ME>DA>ME2>DA2: Perspectives...

SpellAndShield

Hooooooold your horses there friend. :P Why is ME2 better than ME? I liked the 1st one better.Better atmosphere, more options , more weapons more armor , MORE FREEDOM, after it's supposed to be an RPG right? So , the sequel had better graphics but as far as the storyline goes they both are great.That's my point of view anyway.

Hello Star! Long time no see.

Lets start with the basics, ME wasn't great in game shooting mechs but the plot was strong. ME2 had stronger shooter mechs but lacking plot. DA had a strong plot but some broken game mechs (especially the console version) and DA2 is fixing the issue seem to be top priority. I don't worry about the story that much because it's the same writing team as the first unlike ME which several moved to TOR.

That said I feel we are going to murky waters about RPG's. Let me state one thing; more stuff doesn't make a good RPG. They are purely cosmetic and I would rather be unique rather than be generic. Question to you all; have you ever taken Morrigan's robes off? Or gave Sten a better sword than his own? I couldn't because that's what makes them unique and it's a way to connect with them. Besides The Witcher does the same thing, and people say that it is good! There is limited inventory, only four armour in-game and voiced protagonist (it will be the same in TW2 more on ME side), same way that DA2 is going but more on the PS:T side. That said, BioWare always had fixed protagonists which were human before DA2, who can forget Kotor and JE.

With that little off-topic rant said, DA2 plus any expansion is going to have Hawke only. I don't see BW wanting to keep Hawke like ME series and probably will switch to a new protagonist as the whole point of DA is based on Thedas, unlike ME which is based on one person. So DA2 would only have a voiced protagonist and DA3 and beyond might involve something else. Basically it's like TES series, and how you have new protagonist in each new game. So I have no issues on that and I really don't have an issue as long as they have a master plan, which Gaider and crew do thank goodness.

Hello Star! Long time no see.

Lets start with the basics, ME wasn't great in game shooting mechs but the plot was strong. ME2 had stronger shooter mechs but lacking plot. DA had a strong plot but some broken game mechs (especially the console version) and DA2 is fixing the issue seem to be top priority. I don't worry about the story that much because it's the same writing team as the first unlike ME which several moved to TOR.

That said I feel we are going to murky waters about RPG's. Let me state one thing; more stuff doesn't make a good RPG. They are purely cosmetic and I would rather be unique rather than be generic. Question to you all; have you ever taken Morrigan's robes off? Or gave Sten a better sword than his own? I couldn't because that's what makes them unique and it's a way to connect with them. Besides The Witcher does the same thing, and people say that it is good! There is limited inventory, only four armour in-game and voiced protagonist (it will be the same in TW2 more on ME side), same way that DA2 is going but more on the PS:T side. That said, BioWare always had fixed protagonists which were human before DA2, who can forget Kotor and JE.

With that little off-topic rant said, DA2 plus any expansion is going to have Hawke only. I don't see BW wanting to keep Hawke like ME series and probably will switch to a new protagonist as the whole point of DA is based on Thedas, unlike ME which is based on one person. So DA2 would only have a voiced protagonist and DA3 and beyond might involve something else. Basically it's like TES series, and how you have new protagonist in each new game. So I have no issues on that and I really don't have an issue as long as they have a master plan, which Gaider and crew do thank goodness.

Depends on what you mean by master plan. I don't think they have fixed ideas about DA3 but yes you are right about it being about the entire world. In ME it's about Shepard (and well, the galaxy as well). To be honest, I am going to be sad as hell if ME3 means (truly means) the end of the ME universe. There still seems to be a lot they could do. The end of Shepard's journey? Sure. But they could still do so much more. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the ME universe lives on...now, I agree about more stuff not being better. In ME2, you do have A LOT less but the combat is much better. I don't mean to get down on DA but when you need player modders to reintroduce entire scenes that are SUPPOSED to have been there anyway or fix literally dozens of bugs that the developers just left dangle, I don't know, it's kind of sad. I never really thought about it but you are right; it does have a TES feel to it (only in the sense of exploring different parts of the globe in each game). I am sure it will be awesome...now if I could only get the money together for an alienware lappy...ah well.

