WiP - Alagaesia

Sakurazaki32I

Alagaesia

This is planned to be a total overhaul of Skyrim in a brand new world, roughly 4x the size of skyrim. The world is based on the Inheritance series of books written by Christopher Paolini. Its not only the map that's changing either, we intend to implement the following list of features -

- A totally new magic system that work in a similar way to magic in the books

- New races

- New creatures

- Dragon riding

- New quests

- A generally interesting mod for everyone :tongue:

This is however obviously a lot of work, and this is in fact a restart of a mod which you may have seen on the nexus before. As such we could really use some more modders to help out, though we'll still give it a go regardless, find us here and post in recruitment :smile:

Prologue

After the war and Nasuada decided that the using magic should be restricted by law. It took effect shortly after the war, though many mages went on the run as they were against mass surveillance program by Nasuada which was in place for the protection of the many at the cost of the few. Even after 20 years there were still a lot of people who didn't like the way Nasuada ran the country. Especially the ex-nobles and the mages. The nobles had lost positions in society and they would like to see the fall of Queen. During the war there were a lot of people who support Galbatorix without oath in Ancient Language. They want revenge for death of their master. They have access to weapons similar to Dauthdaert, so they may become a threat even to dragons. Some mages who don’t agree the law, tried to convince Nasuada to change her mind, but after witnessing the horrible events during the war like soldiers who don’t feel pain, she felt she had done what was necessary.

Some Urgals are not satisfied the new way of proving their worth. They claim that competitions between races are useless. They want fight in real battlefields. Those people created a group which goal is to take the law down and kill Nasuada and others kings who support her. Due to their methods like acts of terrorism on government officers and facilities, running off the travelers and caravans they cause the chaos and fear in Alagaesia. However the rebels try to gain support among Alagaesians for the freedom to use magic. They aren’t evil. Some of them use questionable methods, but the Leader of this group try to fight with new law without harming normal citizens. To be honest, no one knows from where they come from, so a lot of people become suspicious towards each other. A few Half-Elves and Dwarves join the rebels. Some people think they are corrupted with lust of power and that’s why they decided to do that. However the true reason is still uknown. The leaders of the rebellion capitalize on the unrest with the laws to stir emotions of the magicians. Even though many magicians don't care if they are being watched or not, others feel apprehensive at the idea, and before their worries could be soothed, the rebels start spreading rumours about the laws. Later, they start spreading malicious rumours about Nasuada wanting to spy on everyone, in to garner more support for the rebellion. Many don't believe the lies, but other, more gullible people do, especially those who didn't know much about the Varden, even during the war against Galbatorix.

There are a few dragons rider who completed the training with Eragon. However the first to train was a Kull, who Eragon in his willingness to trust chose not to force an oath upon however on return to Alagaesia the rider killed the Urgal leader and took control of a clan. After this all riders who train with him or Arya have been forced to swear an oath to stop this from happening again. As such if the Player wants to train then they must swear an oath and cannot choose paths that directly go against the Rider order.

Owing to the fact that group killed a lot people who have supported Nasuada and her restriction of magic law during their attacks, Elven queen starts to worry. She decided to speak to the other kings to plan what they are going to do. They were concerned about rebels earlier, but they think it wouldn’t be such a threat to Alagaesia. They join later in the main story alongside Nasuada and the Dragon riders

Surdan’s king Orrin start to behave strange lately. He became alcoholic. Even though counselors tried to help him, he refused. He has mood swings. One he is happy the another he is mad at everyone. After the war he talked with Nasauda quite often, but this year he didn’t talk with her at all. His the most favourites activity is check how the trades are. He signed a lot of contracts lately, which is pretty strange… No one have been ordering such amount of goods before. What is more the rebels become more and more powerful...

Forgotten by all Alagaesians, Nomads begin to create settlements for their own people and trading purposes. The trading towns are located on the border of Hadarac Desert. Nomads decide to create another settlements in Hadarac’s mountains as well, where they could mine minerals and jewels. It’s a town where all administration of their hot homeland take place.

When Eragon heard what is happening in Alagaesia he decided to send a courier with another egg to find a new rider.

Pretty Pictures

http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag382/nafnaf95/Southern%20Isles/enb2014_12_2903_33_32_36_zps7892deec.png

http://i.imgur.com/AroBTE5.jpg

Dragons

http://i.imgur.com/X1z4h1q.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pquthGi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/nD4RL6N.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/U0FdxSa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AroBTE5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/J08RTxv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hIGPCwx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VbZEu7l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9J0dvzH.jpg

Brisingr and Temerlein Sword

http://i.imgur.com/gzHP4fC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Xfe7jI1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/z7MfFPq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0EteGG4.jpg

Magic System features:

• Alagaesia-style magic mechanics.

