Blood Bowl Legendary Edition

Salamander8

This new version just got released a few days ago and I had to grab it. We had a league for this game in an older incarnation with the miniatures and the foam playing field (and the dungeonbowl variant too!) back in college (I'm talking 88-91 here :P ), and had a blast. Most of us actually even painted our teams, unlike our Warhammer armies, which many of us were guilty of fielding in 'primer' camouflage.

This version game uses the newer rules, but has a lot of variety of teams. The 2 commentators get a bit repetitive but are overall pretty funny. I'm trying a campaign with a custom team of the undead called the Tombstone Terrors and this sight of a Wight's touchdown dance made my day:

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab268/Salamander8888/Wighttouchdownsmall.jpg

My first match was against a wood elf team. They dodge like mad, but when one of my mummies did connect, it was rare they got back up. They definitely out-did my team in the cheerleader category however. Mine do look amusing as a skeleton dressed in sneakers and a mini-skirt with a blond wig though.

I still have Pigskin Footbrawl along with Mutant League Football and Hockey for my Genesis which is currently boxed but playable ;)

We had a blast with an older version of BB in college. My team was "The Nasty Slashas" and was a mix of goblins and skaven and trolls. One friend just had to use a chainsaw-wielding loony every game and we had one game where everyone was ignoring the ball and chasing the severed head of a player around to get the re-roll for it!

Aww sweet :D Sometimes I wish I didn't sell my games when the Sega kicked the bucket :( College....wow, I feel young now :P I remember playing Mutant League Football with my cousins at the age of 6 :P Never played the original Blood Bowl...was it for DOS? Some reason I remember a friend playing something similar to Pigskin Footbrawl on his computer.

There was a DoS version but it was poorly done, I still have it on CD-ROM here somewhere. The original game was actually played with miniatures on a foam, and later on, cardboard playing field. We all made our teams and then went and got the miniatures and most of them were even painted! For a long time Patrick had the only cheerleader, a dark elf he painted so he always won the damn cheer reroll. My fans had horrible chant, decent loyalty but max hooliganism, which let's face it, is the most important factor anyway. :tongue:

The DoS game I had a couple of years after college on my 486-25. :whistling:

Here's an example although this one is nicer than my old board (the pitch as it's called).

http://www.drunkdwarves.com/images/lamenters_pitch/001.JPG

Also here's a shot of my undead cheerleaders from a replay of my first game vs. the wood elf team (them being called the "green glades" is no surprise).

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab268/Salamander8888/undeadcheerleaderssmall.jpg

I've been up against the same wood elf team for both of my campaign games so far. Beat them 2-0 and 2-1. The little blighters have the best passing game of any race in the game, but they don't take hits well. They got that touchdown because the only 2 players I had in line to attempt an interception were a zombie and a mummy... So basically a free long pass. You can play the game in one of three ways; running, passing, or physical. And by physical I mean beat the crap out of the other team so you can score at your leisure. I prefer the physical method myself. The undead are a bit odd in game, as the physical strategy is the best for them, but they aren't the toughest per se, but are hard to keep down as they can just re-assemble. Mummies hit really hard, but are hopeless at handling the ball. Ghouls are great runners, but zombies and skeletons are slow and not overly skilled, and wights are better at hurting people than handling the ball, although they are better than everyone else but the ghouls.

ohh haha cool :D Never knew it was a board game. Ah...the good old days when they actually spent time on miniatures and action figures. Detailed and painted, not some squirted out plastic crap. My dad collected action figures when I was a kid, I got to play with such cool ones.

Sweet 486 :D My boyfriend has quite the collection of processors, he probably has one of those laying around somewhere :P

That looks pretty fun, might have to pick it up next paycheck :D

I've managed to play through the starting 'clean cup' tournament in the campaign game and win it, but most of my games were low scoring since the undead are not exactly masters of the passing game it takes longer to score and the game is only 16 turns long per team. My ghouls have gotten the most touchdowns as they are fast and a couple of TDs were scored by my wights, but mummies have trouble just picking the ball off the ground, much less trying to catch or throw!

It's a lot like the board game as I remember it although it's the later version after GW went off on their simplification binge, so there's some significant differences. There's still 3 ways to play; the passing game, the running game, and the physical game. I of course prefer the physical game as this is where you win by beating the other team so you can score without them interfering. Certain races excel at one or another, and some are more flexible, but maybe lacking in certain areas. The wood elves are the champions of the passing game, whereas the skaven prefer the running game, and the dwarves prefer a good physical brawl.

You get star player points as you do things like score touchdowns, injure opposing players, and etc., and you can get various skills that let you play the game better in one way or another. I'm mostly going for things that let me hurt my opponents more readily, but both of my ghouls have sure hands and catch now since they are the ones most likely to be able to manipulate the ball.

There's a lot of races, although you can't do mixed races as of yet, but they do have: Undead, Khemri (Egyptian-themed undead), Necromantic, Chaos, Nurgle, Amazon, Dark Elf, High Elf, Wood Elf, Elf, Human, Norse, Dwarf, Goblin, Skaven, Orc, Lizardmen, Halfling, Ogre, and Vampires. I may try goblins next as they have players with chainsaws and bombs. ;)

My first goblin team game I just finished was versus a Norse team and it was pretty crazy. On my team we have trolls, a chainsaw looney, a ball-and-chain wielding fanatic, a bombardier, and a goblin on a pogo-stick. On the other side you have berzerkers and at least one werewolf (although I never saw him shapeshift). I won 2-0 thanks to actually killing one of his players and injuring enough to blast a hole through his line before my secret weapons got sent off the pitch. I got my second score via an interception that turned into a brawl at the end zone!

This brings back some fond memories, football is a lot more fun this way! :thumbsup:

Chainsaw screenshot!

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab268/Salamander8888/chainsawlooney.jpg

Just got a touchdown with my pogostick goblin and his victory dance has him riding it like those old play horses from long ago. It's pretty funny.

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab268/Salamander8888/pogotouchdown.jpg

Edited by Salamander8

I should have had this link in the first post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-0iMaPLgQc&feature=fvst

I've tried a few teams so far, but mostly 'evil' and bashy teams. My ogre team, the Blackcrag Crushers is really doing well, even with the fact that ogre teams are actually filled up with snotlings (for those not used to Warhammer, snotlings are diminutive goblins, so we are talking tiny little guys), and snotlings are easily beat-up, but they are so small they're hard to pin down at least, and you can throw them like the ball. The little blighters are better at handling the ball than the ogres due to their agility, but when an ogre does score a touchdown, he eats the ball!