Cremation vs burial...

Lehcar

Sorry, morbid topic I know, but it's been on my mind so... yeah. I don't mean to be depressing or anything I just need to talk about it.

I understand cremation is preferred by most these days, as opposed to the old fashioned way of interring one's remains inside a burial container and burying it. I suppose I understand, since getting cremated is cheaper and all, more economical, and possibly better for the environment, I don't know. Pretty much everyone in my family wants to be burned.. they say it's because they don't want to be "worm food".

But the whole cremation thing really worries me. Take this story, for example: http://crime.about.c...marsh041116.htm

Crematoriums are completely separate from funeral homes and other such places. They're not entirely trustworthy if you ask me. And often people's remains get sent off hundreds to thousands of kilometers away to be burned, and then they ship the urn back - but how the heck are you supposed to be sure if it's really your loved one's ashes your getting back? For all you know, they might be the ashes of a complete stranger. Or they might be ashes of burnt wood or something. How can you be assured? Really, you can't...

If someone I loved were to die and I later discovered that the ashes weren't theirs, or weren't even those of a living thing, I swear to God there would be hell to pay. But if something like that were to happen, I'd probably never even know about it, and that makes it even worse.

Apparently, Tony Abbot* says that it is possible to be buried and cremated after that. That's how their policy was removed (or lack of).

* If you get the joke you get a cookie

Without getting into a deep philosophical or religious discussion, let me just say that once the person has passed away,his "soul" or whatever you might choose to call it, has left his mortal body. Therefore what remains is not reallly your loved one, as such. It is, to put it bluntly, the container in which he or she resided while living.

If you can allow yourself to look at it from this perspective, it might make it easier to not concern yourself as much with whether or not the remains are buried or cremated. The person you loved is no longer really a part of that "container", if you will. You may continue to love and respect and grieve for him/her regardless of where he/she is actually physically located on this mortal plain.

Don't know if that helps. But I'm trying to keep it simple without bringing anything into it that might be considered inappropriate.

I agree with Uberman, its the thought that counts, and as long as you don't know they aren't the right ashes, it won't hurt you. I think it is very wrong that the ashes may be switched, but it ultimately does not matter. I don't have much of an opinion on whether one should be buried or cremated, but I do think that ultimately, the decision does not matter as long as proper respects are shown. I personally do not believe that how one is buried affects their afterlife situation, but as a show of respect and kindness to the deceased, any burial methods are fine.

I'd love to be wormfood! As grannywils said, I believe there is no relationship between the physical remains of a person and the cherished memory of your loved one. Therefore, I would love to go back to the planet that has sustained me all my life, and let my physical remains contribute what they can to sustaining the Earth. Really, I'd love a "sky burial" (where your remains are left in a remote area to be predated upon by wild animals, and decompose natuarlly, providing nourishment for new life) but sadly they are illegal in the UK.

There is actually a third alternative - I have made it a part of my will that my corpse be donated to a medical school after having any useful organs removed for transplant. I certainly won't need it any more and maybe they will put it to good use in training future doctors.

However, The reality is you don't get any say in what happens. If your family decides to have a traditional burying that's what you get.

There is actually a third alternative - I have made it a part of my will that my corpse be donated to a medical school after having any useful organs removed for transplant. I certainly won't need it any more and maybe they will put it to good use in training future doctors.

However, The reality is you don't get any say in what happens. If your family decides to have a traditional burying that's what you get.

I think similarly. Perhaps I think so as I was frequently surrounded by those in the medical field early on. That means parents too. Can't watch any medical drama without any comments of "YOU WOULD NEVER TEST FOR THAT," or something. Haha.

Going back to the presented topic though, again, it is the thought that counts. Just pay your respects and that will be enough. If the deceased really continue to watch over us, I'm sure they'd rather see that than contemplation over the physical aspects. I believe we need to see beyond what is just in front of us if anything.

bben: My mom chose that option, and then when they were finished with the research, chose to have her remains cremated. That is frequently how that option is finalized.