Just a discussion: A mod that allows you to take control of your followers...

SiniVII

So here's the idea behind this.

Imagine you'd make your own companion/courier #2, and that you'd be able to level up this character the same way you could level up and assign perks to the courier.

This would allow for some interesting dual-roleplaying.

When you take control of one character, the other would become a companion complete with the interface and commands of one (but without the dialogue). Now if you face a situation that the courier is not equipped for, you would be able to switch and allow courier #2 to handle it instead since it would be more appropriately equipped to deal with it.

I really don't have any intentions or hopes of seeing a mod like this realized, I just want to see people discuss and add their own ideas to it, purely for discussions sake.
Bluntly put, I am curious about people's opinions of such a thing.

If you've played Wasteland 2, you know what I am talking about.

Well the problem is that the all the characters in the game and the entire story is based off just having one Courier... :\

Actually, that's an interesting topic of it's own.

Do we ever find out what happens to Courier #1-6?

We only have Ulysses' word that most Couriers in the Mojave work on behalf of Caesar, but other than that Johnson Nash mentions that #1-6 all received their payments for delivering the packages, whereas only Courier #7's was ambushed.

If so, it seems there's plenty of empty space here to fill in the blanks yourself.

Actually you're just the sixth courier to carry an item to Mr House.

Ulysses was to be #6 but he declined after seeing your name next on the list, thus you took his place as #6... ^^

The others (or atleast most of them) probably made it safely to Mr House with their dummy items and left the Mojave before you even woke up. XD

Edited by Danny159

Right, my bad for getting the facts mixed up.

Well there was a courier outside Nash's office, but I can't recall which one it was or if it even was one of 'Them Packages' couriers Nash mentions.

Still though, we can assume that most couriers (who didn't die) made it safely out of the Mojave, that pretty much ends their chapter.
Or, you could make use of the free-reign you have with this situation and fill in the blanks yourself. Now there would still be "The Courier"(The Player(Who got shot in the head)), so I don't think having an additional courier in the game would hurt.

But the point wasn't really about the couriers, it was more of the idea that you'd essentially be playing and leveling up two characters simultaneously, just switching controls back and forth depending on the situations they'd face.
You could have a tougher character for the messy situations, and a skill-focused character who is not as tough or combat proficient, but is useful for everything else.

Now I realize, in New Vegas it's insanely easy to be both of these things at once, but this is things you really can tweak yourself. If you put some limitations on your skill-gain and SPECIAL points to justify such a drastic change.

Well ok that in Wasteland 2 you start with a party, but it's also true that you control and level up people that join to you after a certain time, till Cali(almost the end of the game) you find new meat for your party. In the same way I think in NV it would be nice too, you command and level up people like Boone, Veronica etc.etc. I woulnt' like to have a party from start, I always figured the Courier all alone like the Lone Wanderer.

Unrelated note, we're pretty near to make this possible via script