Thinking about starting to create my own items, a few questions

jonas66

I've been reading through the big posted tutorial that's in the construction set wikia, but I was hoping to get confirmation on the programs I'd need in order to create my own stuff.

Nifskope (obviously) for the meshes.

I've gathered I can use the GIMP with a .dds plugin to work with the textures that already exist, but wasn't sure about new ones. (Also, is there a plugin installation that completes the task for you, because I seem to recall trying this once and it just gave me the files to put where they were supposed to go)

Now, the 3d modeller is the one I'm concerned about. The tutorial suggest 3ds max, and links to the 30 day trial, but I'd rather have something that I can keep. I looked at the actual product, and it's almost $4000, and suffice to say I'm not paying that much to be a casual modder for my Bethesda games. I saw somewhere that maybe Blender was another option, but I've had trouble getting the exported obj. files from nifskope to open in Blender.

If anyone has any suggestions to add, I'd be greatly appreciative. I've wanted to learn how to do this since Morrowind, and never gotten around to it due to the seemingly steep learning curve. I'd like to see if I could actually move past that this time around.

In order to run Blender to do so, you'll need a few programs. First thing to do is to download Blender from the TESNexus host, as the file contains everything you need: Blender, Python, Nifscripts, and NifSkope.

Once you have it downloaded, install the contained files in this order: Python, Blender, NifSkope, NifScripts. Once that's been done, the imports should work properly.

Blender is gonna do what you need to do just fine no reason to pay for commercial program.

You dont need to import or export obj files cause the nifscripts let you importand export nifs.

When you read a tutorial about how to do something make sure to check the date.

The nifscripts have gone through many improvements over the years and old tutes go obsolete.

Read at the niftools forum for up to date information.

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/NifTools

In the interim I've gotten the nifs to load correctly, I'm glad to know that Blender will suit my needs.

One possible pointer you could give me. If you have a complete mesh but want to get rid of a certain section (for instance, one arm of a set of pauldrons), is there ANY way to do that quickly, as opposed to deleting every triangle in the whole mesh? Only tutes I've found on the subject say you gotta go the tedious route, but I'm holding out a thin hope

It's not particularly tedious. Just hold down CTRL while dragging the mouse do do a loop select, or press L with your mouse of the section you want to remove to select all vertices connected to that section.

The easy way is to learn to model correctly and not try to use finished models to make new one's.this is why most people give up. it's to much work. results are sloppy and you never learn to use the the tool set properly. learn to use the modifiers.

my skills continue to improve the more I know the tool set and I have yet to create anything from another model or body part.

there are so many video's that you can watch and follow along with with your blender open and just do what they do. tag all the best one's so you can go back an refresh your memory as blender has many parts and it will take a long time to memorize them all.

good luck