• Casting spells with words or sentences from the Ancient Language.

• Casting spells without the Ancient Language, which is an advanced skill only available to trained Dragon Riders.

• Storing energy in gemstones.

• If a Rider, being able to draw upon energy from dragon.

• Summoning spirits.

• Mental powers, such telepathy, mental travelling, mind-reading, mental offence and defence, mind-breaking, and mind control.

• Enchanting weapons, armour and items with magic, however they will only be temporary.

• Forging, or creating, weapons, armour and items with spells can result in permanent enchantments.

• Casting wards against magic, that will consume energy to protect against.

Before people say about copyright then this -- :wink:

961556_10202336949263421_1401041531_n.jp

Edited by Sakurazaki32I

I've never read any of the inheritance books by Christopher Paolini, but this mod looks quite well planned, and the progress looks fantastic.

And that tweet, very impressive. Too bad Tolkien doesn't use Twitter.....

Edited by TheBawb

Wow, a copyright holder in support of a Skyrim mod!! I really enjoy the idea of a new game of the Skyrim engine.

This is planned to be a total overhaul of Skyrim in a brand new world, roughly 4x the size of skyrim.

Be careful! There is a serious bug that can occur with worldspaces that are to large.

- Good Luck!

[WIP] Overview

Forms of using magic:

• Verbal - use of the Ancient Language to cast magic, which is restricted to the words known, and takes time to cast.
  • Non-verbal - use of thought and intention to cast magic, which has no real limitations apart from use of imagination, and is cast instantaneously. Has the drawback of distractions, and non-desirable magic being cast. Extremely dangerous. Can be more easily controlled if player, or Actor, has very good concentration and discipline. Spirits presumably use this form of magic naturally, having different mental structures to all other beings, and having very strong energy. As Shades derive their knowledge, will, skill and power from the spirits controlling them, their magic also comes from non-verbal manipulation.
  • Semi-passive magic - non-playable, and only known to be usable by dragons in moments of inspiration.
  • Wild magic - non-playable, and completely unpredictable. Has no limitations. Cannot affect the minds of dragons.
  • Potions - derived from the inherent magic found in plants and other magical ingredients. Can also be non-magical.
  • Object-embedded - magic embedded into objects that can be used under certain conditions. Uses energy of those attached to the object, directly or indirectly. Can also alternatively be embedded with energy for the object to draw upon.

Magical skills:

• Scrying - this is the art of using a reflective surface to see distant objects or places that are known to the user.
  • Teleportation - the ability to teleport objects.
  • Wards - passive shielding against magic, which only activates, and consumes energy, when the magic falls into it's scope of blocking.
  • Singing - ability to influence and shape objects and the world through the art of singing.

Enchanted objects:

• Weapons - Weapons can be made permanently enchanted by singing magic into them during forging, otherwise, magic on it will only last as long as there is energy to fuel it. The energy may come from the wielder's body, or those connected to the wielder's mind.
  • Armour - Armour can be made permanently enchanted by singing magic into them during forging, otherwise, as with weapons, it will only last as long as there is energy to fuel it. The energy may come from the the body of the wearer, or again, those connected to the wearer's mind.
  • Accessories - Items can be enchanted as they are crafted. They may also be enchanted permanently at anytime, however, the effects won't be as potent.
  • Miscellaneous - ...
  • Metallic objects cannot hold energy of their own, so they must take it from somewhere else. If a gemstone, that can store energy, is attached to the object, the object can draw from that. It all depends on how the spell embedded in the object is structured.

Mental powers:

• Telepathy - direct mind-to-mind communication between two or more living beings.
  • Mind-reaching - the ability to reach out with the mind to detect objects and other minds.
  • Mind-reading - the ability to read the minds of other beings without their conscious awareness.
  • Mind-breaking / mental offense - the ability to break into the minds of other beings without their permission.
  • Mental defense - the ability to defend one's mind from mind-breaking.

