Will Bethesda release a stand alone version ?

covari

Of course, the "to DRM or not to DRM" question is one discussed a lot. I can see both points of view and can argue both. My point really is that these companys are going to do what they're going to do, and we have a choice to buy their products or not. I felt (and still do) that NV was worth breaking down and finally climbing on the Steam wagon. Turns out it's not so bad up here. Can't say i wouldn't rather be without it, but auto updates are nice, the occasional ad thrown my way is obnoxious but still helpful, and i absolutely love not having to have the disc in the drive. It hasn't really disrupted anything or prevented me from playing in any way, other than having to open steam, find the game, then open it. The "download the whole game" thing pissed me off untill i realized it was my fault for not reading the instructions. I find it a net + over securom and similar DRM's. Of course there are those that disagree with me...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't bring up piracy into the discussion, nothing good ever came out of talking about it.

Using no-cd cracks illegal? pish posh. It's very much legal.

This is not a response about no-cd cracks, this is a response to the one that brought up the subject matter in the first place.

Please don't bring up piracy into the discussion, nothing good ever came out of talking about it.

Using no-cd cracks illegal? pish posh. It's very much legal.

This is not a response about no-cd cracks, this is a response to the one that brought up the subject matter in the first place.

What response. All i'm seeing is the one about "cracking IS legal".

People keep mentioning the DRM argument - why ?

DRM deosn't work, Fallout NV was cracked just hours after release so as a form of DRM, Steam isn't effective.

I betting the biggest reason Steam was used was to combat the 2ndhand games market, in fact I think its a dead cert that thats the case.

And apart from all that, forget all the Steam sucks / Steams great arguments, the bottom line is, it should have been up to the customer to decide.

Ie:

If you like Steam and want to use it, fine, buy it on Steam.

If you don't like Steam buy a retail version and deal with the securom or whatever issues.

Whats so wrong with that scenario, would it be oh so hard to do ?

We are the customers, its our money, it should be our choice.

Marthos, this is esactly what i'm saying. It WAS our choice. We knew months in advance that steam was going to be required. Myself, I decided it was worth it. If you didn't want steam, you could've refused to buy FONV. perhaps if enough people did this, bethsoft would've thought twice next time. However, NV pre-sold like mad, and has been doing gangbusters ever since. This tells the company that "we did good, let's follow this formula".

Marthos, this is esactly what i'm saying. It WAS our choice. We knew months in advance that steam was going to be required. Myself, I decided it was worth it. If you didn't want steam, you could've refused to buy FONV. perhaps if enough people did this, bethsoft would've thought twice next time. However, NV pre-sold like mad, and has been doing gangbusters ever since. This tells the company that "we did good, let's follow this formula".

I have refused to buy it, as you say "its our choice" and its not a choice I made lightly as I was looking foward to it very much.

The last time I had Steam on my PC I ended up out of pocket with a goosed operating system from a download / install that went haywire, Steam customer support turned round and told me it must have been a fault with my PC, when I queried this (as I 100% know it wasn't a fault at my end) I was told that if I raised the issue again, my account would be banned.

I have also emailed Bethesda and very politely told them how disappointed I am and that they have lost a customer, and then wished them well in their future endeavours.

I don't like Steam and I won't have it on my PC ever again but I don't knock those that do, I hope to god for all your sakes that Steam never goes bust or you are all going to be out of pocket and gameless, (yeh, I know what Valve have said they'd do if that happened but I also don't believe a word of it).