Inferior Itemization - I don't undesrtand this...

lyravega

I've been going over Dead Island stuff. I realized how Dead Island handles itemization.

Now, let me explain how Dying Light does it. The itemdata is just that; itemdata, and everything is predefined. No exceptions. Only thing you can randomize a little is altering the DamageRange a little (I believe, haven't experimented with this). But this leads to a situation where you are locked to 4-5 types of weapons at maximum level, for example, and every weapon will have more or less the same value/damage/force/durability/etc... You are limited to predefined stuff, and there really is no random generation or anything like that.

Dead Island however, basically there are generator parameters for every level, and generator types for every weapon type. The itemsdata is used as a template, and these generators adjust stuff that matters. This way, Dead Island will always keep the loot fresh, and doesn't suffer from problems that Dying Light suffers. Itemization is endless due to available permutations; you can always get something slightly better, and this is how pretty much every loot-hunt game operates.

This really boggles my mind. Why step down from what Dead Island had, and get something like Dying Light has? It just doesn't make any sense at all. I was wondering what some stuff are in Dying Light, like GenMinLevel(); - GenMaxLevel(); - GenType(); - these all are related to Generators (Gen, short for Generator) which were properly utilized in Dead Island.

I mean this is a HUGE step backwards. I cannot stress the difference in itemization between two games, and what it results in eventually. If I ever have loads of free time to investigate what does what in Dead Island, I guess I'll be keeping busy with trying to adapt what Dead Island had, and Dying Light doesn't anymore; I'll try to set up some generators, and try to get them working so mods like WRP won't be necessary, and players will be ensured to find proper loot at all levels, and a chance to find better gear, at all levels. And loot will be properly balanced for every level, and tweaking the damage values will be so much easier as you'll only have to tweak the generator numbers.

Anyway, have fun everyone.