If you could go anywhere, anytime, where would you go?

Vindekarr

Imagine you could go anywhere, any point time, either to participate or simply watch. Where would you go?

I would visit a large, unexplored star in the magelanic cloud called R-136-A1, and also another, much more known star called Y Canis Major.

When I was 12 I read a book called A Brief History Of Time by Stephen Hawking. And since then I've always had an interest in the theories of neutronium, and hypermass objects.

R-136-A1, which sits in the Tarantula Nebular, the Young Cluster, in 30 Dorades on the edge of our galaxy, is the most massive star ever discovered.

In A Brief History Of TIme, one of the theories posed is that mass, gravity, can warp space slightly. And that the linear progress of Time was simply another Dimension, and thus able to be warped by the Mass of an object. This fascinated me, as I already new at that time of a type of star called a hypergiant.

Let me just explain the sizes involed: OK: Rigel is a big star. Beside Rigel, our Sun would look like the Moon would sitting next to Jupiter. Rigel would be almost invisible next to R-136-A1. R-1 isnt just several hundred times larger than our sun, it's also 6700 times more massive.

Now, theoriticaly, the Sun, Sol, has the ability to warp Time with it's unimaginably vast Mass. Now, magnify that by 6700-fold, and I'm pretty sure you'd find a scientific marvel.

I'd love to go to R-136-A1 simply to see how that unfathomably huge mass effected the universe around it.

I would also like to see Y-Canis-Major. Nicknamed the Red Eye, Y-Canis is the biggest star ever discovered. R-136, if it was in our solar system instead of our sun, would touch Mars with it's outer surface. R-136 however is a midget compared to the size of Y-Canis-Major. I cannot even put words to how big it is. I'd like to go there simply because it's one of the wonders of the universe.

When I was 12 I read a book called A Brief History Of Time by Stephen Hawking. And since then I've always had an interest in the theories of neutronium, and hypermass objects.

I've read that too. Such an interesting read...one has to wonder how anyone could come up with that kind of stuff. Most people think that combined with his genius, Hawking was able to develop these things as an additional product of his ALS. I mean, what else are you supposed to do when you basically paralyzed?

This is a really tough question. I would like to see a future modern society or some far away Earth-like planet though. As for the planet, I want a return trip too. :P To see things that are far past my lifetime would be amazing to behold.

There's also going back in time to "fix" *insert major historical event here* if one agrees that history can be changed rather than simply followed. But if one just "fixed" it, humanity would just be doomed to repeat it again. So....maybe not.

Accompanied by a certain Brian I'd like to travel back to Judea in the days of the mass crucifixions (2nd door on your left! The next, please), the weekly stoning sentences on Shabbat due to blasphemy (Who's said "Yahweh"!?... *boom*) and, of course, the 13th apostle, "Pinocchio" was the stud muffin's middle name, I think. That'd be funny...

OK: this one is a bit childish, but I honestly dont give a stuff because it would be awesome.

I'd like to go back a few million years and ride a Tyranosuarus. Yep, Ride one, I love lizards and reptiles, and a T-Rex is the ultimate.

I'd also go forward to 2011 to make sure that the uncomfortably new motorbike Im about to buy IRW doesnt get replaced by a much better one in mere months time.

I would like to travel in the past, 5000 years, and watch the Pyramids being constructed. As well as some other ancient sites, I would like to know what methods they used first hand, and what some of these ancient complexes looked like in all of their splendor. I would be willing to bet the ancients were more advanced than people give them credit for. I think it would be cool to watch a real gladiator fight in ancient Rome too.

Both of those would be amazing.

I remember rweading somewhere that hypotheticaly, some of the pyramids originaly had gilded caps on top-they would have been absolutely magnificent new-they'd have to be, they're magnificent 5000 years old and worn down.

And gladiator fights would be even better than Wrestling-so much variety, man vs animal, man vs man, ship fights, chariot races, chariot vs animal. Pretty much any sort of lethal ultraviolence imaginable.

I would like to travel in the past, 5000 years, and watch the Pyramids being constructed. As well as some other ancient sites, I would like to know what methods they used first hand, and what some of these ancient complexes looked like in all of their splendor. I would be willing to bet the ancients were more advanced than people give them credit for. I think it would be cool to watch a real gladiator fight in ancient Rome too.

I second the pyramids. The ancients were able to build so many amazing things. How did we lose all that knowledge?

People back then were just as smart as us now. We've just been able to build on the experiences and products of many other lives, that's all. ;)

There are 4 main time periods other than modern times that interest me the most:

1. Roman Empire - Well, not really a time period itself but a way of describing it since this empire had territory from Britain to the Middle East and from Southern-most parts of Germany to Northern Africa. Would have enjoyed watching gladiatorial games (supposedly audience members received free bread) and maybe even participating in them.

2. Middle Ages - Especially the Vikings, England, Scotland, France, Germany, Poland, Byzantine Empire, and the Arab Kingdoms.

3. World War 2 - Mainly in USA, Britain, USSR and Axis Finland.

4. Cold War - Would like to see from both sides; NATO-aligned nations such as USA, Britain, and West Germany, Warsaw Pact nations such as USSR, and East Germany, as well as neutral nations such as Yugoslavia. I would also see it from all decades, from late 1940's (circa 1947) to early 1990's (circa 1991).

I would love to observe major battles. Past, present and future. I would like to go back about 15 years, *censored* slap myself and make me do a few things different. Then go back to 05 and help myself 'get the girl'.

There are other things I'd like to witness and observe as well, such as distant stars and the first flight. Watch the F-15 pilot lose one of his wings and land his plane.

There are a few people I'd really love to meet and get to know.

People like Martin Luther King, Steven Hawking, "SETI-Guy" and other influential and inspirational people.

But also people who invented stuff that we just think "derp! how did I NOT think of doing that?" Like Nils Bolin, inventer of the seatbelt.

But also I'd like to meet the people who invented those things we see as being "just insane enough to be spectacularly useful" like the guys who designed the Radical SR-3 sportscar. I mean, it's one thing to design a dominant sports car, it takes real genius to design a dominant sports car that's as expensive as a compact and twice as easy to drive. Or Duct Tape, the most useful thing in the known universe. A cheap tape that is strong enough to hold a car together with only a hanfdful of layers, is 100% waterproof, last almost forever, and can be used to fix anything... for AUD $5 for 80 metres.

Or the guys who designed the Dodge T-Rex. The guys who seemed to think the biggest most powerful four wheel drive vehicle was wimpy, and made a bigger more powerful six-wheel-dirve version. After all, it takes guts and insanity to say a Dodge Ram is wimpy, and make a bigger one.

People like that I'd really like to meet, Im guessing they'd be really interesting folks.

I'd like to go to some particularly stars that have special significance for science and science fiction. Stars like Epsilon Eridani, Gliese, Betelguese, YC-Canis-Major, Sirius, Rigel, Proxima Centauri, R-136-A1, Altair and Procyon. They've all got legends, they've all got stories told about them, we've all at one point or another in the science fiction author's community probably considered using them as a set. They're all places I'd like to go.