Gameplay is better than TES5

vram1974

Adding the mod "Warzones" to NV seems to have helped with the whole big worlds with nothing in them problem.

Now I just have to wrap my head around this factions thing because in Skyrim you only had to choose between the Stormcloaks and the Imperials lol

I love Skyrim, but the characters are all a little bland and none of it I found super engaging. Didn't stop me from playing a few hundred hours of course but still. I stick with it because of the amazing mods that are available that spice it up to my taste, but I always find myself back in New Vegas one way or another. If nothing else, you have to agree many of the characters have character, like there is not one companion I hate in NV. In Skyrim there are few characters I find very interesting. I appreciate story and good writing, so as much as I really do have a fondness for Skyrim, "you are the chosen one go punch that dragon and I don't know find the thing to fight the big dragon" doesn't have the same impact as "you are a kid from a vault searching for his father and you untangle the web of lies which your life has been based upon as you make your way through a ravaged nuclear apocalypse" as well as "you are a courier shot in the head and in your quest to find the man that shot you you're going to turn the tides in a battle for the fate of the entire Mojave wasteland to the side of your choosing, you are a tyrant or a saint".

I mean there's a Civil War in Skyrim that's similar, but what do you really do? The quest lines are identical.

I mean there's a Civil War in Skyrim that's similar, but what do you really do? The quest lines are identical.

It's like the rest of the game, nothing you do makes any difference to anything or matters in the slightest. I got a few hundred hours out of it as a modding platform and somewhere to take screenshots in, I couldn't care less about the "story" or "characters".

It's like the rest of the game, nothing you do makes any difference to anything or matters in the slightest. I got a few hundred hours out of it as a modding platform and somewhere to take screenshots in, I couldn't care less about the "story" or "characters".

I only got about 30/40 hours out of skyrim because I was playing it at a friends house but even in that short time I got board very quickly. The NPCs are all so dull and none of the quests were at all memorable, they usually involved climbing a mountain to enter a dungeon where you'd fight the zombies, mechanical robots or these blind creatures.

At least fallout 3 had some memorable side quests like the Android one or the tenpenny tower and memorable NPCs. New Vegas is still the best though.

I only got about 30/40 hours out of skyrim because I was playing it at a friends house but even in that short time I got board very quickly. The NPCs are all so dull and none of the quests were at all memorable, they usually involved climbing a mountain to enter a dungeon where you'd fight the zombies, mechanical robots or these blind creatures.

At least fallout 3 had some memorable side quests like the Android one or the tenpenny tower and memorable NPCs. New Vegas is still the best though.

I think Bethesda's biggest problem is the low standard of their writing, not very interesting stories are told badly, characters are dull and uninteresting while companions are one dimensional tropes. I got FO3 on release, by the time I'd left Vault 101 I'd spent more time facepalming at the nonsense going on in front of me than I'd spent doing anything else. I arrived in Megaton and found that full of NPCs who seemed to be suffering from various forms of mental illness, I can't think of one who sounded normal, it's was a town of freaks and weirdos, all of whom speak to you like you're a subnormal child, I turned it off and didn't return for months.

Skyrim is the same, the NPCs are badly written and one dimensional, the mental illnesses are back as well with NPCs walking up to random people and telling them their name and what they do for a living, if someone was doing that out here in the real world you'd call an ambulance. The worst sin of all is that no one in the game seems to care about what's going on, even the lifeless player character seems disconnected and disinterested, they give the player no reason at all to care about any of it.

If I have one problem with New Vegas so far it's that you level up too frequently. Basically if you're in a big firefight with 20 guys you're going to level up afterward. I need to download an experience limiter tonight. I'm not even done 20% of the quests and mods and I think I'm nearing level 40 already.

I think Bethesda's biggest problem is the low standard of their writing, not very interesting stories are told badly, characters are dull and uninteresting while companions are one dimensional tropes. I got FO3 on release, by the time I'd left Vault 101 I'd spent more time facepalming at the nonsense going on in front of me than I'd spent doing anything else. I arrived in Megaton and found that full of NPCs who seemed to be suffering from various forms of mental illness, I can't think of one who sounded normal, it's was a town of freaks and weirdos, all of whom speak to you like you're a subnormal child, I turned it off and didn't return for months.

