self requested ban?

XTR3M368

I kinda keep an eye on the "bans" part of this forum to try to learn from other member's mistakes. One type of ban that confuses me is listed as "user requested". Is there a good reason to do this that is site related? or are they just burning the bridge completely? I don't want to get into other people's business, I was just curious if there was a site related reason someone would request to be banned.

Uh....people request bans for personal reasons :P It's not about site resources or anything, it's about how they feel about being on Nexus (I hope that makes sense) :)

Thanks *for that old thread link. I was not curious about the "personal reasons" aspect, but if there was some benefit to requesting it. I was staff for a LONG time on a Counter-Strike based community and we never had those kinds of requests. The only thing close to that we had was requests to suspend admin when someone's steam account got hacked to prevent admin abuse on the servers.

The mob might slobber over the "personal reasons" by other people, that's the only benefit, I fear. Quite similar to the interest in "the last words" of a to be executed one... already with his back to the wall. I'd thus reject any necessity of a public reasoning.

OK...this was NEVER about wanting to know about "personal reasons". I don't want to know anyone's "personal reasons". With the amount of those types of requests, it got my curiosity up thinking there might be a "non-personal reason" for it. People's personal stuff should remain just that...personal. I refer to this:

I don't want to get into other people's business, I was just curious if there was a site related reason someone would request to be banned.

I thought this was VERY clear in stating that I don't want/need the "personal reasons".

I can think of a few reasons why people would do this beyond personal issues. They are going to pursue other interests but may want to come back at a later date (their account can be reinstated iirc) and they have a shared computer and don't want their account compromised by a sibling or roommate. Another might be they want to move on and don't want to get the PM notifications. They might just not like leaving open accounts all over everywhere. I'm sure there are more reasons than that but those readily come to mind.

@Surenas

There is nothing that leads someone to believe that all of these are for personal reasons in their descriptions. I would not have asked otherwise. There are other bans I haven't fully understood as well that weren't "personal requests." If they were itemized as "requested to be banned for personal reasons", that would have answered my question before it was asked. Everyone's curiosity manifests differently and just because you interpret all of those as "personal reasons" without the chance of it being for a different reason/benefit, doesn't mean the rest of us are "trolling for gossip".

*edit* Thanks Rusty...that was the kind of thing I was talking/asking about.

Is there a good reason to do this that is site related?

No. It matters not what group the member belongs to...which is either "Banned" or "Members"

This last person wanted their account deleted but we don't do that for various reasons. We simply lock the account from use by banning it.

Self-requested bans are 100% purely for personal reasons. Reasons in which we do not inquire. As stated in the other thread, it may be due to addictive behavior and not having the self discipline to not login and post, etc.

LHammonds (File Admin)