Beginner in Fallout Modding Help?

TehRoot

Hey guys, need some pointers and tips for getting started in fallout 3 and new vegas modding. I already have started playing around with the GECK and getting familiar with it, but I know that's not all I need to mod, so can anyone just point me to what I need to get going off on the right foot?

Cheers.

1) http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Main_Page

2) Download a very simple mod like one that adds items to the game world, look at how it works.

Easy mods like adding a single object to the game world take about a day to figure out. Harder mods like adding multiple entities, including adding items to existing containers or adding items to vendors can take a few days. Even harder mods like creating entire new locations can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks (or longer for the bigger and more ambitious projects).

It helps if you have a basic grounding in programming languages if you're going to try and do quests or scripts. Otherwise you're going to be in for a very rough road - and GECK is *not* helpful at pointing out what you did wrong in your script.

Wow Wup, I had no idea. I have been messing with G.E.C.K. for four days staright and I am having a difficult time myself trying to figure out how to build a simple player home. I have looked over every writen and video tutorial Bethesda has and still lack what I need [no doubt, a logical brain].

Now, I think I understand why I fail. It takes a good long time and a lot of work to produce a mod. You modders are amazing talent.

~ Old guy.

P.S. I have been trying to copy and then move a current world building to another location and use as a player home. Simple enough, right? Not for knuckle head me. Gads.

Theres some good tutorials at the FO3 nexus, some stuff wont work in NV, but most basic stuff will, like making a container, making new items with existing mesh, etc... you should also check youtube, can find some good tutorials there.

P.S. I have been trying to copy and then move a current world building to another location and use as a player home. Simple enough, right? Not for knuckle head me. Gads.

I would classify moving a world building to another location as "moderately difficult". There's a lot of underlying concepts that have to be learned to do that.

I started doing a few things:

1) Find a model that is floating above the surface, figure out how to move it and create a new ESP in GECK and have it work in game. Get a basic work flow going, figure out where everything is and make a plan for how to make backups of your work regularly (so that you can revert to an earlier ESP file).

(I stuff everything into a SVN repository, so for my main ESP file, I generally change a few things, then commit it to SVN with a comment. If I screw up, I have a nice list of previous versions that I can revert to along with comments of what I changed.)

2) Add elements to the game world (such as random clutter, or a weapon, or a loot container).

3) Tweaking settings like the Pipboy brightness effect or color.

4) Creating message windows or alerts (that appear in the upper left) and using start-up quests to do some initial scripting.

Then I slowly got into the more advanced things like NavMesh (which I'm learning this weekend) or scripting (randomly hiding skillbooks, or moving the snow globes around) or placing actors.

Takes time - I was very much underwater for the first 2-3 weeks until I got used to the tools, how to move around in the 3D window and what keys *not* to hit which would suddenly cause me to touch a bunch of records/objects that I really didn't want touched.