Skyrim is the same, the NPCs are badly written and one dimensional, the mental illnesses are back as well with NPCs walking up to random people and telling them their name and what they do for a living, if someone was doing that out here in the real world you'd call an ambulance. The worst sin of all is that no one in the game seems to care about what's going on, even the lifeless player character seems disconnected and disinterested, they give the player no reason at all to care about any of it.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that NPC mental illness thing. They do seem to write every character as insane or one dimensional plot device. The companions are the worst they seem to be taking a step back with every game the ones in fallout 3 had no personality but at least game them a tiny bit of back story but In Skyrim they just made some template NPCs that you walked up to and asked them to follow you and they did for some reason. I really wish they would look at obsidian's writing and characters and try to use them to improve theirs.

In Skyrim that civil war story was terrible for showing how disconnected the world was. You could completely overthrow a town and NPCs in the town just carried on as normal and didn't even mention it. As far as I can tell the main result of the war was the guards wore different colours in some towns. The different guilds were stupid as well , I was made head of a magic school despite only using a bow, leader of bards despite never singing and head of the thieves guild even though I'm not sneaky, and even after becoming head of these no one even noticed or commented and there was no more quests.

People keep raving about Fallout 4 but I'm not really looking forward to it. It'll probably be a dull broken mess that will draw modder's away from Fallout New Vegas but you never know I might be presently surprised.

In Skyrim that civil war story was terrible for showing how disconnected the world was. You could completely overthrow a town and NPCs in the town just carried on as normal and didn't even mention it. As far as I can tell the main result of the war was the guards wore different colours in some towns. The different guilds were stupid as well , I was made head of a magic school despite only using a bow, leader of bards despite never singing and head of the thieves guild even though I'm not sneaky, and even after becoming head of these no one even noticed or commented and there was no more quests.

One thing that really renewed my interest in Skyrim is the "Requiem" mod. It made the game extremely hard and changed monsters to different levels based on their type. So, no killing the dragon until you're at least level 25, no killing vampires, no killing powerful wizards until you're tough enough to survive. Even the followers get killed easily so you can't use them to tank like you can in New Vegas.

I'm running the Project Nevada mod but in my next run through this game I think I'll tweak the game to make it harder like Requiem does for Skyrim, while adding some experience limiting so you don't become OP in a week. As it stands right now, Willow basically kills things before I can start shooting and the difficulty setting is on the maximum level.

One thing that really renewed my interest in Skyrim is the "Requiem" mod. It made the game extremely hard and changed monsters to different levels based on their type. So, no killing the dragon until you're at least level 25, no killing vampires, no killing powerful wizards until you're tough enough to survive. Even the followers get killed easily so you can't use them to tank like you can in New Vegas.

I'm running the Project Nevada mod but in my next run through this game I think I'll tweak the game to make it harder like Requiem does for Skyrim, while adding some experience limiting so you don't become OP in a week. As it stands right now, Willow basically kills things before I can start shooting and the difficulty setting is on the maximum level.

Yeah Project Nevada is a must have mod for FNV :P It actually has built in experience limiting which is great. If you want the game to be much harder I'd recommend using realistic weapon damage by Wrankss as well as the Project Nevada tweaks. It makes so bullets (and melee weapons) do a lot more damage so enemies die quicker but so do you. You have to play smart and use stealth, traps and cover to your advantage.

I really feel bad chipping in with the one dimensional character tropes for Bethesda games. Their technology and art are historically at the heart of their world building efforts, but when it comes to writing, that's where it suffers. Beth games are more about creating the opportunity for players to create their own experiences than anything else, and that is why the game survives so well, especially the TES and Fallout games.

Obsidian on the other hand are cored by ex- Black Isle guys, and virtually all of them are veteran Role Playing Game writers.They make very rich characters, stories, and atmosphere. Their technical skills, though, only very recently because a core human resources focus, and because of that campaign to re-brand themselves as bug-quashes after New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, KotOR2, and Dungeon Siege III's serious bug trouble.

New Vegas, as much as I love it though, they slipped up a little. It was such a wide, vast, almost banal place that the world-space diluted the character driven richness. That may just be Nevada though. :tongue: Deserts are notoriously hard to make rich places, since they're inherently barren outside of little pockets of civilization.

Fallout 3 had a story? I thought it had something to do with Liam Neeson trying to get his daughter back from the Enclave and Malcom McDowll...

Edited by Thaiauxn