Blockhead Mod/Character Overhaul Version 2

melanellie

I'm really, really bad at computer things so I need someone to walk me through how to install this mod.

I want to install Oblivion Character Overhaul Version 2, and in order to do that it says I first need to install OBSE and something called Blockhead. I'm pretty sure the problem is in Blockhead. In the Blockhead folder there is a readme and a folder called OBSE, and in there another folder called Plugins, and in that, something called Blockhead.dll. It says it's an application extension. I've tried using both NMM and OBMM to get the mod but it doesn't show up. Help?

Hey, Melanellie!

Usually, when a mod includes a ReadMe file, you are supposed to, well, read it. It (again, usually) contains the installation instructions.

Before we proceed with the step-by-step guide on how to install both OBSE and Blockhead, a word of advice:

Do not use Nexus Mod Manager for Oblivion. Oblivion is an old game and NMM is designed and intended to be used with newer games. For Oblivion, use Oblivion Mod Manager or/and Wrye Bash (you can use both of them). And before downloading a mod, read the Description Page. Before installing it, read the ReadMe. If the information provided in the Description and the ReadMe is not enough for you, do not try to improvise and install the mod without knowing what you're doing. Instead, do exactly what you have done now: come here and ask for advice.

So, to the step-by-step.

Since it's the nowadays standard, I'll assume you're playing the Steam version of the game.

So, let's start with OBSE: unpack the downloaded package to a temporary location and inspect the contents (like you did with Blockhead). You will see that it contains quite a lot of things. What you need is:

The Data folder.

The obse_1_2_416.dll, obse_editor_1_2.dll, obse_steam_loader.dll and obse_loader.exe files.

Select these five items, right-click -- COPY.

Now, navigate to your main Oblivion installation folder (usually C:\ProgramFiles/steam/steamapps/common/oblivion), make sure you can see the oblivion.exe file it contains and the Data folder it also contains (yes, there must be a Data folder), right-click in an empty spot in the Oblivion folder (do not click the Data folder!), and PASTE. A warning message telling you that this location already contains a folder with the name "Data" will pop-up. Click "yes to all" and wait until the pasting finishes. This is called a "Manual installation". Then, go to your Steam control panel and locate where is the Steam Overlay In Game option, and enable it.

Now, Blockhead. Remember the "OBSE" folder you saw it contains? Right-click--COPY.

Now, go back to your Oblivion Installation folder and this time, open its Data folder. You will see it contains an "OBSE" folder. Very well, rignt-click an empty spot INSIDE THE DATA FOLDER, and PASTE. This time, the warning poput will tell you that this location already contains a folder with the name "OBSE". Click "yes to all".

OBSE and Blockhead are now installed.

Before we continue with the OCO v2 installation, we need to be sure your OBSE works. Tell me if you have understood my instructions, and if you have any doubt, do not hesitate to ask.

Then we will proceed further.

Cheers!

ADDENDUM:

No, the blockhead.ini IS NOT CONTAINED in the download. It is automatically created the first time you start your game with Blockhead installed.

If you start your game and it does not create a blockhead.ini file, then something went wrong when you installed it or OBSE, but let's go step by step.

Cheers!

Thank you so much for your help!

For the record, I did read the readme--the whole thing in fact--it's just that I'm too stupid to figure it out even after I read instructions.

Also, I'm actually not using Steam, I have a hard copy disc. Does that dramatically change the steps I have to take?

Hey, Melaneill!

First of all, not knowing how something works does not automatically make you stupid. In fact, you did a very clever thing: you opened this thread asking for instructions. And right now, you are several steps ahead from where you were before asking for instructions.

You don't have the Steam version? GOOD! It makes things easier, in fact. The only change from my previous instructions is that you don't need the obse_steam_loader.dll file, and forget about the Steam Overlay.

Now, I need some informatio about your system and installation.

Which version of Windows do you got? I assume it's 8.1.

Where did you install Oblivion? If it's installed inside C:\ProgramFiles, that's no bueno. Means lots of UAC issues.

Which version of the game you bought? GOTY, for instance? Do you have the Shivering Isles or just the base game?

You know, depending on these details, things can change a lot.

You see, before we start modding your game, we should make sure you got it properly installed. So, tell me as much as you can about WHAT and HOW have you currently installed. This way we can avoid future issues and disasters.

Cheers!

Okay, I believe I have Windows 7. Oblivion is installed in a folder called Program Files (x86). It is the GOTY edition, and I have Shivering Isles as well as Knights of the Nine installed, and they work fine. I also installed a mod a while ago called Decorator Assistant, and that took a lot of time to figure out too, but I eventually got it working. If that helps at all. (:

Very well, WIndows 7 does not cause so many UAC issues as 8.1, and if Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine work fine, then your game is up-to-date and you can proceed to install OBSE and Blockhead as I explained before (minus the obse_steam_loader.dll and the Steam Overlay part, of course).

Once you have installed both, start your game, load your current savegame, move around a little, kill something, destroy any city, whatever, and then save and exit the game. Look if the blockhead.ini is now present, and also go to your Saves folder and see if instead of just the .ess savegame, now you have also a copy with the .obse extension.

And then, we will start talking about Body Replacers (OCO v2 will come last).

Cheers!

PD: did you install the Unofficial Oblivion Patches?

Started the game and it works fine. In the same folder as blockhead.dll, there's another file called blockhead which I assume is the .ini. The description says "configuration settings". Now, where might I find a "saves" folder? It's not in the Data folder or the Oblivion folder, not that I can see, anyway. I did not install unofficial oblivion patch, should I?