New Vegas patches? I can read about them..

ObLars

So from what your telling me I'm not allowed to bypass Fallout 3's DRM or Splinter Cell Conviction's DRM or any DRM just because I don't agree to the EULA?

The way I understand it, that is correct. I'm not a lawyer though so I can't tell you 100% for sure one way or the other. Most commercial software is licensed though. You do not own it.

The big problem is our legal system hasn't kept up with technological advances. Until that happens we're going to have these stupid rules. The DMCA was one of the worst pieces of legislation passed (besides the Patriot Act, but I'm not going there.. :) ). It took away many consumer rights, which we are slowly regaining.

So from what your telling me I'm not allowed to bypass Fallout 3's DRM or Splinter Cell Conviction's DRM or any DRM just because I don't agree to the EULA?

The way I understand it, that is correct. I'm not a lawyer though so I can't tell you 100% for sure one way or the other. Most commercial software is licensed though. You do not own it.

The big problem is our legal system hasn't kept up with technological advances. Until that happens we're going to have these stupid rules. The DMCA was one of the worst pieces of legislation passed (besides the Patriot Act, but I'm not going there.. :) ). It took away many consumer rights, which we are slowly regaining.

So I take it jailbreaking a Iphone is illegal too.

So I take it jailbreaking a Iphone is illegal too.

No, that is specifically excluded from DMCA regulations. And it wasn't until this year that it was excluded. Previous to the change it WAS illegal to jailbreak a phone (not just iPhones).

Again, EULA's for software have not been challenged in court yet.

They can disagree all they want. It's still illegal.

I don't agree with 25MPH speed limits in some areas in my city. If I go above that limit and get caught, a judge isn't going to wave the fine because I don't agree with it.

It's still illegal to install mod chips in consoles. Sony is prosecuting the people who are selling the USB hack that allows homebrew to be installed on PS3's. Again, whether you agree with DRM or not is immaterial. It is still again the law. Are you going to be prosecuted for breaking the DRM on a game? No, probably not. Unless you distribute it. You are not entitled to support from the company either.

So there are several different rulings applied to different things. Software is viewed one way. Console hardware another, and cellphones as another. Again, until it is specifically challenged in court and an exclusion and/or exception is made it stays illegal.

As it relates to Fallout New Vegas, it is a Steam only game currently. If you install it outside of steam you are violating the license agreement. Are the FBI going to break down your door to get you? I doubt it.

And for the record, I believe the DMCA hurts consumers rights. It was a big media company push and was too broad. I would love to see the whole thing overturned.

Can we get to the real question here?

ObLars was asking for a patch

You can only Patch the game through Steam.

There is no other method (Legally).

But ObLars stated that he didn't know that Steam was required.

The question we should ask is, did he actually buy the game?

The question we should ask is, did he actually buy the game?

If he needs to come here looking for patches, I'm guessing he's not PC Savvy enough to look for them (patches) himself, if that's the case I doubt he would have/could have installed NV without Steam, in which case I'm assuming he pirated it.

Well I am extremely PC savvy, having been building, repairing and working in the field for years.

In case he's having the same trouble I had :

I couldn't find them either and steam didn't auto update them for me, though I had automatic updates selected. If you go into your steam account and click Library, you'll see New Vegas in your "Show All Games" list at the left. Use your mouse to hover and Right-Click on FNV and when you see the Context Menu pop up, select Properties at the bottom. In the Second tab verify you've got the selection to keep all files up to date, and then in the third tab, click the button labeled "Verify Integrity of Game Cache.." It will then validate your files, and let you know if any aren't up to date. I had two that weren't. Afterward I went back to the library and could see a status bar at the bottom showing one file being downloaded. I went back and did this whole process over again, and then I could finally see the second file updating. That worked for me.