New Vegas reviews from firends

dontpanic

Review quality poll  

9 members have voted

1. 1. How do you think this review should be rated?

• Review needed more work
    • Review was just fine

Sorry about the typo in the topic word friends, but I had a friend that recently made his own review on Fallout New Vegas, and thought I could get some peoples opinion on if it was done well or really needs work. I think it needed to be more in depth, but I could be wrong. Some people like simple reviews, but I gear towards the more detailed reviews.

Review link

I don't know anyone who likes "simple" reviews. Yes, it needs to be more in-depth. It could also use a serious editor (for example, someone who understands that "it's" = "it is"). The reviewer needs to spend more time talking about the new features (weapon mods, recipes, that sort of thing), and go into more detail about the quality of the quests, the writing, the voice acting, etc.

Coming from someone that has been doing reviews for nearly two years, I'd definitely have to say that this review felt rushed.

First of all like a previous poster mentioned your friend is incorrectly assuming that everyone is acquainted with Fallout 3. People might not know what a Pip-boy is or how the Fallout 3 gameplay feels like.

Second, your friend needed to go into more detail concerning the story and the gameplay. Additionally since he refers to the game as being an 'expansion', he should have mentioned other new features implemented aside from the hardcore mode.

Third, he should've ran a spell checker or something of the sort to pinpoint any spelling errors, but it would've been best if he reread what he wrote himself since spell checkers can't check the context in which "it's" or "its" is used. I've also noticed an "affect" instead of "effect".

While I admit that some of my reviews are short I do try to summarize as best as I can.

Why do I get the feeling that you're the one that has written the review. Why are you so keen on seeking advice on behalf of your 'friend'? ;)

So yeah overall more work needs to be done. Your friend can contact me if he needs more help.

Coming from someone that has been doing reviews for nearly two years, I'd definitely have to say that this review felt rushed.

First of all like a previous poster mentioned your friend is incorrectly assuming that everyone is acquainted with Fallout 3. People might not know what a Pip-boy is or how the Fallout 3 gameplay feels like.

Second, your friend needed to go into more detail concerning the story and the gameplay. Additionally since he refers to the game as being an 'expansion', he should have mentioned other new features implemented aside from the hardcore mode.

Third, he should've ran a spell checker or something of the sort to pinpoint any spelling errors, but it would've been best if he reread what he wrote himself since spell checkers can't check the context in which "it's" or "its" is used. I've also noticed an "affect" instead of "effect".

While I admit that some of my reviews are short I do try to summarize as best as I can.

Why do I get the feeling that you're the one that has written the review. Why are you so keen on seeking advice on behalf of your 'friend'? ;)

So yeah overall more work needs to be done. Your friend can contact me if he needs more help.

I had the feeling someone was going to think it was me writing, but I simply don't write online like that. I don't have the patience to write reviews. The reviewer did read up on this discussion though and appreciates the feedback. Sometimes friends like to help friends out.

I know this is picky but "with tons of more quests and ways to defeat your enemies" shouldn't have the "of" in there, I didn't like the way it started either, I'm guilty of doing exactly the same thing and just starting without any real... introduction I guess. It was just BAM! Review

I thought his Rating was pretty good, I think I'd give it about the same, overall I agree with what everyone has said in this post but one thing I haven't liked about any review of this game so far is they've all given away how the game starts. I wanted to find that out for myself, I felt a bit like Sheldon from Big Bang Theory and his comic book in one episode when the store owner tells him it's mind blowing he cracks it as his mind is "Pre-blown" - that's kind of how I felt, like the mystery had been sucked out of the intro. (There was no spine-chilling moment)

Mentioning a few of the locales that you'll be travelling through, maybe a few non-spoiler related quests (doesn't have to go into too much detail, just generalising to give an impression of the level of story telling) and even things like how many different endings there is can be cool :) - he could also mention that one of the characters in the game is voiced by Wil Wheaton (guess who)

The written word is incredibly interesting and difficult (for want of a better word).

Did you feel that? You knew what I was saying, but in the back of your mind you are thinking ‘that was more than one word’.

Whoa…did you feel that one, too? Now what, am I trying to be clever? AM I clever? Do I actually have something worthwhile to read? Maybe I am just trying to foray into some convoluted collection of circumlocutions to make myself appear intelligent or you stupid. Or, what???

This is the power of the written word. By my presentation of a few words and ideas, you have filled in some blanks and begun forming a picture of me. This is why some people prefer books to movies. That is, in a movie, the actors and events are specifically depicted, whereas in a book one can apply any form of character description or backdrop or … but, I digress. Yes, powerful; and yes, problematic.

I regularly read papers written in English by persons of non-American (Chinese, Japanese, Indian, etc) origin and so I typically ignore most simple mistakes since I am most envious of their ability to communicate in a foreign language. Nevertheless, I NOTICE all of these mistakes, as do any who read the material and are so capable. If I am reading something written by someone who should clearly be competent in English writing, (e.g., an American), I will generally ignore a few mistakes because everyone makes mistakes that might be unnoticed by the author for various reasonable reasons.

However, when I am bombarded with constant errors that clearly have nothing to do with presentation or style, I tend to relate the author’s grammatical competence with his ability to formulate rational thought. As a result, interest is lost along and any concern with the work done by the author along with any good (great, brilliant, prophetic) ideas that might be present will likely be ignored and lost. Different is sometimes good, half-ass is generally just half-ass.

Please note that I am not talking about indiscretions between friends where I might think ‘Well this is my good bud, RockHardWarHammerBabeMagnet, and I know that he doesn’t know the difference between there, they’re and their, but he’s a good guy and I know what he means’.

The rest of the world does not know you. Anytime you present yourself, you are by definition subjected to the world’s scrutiny; a world that knows nothing of you. I have found it generally good practice to assume that my audience knows nothing of me or my presented material. This way, my entire view of the subject (and the audience’s view on my view) can be evaluated through the words given, by me.

Speaking of opinions, they’re just like a$$holes, everyone has one. It is a fool’s errand to express your opinions and worry about other’s. You will definitely never please everyone. People’s attitudes change not only with time, but are affected by whether they had scrambled eggs or Cocopuffs for breakfast. However, this is actually the function of a review, to express Your opinions. And this is exactly what you have received from the posts here … opinions.

Simply take what you hear and use what you will; just remember that people who don’t know you can only know you by what you have shown them. Keep these things in mind, write a well-presented review (giving validation for extreme bias usually helps) and it just doesn’t really matter what others may think, it is your perspective of the game. By the way, I think the review needs a little polishing.