Help Generating LOD

JoshBadWriter

Off topic

And this site, although it is in Italian, has points you need to hit. http://falloutthegame.forumfree.it/?t=67880767

Oh my god, I wrote that! *lol* And I even name you, in a part... :wink:

Well, excluding that... the main reason of this message is thanking someone that once used his computer to make my LOD. And it took TWO WEEKS. And I guess I never thanked him enough. Oh and I don't want to make names because I'm not sure if it's fair and he wants it. I'll just say he's in this thread. Thank you, publicly.

XD that's awesome! I used google trying to find Freddie's old forum post where he basically ripped the GECK LOD system apart, but I found your site and was like... Well, close enough. :tongue: Freddie has forgotten more about LOD than I will ever know. I'm glad you wrote that up for our Italian modders. They're probably under-served.

CENNI SUL LOD - IL SOGNO CHE DIVENTA INCUBO

Made me laugh so hard... It's true.

Edited by Thaiauxn

It took me about 3 hours (lol, I'm bored :tongue:) but I found it! I had to search through about 10 million emails, but i found Freddie's message about his rigg's specs for handling mass scale LOD. There were 195 emails in that thread from 2013! XD

""

OH, I spent a couple days getting the beast running, I have bought the wrong cases Antec three hundreds. have 6 of em, but this board spaces the sli at S1 S4 S7 for tri and last card hits the PS, Antec 300 is no way small, but I guess I need a full tower for this board. So tomorrow I try again, or build another 790i E8600 DDr3 SLI, I have two of those left also. And wait on the AsRock Extreme7 Gen 3 2550k till later, still think it will work well on FO3 with only two cores runnin at 4.5ghz.
790i will only do 3.8 on a e8600.

freddy

""

I also realized that to trim down on the size of Chunks and Blocks, we went int FNVEdit and trimmed down the cell data outside the range manually to ensure that our heightmap was SQUARE, in ^2 iterations. (512, 1024, etc). If the Heightmap is not square, then GECK will not render LOD. You can accidentally create cells just by letting the explorer stray past a cell boundary wile painting terrain or placing objects. So in FNVedit, delete any cells that create fringe outside the boundaries. They will be named something greater than 0,0, 1,0, 01, 1,1, -1 etc...

Edited by Thaiauxn

@Thaiauxn

1st Didn't know that one on Freddy's rig, but the same line I set up my rig for NV LOD makings, dual core E8500 O.C. pushed but not to much to still keep it stable.

2nd This is very much true, but still think it's more to find out what makes GECK flip out at certain kind of layouts. However make the world space SQUARE in ^2 cell block boundaries and use FNVEdit to delete any orphanage cells outside is a must do to create big water worlds, otherwise you get strange anomalies.

CENNI SUL LOD - IL SOGNO CHE DIVENTA INCUBO

Had to check that out with google translate and fully agree :laugh:

Thanks to you and Fallout2AM for making my evening! Pondering if I should use it as a wisdom proverb under my forum posts...

Personally I don't think it's really really really useful, it mainly contains what you can find on Beth GECK guide + engineer guild + few personal considerations and personal experience.

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea unifying everyone's personal experience, adding more details, and make some "serious" guide on worldspaces, I think there's a lack on that.

Fallout2AM: Agree completely, there is definitely lack of a comprehensive guide on creating proper LOD, particularly object LOD. The engineering guild The Truancy Factory one has been in my bookmarks for a long time, but it doesn't really cover object LOD, and the GECK wiki seems to be wrong on it.

Edited by RoyBatterian