It is like several points or the overall story. I'm sure that Gaider and crew didn't dwell that much in DA3 but I'm sure that they are starting in the planning stages of it. I'm also sure that whatever expansion has been started and everything is set for the va and other stuff. I'm sure that with the success of their new IP's means more games and expansions in other media. I can clearly see a ME RTS, if done right. DA is going the same route but I don't know how long it will last. Will it be three or five games? I don't know. All I know that we are going somewhere near TES.

Strange how ME2 is better than the first one; the KOTOR games are the opposite. Bioware didn't even complete KOTOR2 :< and they cut out a whole lot of story, so your ending is so unfulfilling (and I liked it so much too :<).

Just a minor correction: KoTOR2 was not developed by BioWare. It was developed by Obsidian Entertainment.

Strange how ME2 is better than the first one; the KOTOR games are the opposite. Bioware didn't even complete KOTOR2 :< and they cut out a whole lot of story, so your ending is so unfulfilling (and I liked it so much too :<).

Just a minor correction: KoTOR2 was not developed by BioWare. It was developed by Obsidian Entertainment.

It has Bioware's name on it too though, and they are making the Star Wars: The Old Republic which is after the KOTOR series. They did a lot of work on the KOTOR series.

It has Bioware's name on it too though,

Which is meaningless in this case.

Development process was handed over to Obsidian, so if the game was bad, Obsidian should be blamed for messing it up, plus damaging BioWare's good reputation.

Quote:

"The change of developers came at BioWare's suggestion based on their familiarity with Obsidian Entertainment's previous work, as BioWare was busy developing Jade Empire and started focusing on their own intellectual properties."

what the hell is happening to GOOD games, eye candy all over the place.

as soon as the developer team announce the feature of DA2, i knew i would skip it

the community is really 50/50 on the game, but being a gamer since the 80s and seeing the products that are offered those days is just like sand in the eyes.

so DA2, after seeing some game play footage, i felt is was ridiculous. The darkspawns are not even menacing on looks plus they move like the bad guys in early power ranger shows. hawks is locked on presets based on class which don't change looks, more size and weapon. For the rapid combat, ok yeah it goes fast but hey it's a game so you are suppose to have the time to play in the first place, may i add that swinging that huge pole sword should have a feel of weight. The gore element is way exaggerated, in fact it's not even gore, it's just huge splashes of red pixels.

some might like it, but me i really didn't like what i saw in the video

I have seen the console videos too (as I'm the unofficial reporter of DA2 for the Nexus forums)... and all I saw was Origins under the hood. I know people who played the demo who said the same thing. Just because that we have some shifty footage doesn't mean that it is the end of the world. The demo is not the final product, it is just a stable part of the game that is over 6 months old. I saw plenty of demos in my short lifetime to know that it doesn't represent the final product. If anyone wishes to go to my thread "What is known about DA2", you can find plenty of dev comments who say otherwise to views of half the people from the BSN. I didn't like the darkspawn look in DA2, then again I didn't like Origins either (so LOTOR) but now I'm getting use to DA2 darkspawn. DA needs to be different from it's competitors in the market as it was generic in art direction and story.

I think also we all need to move away from the nostalgia of the 80's and 90's and some people need to stop praising the BG series as the best RPG of all time. There have been plenty of BioWare products that have human protagonists before ME like Kotor and JE and plenty more RPG's that had limited inventory before ME2 like PS:T and JE. Are these RPGs bad? I think we all need to wait out but I trust the devs because they are the ones who are making the product and they are the ones who are playing it over and over again. If anyone doesn't like it I understand but I don't think it's right that the final product should be based from bad footage and an old demo. We need more info and and a better gameplay footage for consoles and PC just to see the difference.

I also wanted to say that I'm glad that BW is improving the console version dramatically as Origins version was terrible. If anyone played Origins in consoles should be very happy with the improvements for DA2. Also a final note, as many of who think that DA2 will be console port, it is not as Mark Laidlaw has repetitively said till his lungs ran out of breath that the PC and console are being developed simultaneously. So chill and wait for the final product or don't buy it at all. The Witcher 2 or other RPGs should suit your needs even though you have less choices in TW2 than in DA2.

Wow... I need a breather