A question regarding Fallout Timeline

yic17

Okay, so I checked the timeline of Fallout universe and realized that it started to diverge itself from our actual timeline after 1945 (WW2).

And the Great War (nuclear bombs) did not happen until 2077.

So I wonder why they only have music (on the radio) and clothing up to 1945? Why do they call 1945 "pre-war"?

Shouldn't year 2077 be "pre-war" in this universe?

Which means shouldn't there be music and other pop culture stuff from the time between 1945-2077?

I see all the mods created by people and many say it's lore-friendly only if they're stuff from before 1945.

But pre-war is actually before 2077 in Fallout Universe.

Am I missing something? Did something happen in between 1945-2077 that people can no longer create stuff?

Okay, so I checked the timeline of Fallout universe and realized that it started to diverge itself from our actual timeline after 1945 (WW2).

And the Great War (nuclear bombs) did not happen until 2077.

So I wonder why they only have music (on the radio) and clothing up to 1945? Why do they call 1945 "pre-war"?

Shouldn't year 2077 be "pre-war" in this universe?

Which means shouldn't there be music and other pop culture stuff from the time between 1945-2077?

I see all the mods created by people and many say it's lore-friendly only if they're stuff from before 1945.

But pre-war is actually before 2077 in Fallout Universe.

Am I missing something? Did something happen in between 1945-2077 that people can no longer create stuff?

The bombs fell way earlier than 2077. Where did you find those dates?

The bombs fell around 1960.

The bombs did drop in 2077 :thumbsup:

right. if that's the case, then shouldn't there be music and other stuff being created (by people) in between the times of 1945-2077?

yet we only get music from pre-WW2 (1945) instead of pre-Great War (2077).

kinda odd eh? any reason for this?

Because in the Fallout universe, American society never really moved out of how it was in the 1950s.

Basically, Fallout's America in 2077 was how people in the 50s would have thought the future would be like. So, while there's sentient robots, laser guns and nuclear-powered cars, there's no such thing as the internet, no Vietnam War or Watergate, etc.

It's just easier to use 1940s songs in the game than to make up a new song in that style from a 1965 where there's no widespread hippie/antiwar movement, or a 1994 where rap was never invented.

Because in the Fallout universe, American society never really moved out of how it was in the 1950s.

Basically, Fallout's America in 2077 was how people in the 50s would have thought the future would be like. So, while there's sentient robots, laser guns and nuclear-powered cars, there's no such thing as the internet, no Vietnam War or Watergate, etc.

It's just easier to use 1940s songs in the game than to make up a new song in that style from a 1965 where there's no widespread hippie/antiwar movement, or a 1994 where rap was never invented.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense that this is the future they imagined would be without internet and other stuff.

But I still think it would be nice if Bethesda made some original stuff tho.

Even tho there's no hippie movement, Vietnam war, and so on .. a 100+ year gap (1945-2077) must have caused some kind of major movement .. in popular culture I mean. They could've made up a movement.

Anyways, guess this is what it is then :confused:

if you guys listen to what NPCs and what is on the Radios in game, you'd realize that from the current date in Fallout 3, the wasteland has been in that state for over 100 years, and according to something said in the game, which seems to contradict real world war and bombing dates, the Nuclear fallout happened 200 years again (from 2077).

(: