Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Illiad86

Just decided to try the demo out to see if it was worth buying. I love Tomb Raider games, and this one is a lot different from the others..but it was worth a shot...IF THE GAME EVEN WORKED!!! :wallbash:

So, I download the demo and set up the graphics (1920x1200, fullscreen effects, water, shadows, volumetric, etc.) no AA or AF (those are forced through my card). First cut scene works fine, Lara gives the guy a mine and the game starts....

It chugs along like your playing Crysis on a Pentium III :wallbash: 2-10 FPS, stuttering sound, horrible graphical glitches. I tried turning off all the effects, disabling Triple Buffering, lowering the textures,even turned the resolution down to 1920x1080, 1680x1050, sheesh, even down to 1024x768 and it STILL runs like that. Even disabled my AA and AF (4x and 16x)....STILL. Pretty sad, figuring the game uses the same engine as Tomb Raider Underworld and that game runs flawlessly maxed out.

My drivers are all updated, so is DirectX, everything. WTF :wallbash: Wow, so glad there was a demo....if I would have bought it before I tried it...oh wow :pinch:

Anyone else tried this out and had this problem? Fricking I don't understand it at all...

Yeah...just glad I tried out the demo first :P I've heard bad reviews for it on the PC anyways, it was released on Xbox 360 before the PC. And we all know what happens there...poor controls. And that it's just not like any other Tomb Raider...but that's why they called it Lara Croft. Ah well, I'll just wait until the next Tomb Raider game comes out :) Underworld was awesome, wonder what story they are going to come up with next.

• 2 weeks later...

The final-version; well the average frame-rate is between 32-57.

samplevideo-download-link (size: ca. 70MB, type: mkv): http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=584138

A strange thing is - if I set AntiAliasing in the game-settings to "off" then the FPS-level goes down to the cellar(in scenes with fire/smoke).

I think one of the next updates will solve that problem (or not hehehe).

However, it's not bad. I think it's quite ok - apart of the partly cruel controls ;).

(Specs: all effects on, 1920*1080, driversettings: AA 24x (ingame set to 8x (I've told you the reason)), AF 16x, A.I./Advanced, Mipmap/Quality, AA-Mode/Adaptive M-S., Ati 5770, W7 Ult. 64, AMD 965, Catalyst 10-10).

_frost_

Hmm...yeah I'd figure they'd patch it soon, there were a lot of people complaining. I might re-download the demo and give it another shot with your advice there ;)

Does it support a regular gamepad? Might be less cruel :P

About gamepad-support - yes, I think so.

I'll check it out, but to do this I have to enter the most dangerous place in the world...

Yeah, the underground, the right place for an adventurer like me... (k, it's just my cellar :P).

I don't use gamepads cause I'm totally clumsy with these kind of devices so it hopefully still

exists in one of the boxes in the basement.

_frost_

edit. Bad news, it's still there but I don't have a D15-gameport, so I can't tell you if it works or not.

Anyways, it's easier to play after a while. K, I can't master it like UT3/2004 but the game itself

is still ok, (of course just my point of view).

Recommendable if you're searching for a spot of nice entertainment.

(State of affairs; After completion [of] the swamp level).

Hope you understand my English - I'm looking for my next language-update ;o).

Have a nice time :)

Yes, I understand it quite well :)

Ah...well I used to play console games before I did PC, I'm still pretty good at the old controller :P Ah only have a Gameport controller? I got a USB one...I'm going to re-download the demo tomorrow and check it out ;) Thanks

edit: Well, I tried what you said, and the game actually runs! :D Thanks, have a kudos :) Still...omfg the keyboard controls are driving me crazy....having to hold down the buttons to shoot/interact/grapple is totally throwing me off :P I'm going to try my gamepad later....

edit 2: ugh, gamepad is far worse.

Thanks Illiad86 :)

It's easier to have just the movement-section on the keyboard and the other

important things like interact/jump/bomb should be set to the mouse-buttons.

My experience is that it's less difficult to jump or to place bombs while

you're running.

I use this specific setting(/solution - the settings for other games are

very different):

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/4447/mouse2t.jpg

(Middle-mouse set to roll.)

(Personal taste, perhaps after years of UnrealTournament ;) )

Regards :D

_frost_

haha I haven't played Unreal Tournament since who knows when...think it was the first one I played. That would probably make it worse lol, I don't have the best mouse in the world ;) I'm just glad it's actually 1800dpi and hasn't died on me in a year like my last mouse. My boyfriend has that one, bought it for when he was gaming....he rarely plays games anymore though.

I'm used to PC Tomb Raider controls where you don't have to hold down the Interact/Grapple button while doing the action. But, after playing it a little bit, I've gotten used to the controls :) Actually might buy it next week...demo was incredibly addictive :D Boyfriend thought I was playing some sort of Diablo type game when he saw it :P

I haven't played the first part since years. It's currently UT3 but I'm missing a little bit the style from UT2004 and especially my favourite map »Phobos2« Moon Station.

I'm just playing from time to time, and not everything. DragonAge for example; the complete playing-time is less than 40 minutes.

I don't like the camera-angle and the poor facegen-options.

Even Oblivion - I didn't finish the main quest till now. (Maybe at a later point in time)

A good mouse is only needed for some games. I use my nice old cheap 800DPI-mouse for internet and it still works great since 2008.

Well invested 10€ ;).

Guardian of Light indeed looks a bit like Diablo (Btw. Diablo and Diablo2 - one of my rare quest-completed games :P)

_frost_