Bethseda: why can't they make good stories?

SpellAndShield

I actually quiet enjoyed the idea and the story with Mass Effect. Going to get the second one pretty soon. I liked the idea and well the darkness behind it. If bethesda made Mass Effect then it would probably be a great game but with just not as much story to it.

Combining Mass Effect and Oblivion would be like gaming heaving for me. But it wont happen :( lol.

As someone said earlier, both companies should stick to what they good at, So Bioware keep making games with great storylines and gameplay, While Bethesda keeping making games with huge and wonderful words, which can than be modded to make even better

Daggerfall had (to me, anyway) A fantastic story with incredible lore. I think that as their target audience has grown to encompass consoles they've scaled back on storyline, lore, quests and dialogue for improved graphics. I sometimes joke to my partner that TES VII will have photorealistic graphics but take place within one square mile and have two quests :P

Also, different people work on different games. Story writers from the previous games leave, new ones with different styles come in. A consistent staff would make for better storytelling.

I didn't like mass effect 2 as much as mass effect 1 because there was less exploring. I love oblivion and fallout. I haven't played new vegas just because i think it's more of the same. Same with shivering isles, a game can only last as long i guess. At some point you have kinda like see n it all, all you need is to play a new kinda of game but which one, i just finished oblivion and i'm looking for something new but what i'm thing metro 2033...

I luv bethesda games, and I'm loving FONV!!

But... Bethseda didn't made it. :blink:

People the whole point of this thread has to deal with RPG philosophies. I know that some love Bethseda for exploration and beg BioWare in their forums for more exploration but that's not BioWare's style or emphasis of RPGs, same thing for Bethseda about story. Bethseda has lately put more emphasis to open world while BioWare goes in the opposite direction. Obviously the OP wants to know why Bethseda cannot make a strong story like BioWare does and the simple answer is that depending on limitations on the engine and RPG philosophy. If I want exploration I go to Bethseda, if I want a good story experience I go to BioWare. There is no right or wrong RPG, developers (like people) have different ideas for RPGs and we should accept that.

Though the 'main story' of F3 and Fallout New Vegas might not be anything near the games of Bioware, there's a lot of lore hidden through the world. Also most explorable locations have a little story to them, subtly placed in terminals that work towards the moment when the player finally knows the entire story.

As said before though, both companies have a different approach and stick to what they're best at. We are lucky enough to get to pick the type of game that suits us the best :)

To not have a good story in general, even in an open world game, deserves no excuse. Unfortunately, like Brokenergy stated, these games center around immediate action, thrill, and explorable enviorments for the player to be emersed in. This, of course, is a way to get out of focusing on a strong story, which IMO, makes no sense whatsoever. To me, one of the most important game elements is the story, and Bethseda just isn't good at it, nor was Obsidian at New Vegas according to the reviews (since I have yet to try it). Fallout 3 would have gone into legend, I assure you, if the story was as solid as the gameplay. But they got sloppy, and cocky, and they've paid the price for it. Hopefully with Fallout V, they'll finally learn their lesson. Edited by Keanumoreira