No Video.

zebrin

I bought and Downloaded Fallout NV yesterday, DL came out without a hitch, but when I tried running the game it went to a black screen, then froze.

I let it sit for about 10 minutes, to see if it was just being slow, and it wasn't. Stayed black. No sound or anything. Alt+Tab did nothing, mouse was still visible.

Had to CAD to get out of it. Task manager said it was not responding.

I did the regular Id10t checklist, restarting the computer, changing settings to the lowest possible, setting windowed mode... you know, the regular troubleshooting bulls***.

After I restarted the computer, Fallout NV downloaded a new patch. once that was finished, I tried again.

Same deal, but this time no video but sound was there. It also apparently got to the main menu, because I was able to hear the clicking sound it gives off when you mouse over one of the options. I still couldn't see anything.

Tried window mode. Didn't work. Settings low? No dice. I even went and downloaded a new driver for my video card. Nothing.

I tried a couple of the video fixes, the d3d fix, and mouse lag fix namely. They did nothing.

I went to the Can You Run It, thing and it says that I am well above the requirements.

Can anyone help?

My system is

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Processor - Pentium® Dual Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz

Memory - 6Gigs RAM

Direct X Version 11

Video - ATI Radeon HD4600 series (Newest drivers installed)

Chip Type - ATI Display Adapter (0x9490)

Seems like a possible driver failure to me. Your computer has more than enough specs to run it.

Do a fresh driver uninstall/wipe everything and try the 10.4 ATI drivers. That's what I had to use to cure some of my video problems. When I was using the latest I had stuttering and other driver failures.

Nope, not driver. tried that already. but just to be sure...

(Two restarts, and a driver wipe + re-install later)

Welp, that didn't work.

... wait. 10.4? I could only find 10.10. is there an instability in the newest version or something?

Scratch that, found it, but it also didn't work.

Yeah, again, same problem still happening. I don't get it. what am I doing wrong?

And I did find 10.4... but it isn't fixing the problem... This is really irritating, normally when I buy a game I get to ... you know... play it...

Ok. I just reinstalled NV, and noticed something weird. Despite my video card being an ATI Radeon HD4600, when I looked in the Options section it only has the Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT in the drop-down bar to select my video card. Is this important? I thought I read somewhere else that they were getting the same exact problems, but they were at least getting video.

Never mind, I fixed it. I finally fixed it!

Ok it appears that the d3d9.dll fix was the problem. I took that file out on a hunch really, and tried to start it up. It worked first time. (And said ultra high quality when I started up the launcher, go figure.)

So I guess if anyone is having the same problems as I was, make sure that you don't have the d3d9.dll file in there. Well, thanks for at least trying to help pretzdothack.