NV and Fallout 3: A qualitative comparison

olafreinhardweyer

Although I like NV so far, I have to agree with olafreinhardweyer. There are way too many boarded up buildings (almost the entire region above New Vegas) compared to Fallout 3. The NPC's themselves and the story are better done, but it feels as if there's fewer total quests?

Luckily, new locations and entrances (no quests needed, just exploration) can easily be added by modders, which is not the case for strong voice-acted stories NPCs. Over time, the game might be better than Fallout 3, once the world has been augmented with extra content (check 'New Vegas Interiors' for example).

In summary people who played Fallout 1 and 2 prefer New Vegas over Fallout 3. Those that did not prefer Fallout 3.

Nothing more nothing less.

Actually I like New Vegas more right now and Fallout 3 was the first one that I played of the series. Still I should invest some time into the earlier games sometime just for the heck of it.

Although I like NV so far, I have to agree with olafreinhardweyer. There are way too many boarded up buildings (almost the entire region above New Vegas) compared to Fallout 3.

Well, that's what the Nexus can provide :)

Yes, I have no doubts that the lack of explorable buildings and locations will be fixed over time by modders. I'll just have to be patient (and probably do some work on it myself as well).

The Nexus will fix everything. People STILL forget the state in which Fallout 3 was at launch. Now we have great mods, great DLCs and a overall very good game. Bethesda games are like diamonds: somewhat brilliant here and there, but you have to wait for patches and mods to cut it to a real gem. That said, as a die-hard Fallout 1+2 fan I feel that FNV is a better cut gem right out of the box.

The Nexus will fix everything. People STILL forget the state in which Fallout 3 was at launch. Now we have great mods, great DLCs and a overall very good game. Bethesda games are like diamonds: somewhat brilliant here and there, but you have to wait for patches and mods to cut it to a real gem. That said, as a die-hard Fallout 1+2 fan I feel that FNV is a better cut gem right out of the box.

I completely agree. I think people will appreciate both games for what they are eventually and I have high hopes for what we can do with NV in the future. IMO the boarded up buildings and less populated wasteland is a good thing for modders. I see myself playing both FO3 and NV for a long time yet.

Dead on. Bethesda ended up with what?, Patch 1.7 (close to 7 incremental patches??) for Fallout 3 to fix the myriad of bugs and crash issues associated with that product. Without utilities like FOSE which paved the way for amazing mods like Real Time Settler, Fook, FWE and the like I would have shelved Vanilla Fallout 3 long ago. Only a matter of time New Vegas will gain the same benefit of the modding community.

Opening day release comparisons without Bethesda's near 7 patches for Fallout 3, no contest, New Vegas wins.