An ACTIVE campfire?

nynik

And yet so many years later the answer was still not provided!

I found out myself. I originally had looked at a campfire with a flame I wanted and found it was made of two portions...

CampfireCrafting03

FireBrightOrange

I had assumed the second one was the flame, but it turns out this was a light source (which can be edited to produce flickering shadows).

But I discovered another campfire that had an extra portion - THIS was the flame...

FXFireSmall01

Of course there are other options with similar names, but these three together make a very nice usable campfire. Even if you wanted a permanent placeable one it would be very easy to do.

If you want to do it with the console...

player.placeatme 13e3fd

player.placeatme 76d9e

player.placeatme 70587

Only the campfire can be selected with the console though and deleted; the flame and light remain.

Hmmmm.. but if you COULD find out the reference values of the fire and light, you could use ".moveto player" to move the entire campfire to a new location. Of course this should be easily done with a script - no need to worry about the complexities of deleting it, just keep moving the same one!

Also concerning the fires around everywhere that aren't lit, I would create a character obsessed with fire, who followed you around to light all the fires for you. Simply stand on the fire and have the character have a "light fire" dialogue option. (Jump in the air a little before talking if you want the flame higher.) The dialogue option runs the script...

player.placeatme FXFireSmall01

player.placeatme FireBrightOrange

Job done, move on to the next fire.

Edited by ALoonwolf

Having a dedicated NPC for lighting fires (a Fire Squire!) seems very cumbersome to me. It probably wouldn't be super hard to edit the campfire Activator scripts to give you an additional "Light Fire" option upon activation.

EDIT: Well, I've never actually placed a light via script before, so I can't confirm that it works. Plus, you'd probably want the placement to be slightly higher than the campfire itself. And you'd have to edit every campfire Activator, which might get tedious. Definitely not impossible, but the longer I think about the logistics of this, the more I realize it might not be a job for beginners. Not that I think making a custom NPC is especially beginner-friendly either, but more people seem to know how to do that.

Edited by punchbattle

I don't recommend to use PlaceAtMe as it gets saved into the savegame:

Using the PlaceAtMe function in scripts without cleaning them up later is considered bad modding etiquette. This is because too many calls to PlaceAtMe leaves objects in the game and will lead to bloated save-games after a while, which impacts game performance and loading times.

You can avoid this issue by deleting the placed reference, but the clean way would be to add a fire to every campfire that has none.

Even though that would be a lot of work for sure.

I don't recommend to use PlaceAtMe as it gets saved into the savegame:

Doesn't MarkForDelete take care of that, though? Or is that what you meant by deleting the placed reference?

Edited by punchbattle

That's what I meant with deleting the placed reference. :)

MarkForDelete can be used without a ref var, when used in an object script (then counting for the object which called the script).

However, if the mod in question shouldn't change the base game assets, it might be pretty tricky to keep track of the campfires with and without fire.

Not impossible, but tricky.

• 1 month later...