Is this legal?

Kalizar

@Marharth: If you were to port something from FO3 that is not included in NV, Then upload it as your own work - I guarantee that it will be reported by one of our ever vigilant members with a few hours, and then taken down immediately with a ban for copyright infringement.

@Thaiauxn: Unfortunately the executives and lawyers get to make the rules on what we can port between games and not the developers. The staff here would like for all ports between games to be allowed also. But we are not interested in being sued or threatened with a shut down for allowing copyright infringement - They have more lawyers than we do - so we follow their rules whether we like them or not.

Quick question on this, couldn't you just port something from fallout 3 and claim you made it yourself?

Like lets say I were to create the exact same model and texture from one in fallout 3, would that be legal or not?

Have you SEEN the level of scrutiny the staff here is willing to put into verifying that work someone claims as their own really is? Are you looking to get the Banhammer dropped on you?

(But hey, LHammonds, Vagrant, Buddha, some of those mesh and texture close-up comparisons are kinda' pretty!)

Quick question on this, couldn't you just port something from fallout 3 and claim you made it yourself?

Like lets say I were to create the exact same model and texture from one in fallout 3, would that be legal or not?

Have you SEEN the level of scrutiny the staff here is willing to put into verifying that work someone claims as their own really is? Are you looking to get the Banhammer dropped on you?

(But hey, LHammonds, Vagrant, Buddha, some of those mesh and texture close-up comparisons are kinda' pretty!)

He wasn't asking about it getting taken down, he was saying "What if I made an exact copy?" rhetorically.

If the mesh and textures are already in the game, and hundreds of FO3 meshes are in NV but not used - then you can use it in your mod with no problem. If you are making a copy of a mesh from another game that is not already included - then we will superimpose your mesh on top of the original game mesh - that makes it easy to see if you actually did make your own, copied theirs or took theirs and made a few cosmetic changes to try and fool us. If you do make your own there will be almost no correspondence between the two.

If you actually make a copy that looks like theirs technically it is OK, but in the remote chance you get sued, you are going to be in front of a judge who has no clue what a mesh is, let alone a vertex map - It looks like theirs, so it is theirs - guilty! I suggest making it enough different that a nearsighted 70 year old judge with no clue about making textures or meshes can see it's not the same.

In reality it will never get to court. You will get a nasty letter from a lawyer demanding that you take it down and pay $3000 or they will take you to court where you will be sued for $50,000. The lawyer doesn't care if it has a totally different mesh he just wants you to pay up. He knows that if you call another lawyer you will be quoted a minimum of $5000 to defend you - It's cheaper to pay. Yes, it is abuse of the legal system, but who is going to do anything about it? the lawmakers? they are all lawyers!

Funny thing is, that I am pretty sure that neither obsidian nor bethesda knows what is actually in Fallout New Vegas included and what not. Like said, they include tons of zeta stuff for no reason. How they would know if this table end is really in FNV or not. I think this site is a better lawkeeper, than even the official bethesda forum. Bethesda should pay you :thumbsup:

Funny thing is, that I am pretty sure that neither obsidian nor bethesda knows what is actually in Fallout New Vegas included and what not. Like said, they include tons of zeta stuff for no reason. How they would know if this table end is really in FNV or not. I think this site is a better lawkeeper, than even the official bethesda forum. Bethesda should pay you :thumbsup:

I get the feeling they included those resources to save themselves having to get onto every person who decides to port the meshes themselves. It does make their jobs easier. It's an oddity, though, especially when disc space is at a premium.

It occurs to me that they may have had plans to use some of those items, but in the push for product that bit of the game may have been shelved or may be part of the DLC or ?

Stuff happens, especially when you have corporate breathing down your neck.