Solving the Dual Wielding issue

TurelAzure

So, I realize that this was deemed impossible due to limitations on the actual engine itself allowing multiple types of weapons at the same time (or what I read) but I am wondering of possible solutions on the engine. Now, I realize all these solutions are animation intensive, but I will also say that I have animation/modelling/texturing experience (and degrees). I also have all of the tools for such an endeavor.

First off, since this is based on Oblivion, the idea for two attacks already exists, as weapons can have multiple effects: can one of these be a second shot/attack? How much of this was removed for Fallout? I see the potential for special dual-wield guns that simply have an enchant effect akin to a second shot and an animation to make the appearance of dual wielding.

Next, in a proposal for another solution for this issue: A separate button for an offhand attack that is effectively a very quick weapon swap that uses the secondary weapon. normally or in VATS. Think something like the old grenade button mod, but faster (if possible). This means you would have 'off-hand' new weapons, but it has the potential to be functional. Once again, this would require a bit of animation for each of the offhand weapon type, but that's only a couple of weeks worth of it. This is my favorite idea, personally. Also because it would allow for something like an alternate fire mode for most weapons.

And lastly, but the most complicated if the above do not work: basically, you make an invisible follower with no dialog that's very small, and sits at the same center point of your character that fires a weapon when your character does. Honestly, this seems more complicated than the above, so I'm hoping something like this is not required. But it was a thought regardless, and may have other uses for something.

I am willing to do the animation work for any of this, but I need people to either help me with scripting once FOSE comes out, or tell me how I'm way off and this is indeed not possible.

But I do ask that the posts are honest FEEDBACK or talks for getting it going. Trolls be trollin elsewhere, I hope.

What about having the equip action 'morph' the player into a creature which holds the animation (most of it probably just reused from the player animation sets). I don't know if that would work - to my knowledge there are little rules (or help in GECK) for doing creatures, I've been thinking about trying to use a creature morph trick to deal with Power Armor (and make it a non-inventory item) as well as vehicles (J3X already made motorcycles work in FO3 so I'm pretty sure there is a way to creature morph or similar the player) but have no means to do model work and would need some more information on what RTS for FO3 did with Static Collections - pretty sure that'd be Speed Tree's area of the FO3 engine - as well as looking into Martins work on his/her mutant mod(he probably a wealth of info on what can and can't be done with creatures as well as how) - which would probably be how Beth built on Speed Tree's architecture [speed Tree being the Level of Detail System / graphics load optimiser / maybe transparent/background loader too possibly].

I deal mainly with scripts and data architecture and absolutely Hate the GECK UI so I've only thought about doing some modding, haven't done anymore than simple merges of others mods for personal use. However I can verify that you would only have 1 projectile unless you managed to mess around with what RTS did with static collections (ie. make them work with dynamics/creatures/NPC's - each actual creature being equal to a limb of a group creature while group being a logical(non-real) creature or an actual creature/leader creature morphed into the greater/squad creature which would have the enhanced AI code and functionality associated with the squad/group creature) and make each weapon a different creature acting in tandem with each other -inheriting stats/variables from the greater creature which is where the player data would be stored (which would also mean custom AI code).

Also without the data controls provided by FOSE it would perform very poorly or be very limited in scope/function (functionality would have to be built & run thru scripts which is totally incapable of real-time high load processing in the engine) as the GECK data functions are unbelievably rigid and limited - I feel sorry for any dev that had to spend 8+ hours making a professional product using those tools/functions, ugh I'd more likely commit very heinous and inhumane acts on my supervisor than do that and thats coming from someone who had to make professional code using peek/poke and ADD & MOV statements.

Also another thought, after checking post ("oblivion") gave me an idea - most actions were 'spells' with physical/melee attacks being a highly detailed & customised spell, you could probably associate a spell that fires an action over a time period [or spawn an entity that doesn't appear to be an entity /invisible providing second projectile mechanisms and/or distorting/affecting player model possibly] with the Block/Aim command but you would need to ask/research around Oblivion's mod forums for info on that and see if you could do it in FNV (the block and attack actions would conflict so you'd have to do most of the offhand action in the EFFECT portion the spell including all animation - not sure how much modeling/animation can be done in the EFFECTs area as there is hooks for special graphics but would have to check with modders that enhanced/alter base game special effects like fire plasma etc. - there were a few for FO3).

I'm not sure how much of that is possible but a lot of stuff was removed from the oblivion version of gamebryo compared to fallout version as well as a lot of the OBSE commands and data haven't been ported over into the FOSE and especially NVSE. That's still a lot of work and testing for something so small and the few who have the skill set to even attempt such a task most likely wont really be willing to dedicate that much time and effort into something that may or may not work as that's still a lot of trial and error and only a theory...

i know this is sort of a tangent, but is there even newly created animations for unarmed and melee attacks in FO3? It seems like noone has any new animations sans some gun ones. Does anyone know if we can use unarmed animations from oblivion? Lastly, Iono if you have seen the Sick Smoking Style (Devil May Cry) Mod for Oblivion that had dual pistol shooting maybe you can utilize a similar technique to place it into this game. O and even now i was just thinking, why dont you create one gun in which its shows two guns in the players hand, and when the player shoots with that gun (say the right gun fires), create a script that removes that gun and replaces it with another gun with the same look however the left handed gun is the one that fires. They can just keep alternating and so forth. Ive seen this guy create dual weilding blades
i think his name is juunin or something. So i really dont see what the problem is if he can do it.

I recognize that left-handed sword stroke from Seph's dual wielding mod in Oblivion...looks like this person ported over some of the animation from that game and created a new model for a "second sword", which is really just an apparel that looks like a sword held in the left hand. In Oblivion, the left hand would be a shield.

From what I could tell from the video, the left handed attacks are all power attacks, seeing as how his character made a grunting noise whenever it happened. It also didn't happen very often, only like two or three times.

With guns, you can't do a power attack animation, so you don't have 5 extra animations to work with.

Another factor with the differance of FO and Oblivion was Oblivion was kind of setup to have 2 weapon attacks already (sort of) since you had the shield bash for offhand FO doesnt have that feature unfortunatly :(

Best Regards

Vampessa

wait. you can just take oblivion animations and place them in fallout?

Some transfer some dont since the skelington has slight differances (eg less limbs on hands etc), things like jump etc work but combat and movement require some tweaking, or at least thats been my experiance from trying to move things from Oblivion to FO3 when I started playing FO3

As for the dual blade vid clip isnt exactly dual blade it just uses the mesh on the offhand if you watch it it is just doing the normal 1hmelee attack the other sword is just following the normal path of the other arm