yet muscular female body. While the mod itself gives you only one choice of body and breast size, there are some variants that provide more choices.

Hentai Gentleman Eye Candy (HGEC for short) body replacer. It provides a sexy, curvaceous, top-model looking female body. It's the most popular and the one that has more variation on the clothing and armor mods. However, most of these clothes and armors are skimpy and revealing, so if you're a minor, I suggest you to avoid it. It has several variations, like The Girl Next Door and its opposite SUI Guts, or Growlf's excellent version.

Team Fantasy Figures. For the life of mine I can't see the difference between this and HGEC, but whatever.

Don't be scared by the gratuitous nudity in these mod's pages. The default installation is the Underwear one. If you're allowed by the laws of your country to have naked persons on your computer, you need to manually install the Nude versions of them.

So, before we continue, you need to pick a choice of female body replacer. If you ask for my opinion, it's Robert2 Female.

Once the body replacers are installed, we will move to Oblivion Character Overhaul v2.

Go on, make your choice, Sophie.

Cheers!

Hi Ike

Am an adult, so no issues, but i think i will install the Robert versions

Do I install the male and female mods now?

thanks

Hey, xblade:

Yes, you can try to install both body replacers now if you want. Just be sure to read thoroughly both Readmes before. If you don't understand how to do the installation, ask here. I can't give you now a detailed explanation because it's already 02:14 in the morning here and I'm falling dead asleep now, but tomorrow (that is, today later) I will guide you. Or perhaps Striker can guide you. I know he's lurking here, we both just gave a good scare to Guinefort some moments ago, the poor girl.

Which versions of the mods did you download, the manual ones (the first on the list) or the OMODs? Better use the Manual Install, this will help us when installint OCO.

Oh, and don't forget to download too the Male Outfit Replacer. The Female Outfit Replacer is included inside the Female Body pack.

My bed is singing like a Homerian siren right now. Its power is unbearable. See you later!

Cheers!

Hey, xblade!

I see in your mod list that both body replacers are correctly recognised by OBMM. THe Outfit replacers are just meshes and textures replacements for the vanilla ones, so they don't need an esp and does not appear in the list. Did you take a look on your new bodies? Gorgeous, aren't they?

I slept really well, yes, and woke up with all mi hair pointing in different directions, as usual. Mostly balding, so that's not really an issue.

Oh, you don't really need to convert your images to pdf in order to attach them here. You can directly attach the images itselves. Just remember to save them as jpg and under 250 mb.

Are you interested in learning a way to create working backups of your entire game installation with just a mouse click, without having to manually copy and paste folders around? Because I think this is the perfect moment to do it, before modding further your game.

It involves the installation of a tool called a profile manager. The one I use is mTES4. Have a look at it and don't worry, it's not as complicated as it seems.

If not, we will proceed with the installation of OCO v2.

Cheers!