Back in Your Own Backyard

nexus464

****May contain minor spoilers****

Hello,

I'm trying to understand the reputation system, I'm doing now Back in Your Own Backyard, I've tried to save the troopers, so I did a lot of sneaking, killed all the legion members one by one, and always checked my stances with them by inspecting my compass, after each successful kill, all the markers are still white.

I've cleared all of Nelson and the surrounding posts and my reputation is still natural, I guess, because I don't see the legion on the pip-boy status screen and if I explore far away areas all the legion recruits are natural to me, but the moment I free the troopers in Nelson, with no one around to watch, the markers at future encounters with the legion are red. They attack me on the spot, and if I fire back and kill them I go through all the stages of - Shunned - hated - vilified. It means that my reputation was OK even with the red markers, how come?

Will I be able to correct it ? Will I miss a part of the game because of it? Should I kill the troopers instead? I've tried killing them but the outcome is the same. It looks like any action of mine done in Nelson has the same outcome with or without legion member near by.

There is a near by mine which is also a side quest with the same dilemma, I can enter it peacefully but I'll never come out peacefully.

Is there a way to eat the cake and have it too?

Many thanks.

So... You want to kill legion guys by the dozens, but you want your reputation to be good? :teehee:

Not exactly, I've managed to sneak on them without any damage to reputation, the release of the prisoners at Nelson triggers the legion as enemy WITHOUT any damage to reputation, this is what I don't understand.

Thanks for your reply.

The reason you the enemy status is that you're freeing Legion prisoners, and the game registers that despite the fact that there's really nobody around to witness it. And thus, via magical means unknown to me as the Legion (supposedly) doesn't use technology, the news spreads to all of them. Oh, and the fact that they wear football pads might have something to do with it. They're jealous of your armor.

On a similar note, though, you don't have to HURT the Legion to make them mad at you, you can simply help their enemies (NCR, mainly) for the same effect.

The reason you the enemy status is that you're freeing Legion prisoners, and the game registers that despite the fact that there's really nobody around to witness it. And thus, via magical means unknown to me as the Legion (supposedly) doesn't use technology, the news spreads to all of them. Oh, and the fact that they wear football pads might have something to do with it. They're jealous of your armor.

On a similar note, though, you don't have to HURT the Legion to make them mad at you, you can simply help their enemies (NCR, mainly) for the same effect.

Thanks RZ1029, so as a result of doing that quest are any quests for/with the legion closed for me? Or is it things back to normal after several game days like in FO3? I mean reputation remains but the enemy stance is forgotten?