ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Console key bind !

Jcs19

plz can someone make a mod to change the key for console? i can't use ², i have vista.

In short, no. That would require an engine mod and I don't think its possible.

I don't see why vista causes this problem, your keyboard might be programmed incorrectly, (for example english UK rather than english US)

There is one on fallout 3

I have a french keyboard (azerty)

Thats your problem, the console key is tied to the tilde key (`~). You MIGHT be able to change it in the Fallout_default ini, if it's in there, but it's a longshot to be honest. But looking in the ini file, there is nothing pertaining to the console key or any key for that matter.

Looking at the mod page, current NV Modders can't do this because it requires a script extender, and we don't have one for New Vegas yet, once a script extender for New Vegas comes out though, I'm sure a Console Key Binder mod will show up.

This has nothing to do with Vista, it works the same as XP & Win7. What it does have to do with is the keyboard scan code. The standard code for ~ is h29 (Hexadecimal value 29, or Decimal 41) This code resolves into ~ for the English keyboard, but for other characters on other language keyboards - Although it is usually in the same position - just to the left of the numeral 1, just below the esc key and above the tab key. On older keyboards (early 1980's 84 key keyboard) the ~ key was in a completely diferent location, but still used the same key code.

For some reason beyond my comprehension, Microsoft decided to disable the tilde key (~) when they have infrared turned on. On most desktop computers this is not a problem because they don't have IR capability. However, for laptops and media center desktops, as well as those desktops that do have an infrared receiver/transmitter it is a nuisance.

On non-English keyboards the key in question is the one to the left of the 1 key on the top line. Whatever its symbol.

On the media center PC, the simplest fix is to unplug the IR from the PC. The tilde immediately returns to use.

On those with an IR that can not be simply unplugged, you will need to go into the control panel to disable IR.

On an XP system: Vista will be similar

Start>Settings>Control Panel

click on 'System' then the Hardware tab, then the 'Device Manager'

Find the infrared port

Under the section labeled 'Device usage' select 'Do not use this Device (disable)'

Click on the OK below it.

A red x should appear over the IR port on the list of devices.

Of course, this will make anything that relies on the IR no longer function until you change it back.

Or, for Oblivion, you can use this mod as a work around: http://www.tesnexus....le.php?id=13133

And for Fallout 3 this one: http://www.fallout3n...ile.php?id=2637 :thumbsup:

This has nothing to do with Vista, it works the same as XP & Win7. What it does have to do with is the keyboard scan code. The standard code for ~ is h29 (Hexadecimal value 29, or Decimal 41) This code resolves into ~ for the English keyboard, but for other characters on other language keyboards - Although it is usually in the same position - just to the left of the numeral 1, just below the esc key and above the tab key. On older keyboards (early 1980's 84 key keyboard) the ~ key was in a completely diferent location, but still used the same key code.

For some reason beyond my comprehension, Microsoft decided to disable the tilde key (~) when they have infrared turned on. On most desktop computers this is not a problem because they don't have IR capability. However, for laptops and media center desktops, as well as those desktops that do have an infrared receiver/transmitter it is a nuisance.

On non-English keyboards the key in question is the one to the left of the 1 key on the top line. Whatever its symbol.

On the media center PC, the simplest fix is to unplug the IR from the PC. The tilde immediately returns to use.

On those with an IR that can not be simply unplugged, you will need to go into the control panel to disable IR.

On an XP system: Vista will be similar

Start>Settings>Control Panel

click on 'System' then the Hardware tab, then the 'Device Manager'

Find the infrared port

Under the section labeled 'Device usage' select 'Do not use this Device (disable)'

Click on the OK below it.

A red x should appear over the IR port on the list of devices.

Of course, this will make anything that relies on the IR no longer function until you change it back.

Or, for Oblivion, you can use this mod as a work around: http://www.tesnexus....le.php?id=13133

And for Fallout 3 this one: http://www.fallout3n...ile.php?id=2637 :thumbsup:

I have to uninstall the device, i can't disable it

when i restart windows, the infraed port will install again, its annoying

• 3 years later...
  • 8 years later...