Magic-related skill trees:

• Enchanted forging - related to granting the player greater skills in forging magical weapons, armour and items.
  • Singing - related to increasing the effectiveness of a player's ability of singing to influence objects.
  • Magic concentration - for when an player or Actor gets attacked by surprise or by a powerful attack; determines how well magic stays in effect after such events. This is especially important for non-verbal magic users.
  • Mental powers - related to mental powers.
  • Magical creativity - related to allowing the player to say less words to accomplish a spell. The more skill the player has, means that the player could cast a complex spell with less words.
  • Healing - related to magic that heals.
  • Maiming - related to magic that is used to injure, incapacitate and kill.
  • Shielding - related to magic that is used to shield and cast wards.
  • Manipulation - related to make that is used to manipulate. This includes sensory and physical manipulation.

[WIP] Technical Implementation

This is the programming side of things, in explaining how it will work in general. The magic system will be heavily threaded, so that no unnecessary slow downs will occur. The threading model used is the Futures model. While it adds a slight overhead compared to the Callbacks model, it is easier to script overall.

Forms of using magic:

• Verbal - The player has two choices here, on how to create a spell to cast: create it in a pause menu, or choose from a list of previously created sentences, which can also be favourited, like Skyrim spells. While casting the spell takes no time, being verbal means that the player, or Actor, must fully say the sentence before the spell is properly cast.
  • Non-verbal - using non-verbal magic will be an advanced perk only available to Dragon Riders who are deemed suitable by Eragon and Arya, due to it's power. Implementing this is still being thought out. Stay tuned.
  • Semi-passive magic - Storyline event-only and non-playable, meaning, it's outside the normal magic system.
  • Wild magic - Storyline event-only and non-playable, meaning, this is also outside the normal magic system.
  • Potions - Enchanted potions will cast magic on the users, like a Skyrim potion might.
  • Object-embedded - objects can be imbued with magic that is then cast from the object by drawing on an energy source, usually in direct contact with the object, though it might also come indirectly, depending on the spell embedded into it. Might be done by way of a script that adds an enchantment to the object dynamically? Have to think this one through, some more...

Magical skills:

• Scrying - being a storyline event-based spell, some sort of trickery may be possible to implement it... maybe similarly to how the time-rip was done? Perhaps as an image-modifier combined with spawning an object reference with a texture representing the background... sounds wonky. :/
  • Teleportation - it should be simple enough to make this work when the destination is in the same cell as the spellcaster... but what about to cells that are unloaded at the time?
  • Wards - perhaps similar to Skyrim wards, but set with certain conditions and CK flags?
  • Singing - like verbal magic casting, but repeated again and again? How to make it affect the object?

Enchanted objects:

• Weapons - all enchanted weapons will have magic effects attached to them dynamically. If permanent, the magic effect is constant. If temporary, the effect will detached when they run out energy.
  • Armour - all enchanted armour pieces will have magic effects attached to them dynamically. If permanent, the magic effect is constant. If temporary, the effect will detached when they run out energy.
  • Accessories - all accessory effects will be permanent for non-metallic accessories. If the effects are added after their creation, the effect can only be so potent. The energy may come from the wearer, those connected to the wearer's mind, or suitable attached gemstones.
  • Miscellaneous - ...
  • Metallic objects cannot hold energy of their own, so they must take it from somewhere else. If the object has a gemstone in it's design, it can hold only as much energy as the gemstone is limited to.

Mental powers:

• Telepathy - will come in the form of dialogue playing which only the player can hear. For other Actors, this isn't needed normally, except if the player is connected to the mind of another Actor.
  • Mind-reaching - implemented possibly as an Imagespace Modifier that will black out the player's sight except for Actors and selected objects. The camera will be attached to another object, which can then move a distance based on the player's skill. Other magic users can do this as well.
  • Mind-reading - ...
  • Mental offense - ...
  • Mental defense - represented by an Imagespace Modifier that warps the screen depending on the intensity of the attack defended against. Also, time may slow for the duration, as well as the player's actions being modified depending on their mental skill and strength. A high concentration can help defend against the attack.

Perk trees:

• Enchanted forging - ...
  • Singing - ...
  • Magic concentration - ...
  • Mental powers - ...
  • Magical creativity - ...
  • Healing - ...
  • Maiming - ...
  • Shielding - ...
  • Manipulation - ...
Edited by ValmarQuartzDragon

• 3 months later...

Sounds like a great idea! I love the Inheritance series and a whole new world of Algaesia sounds fantasitc! If modders can unite to create worlds 'Beyond Skyrim,' they can surely do something like this! :D

Edited by Zylice

Should you post this in the 'Mod Requests' topic for more coverage?