ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Failed to initialize renderer (windowed mode not supported by this adapter)

Felson7

I've been having a strange issue with my fallout 3. When I try to start the game in windowed mode, I get this error: "Failed to initialize renderer, windowed mode not supported by this adapter." The problem started when I tried to roll back my NVidia drivers. When I tried to roll them back, the device manager crashed and the problem started occurring. So I reinstalled the original up-to-date drivers, and the problem still happens.

I've tried playing the game in fullscreen mode, and it does run. But fullscreen mode doesn't work very well for fallout 3 and I need to be able to run it in windowed to get it to run smoothly with all the mods I have. Before the rollback, the game was running at a good framerate with no stutters in windowed mode with gamecompanion but it was just CTD'ing like crazy (every 5 mins or so at random points).

I tried verifying integrity of game cache to see if it was something wrong with .ini files. I've tried uninstalling and fresh installing graphics drivers. I've tried reinstalling directx. I've tried running it with and without mods enabled. Still the same problem.

(P.S. Windowed mode DID work with New Vegas today when I tested it. Just fallout 3 is having this issue ATM. In the past I have run Fallout New Vegas on this PC with more than 150 mods with very little CTD for a nearly 200 hour playthrough.)

If anyone has any ideas, It would be greatly appreciated. :)

i5 cpu 750 @ 2.67 ghz

16 gb ram

GTX 660

Windows 7 64 bit

Edited by Felson7

ok, so this is a pixel problem ?

Graphics not behaving for a steam game...means there is a problem "still" with the systems setup some place, a file was overwritten or is of the wrong vintage..or Has not been updated /missed.

as i understand it, the game did at one time work as intended?

and now, due to the things you stated here does no longer work...?

is that correct ?

Yes, that is correct. The problem started up after I tried to roll back the drivers. I am going to reinstall the game from scratch in another location and see if that fixes it.

(Update) Looks like that's working so far, installed it to a different drive and deleted the ini files in my documents and now it will start up. :) Thanks a lot for the help. Now to just figure out what's causing the random crashes.

Edited by Felson7

OK, so I had it working with no crashes for about 4 hours straight and thought I had it working good, then it started to crash. Now it's back to crashing pretty frequently so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I've done the limit it to 2 cores thing. I'm using FOSE. I've enabled it to use 4gb. I have created a merge patch and run the MasterUpdate with Fo3Edit. I've tried running it in windows xp sp3 compatibility mode. I'm running it as administrator. I'm using gamecompanion for fake fullscreen. I've got archive invalidation invalidated. I've got all autosaves turned off and I'm using CASM. Every hour I do a hard manual save, exit the game and reload the save. I'm using a few mods that are supposed to help with CTD's.

My load order:

Fallout3.esm

Anchorage.esm

BrokenSteel.esm

PointLookout.esm

ThePitt.esm

Zeta.esm

CALIBR.esm

CRAFT.esm

FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esm

Mart's Mutand Mod.esm

Project Beauty.esm

StreetLights.esm

Hairpack.esm

aHUD.esm

iHUD.esm

RezDCSubway

Metros Alive.esm

TheInstitute.esm

Vault 101 Revisited.esm

AWorldOfPainFO3.esm

DCInteriors_ComboEdition.esm

Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm

ImaginatorFO3.esp

FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esp

FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Anchorage.esp

FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC The Pitt.esp

FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Broken Steel.esp

FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Point Lookout.esp

FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Mothership Zeta.esp

FO3 Wanderers Edition - Followers Enhanced (BrokenSteel).esp

FO3 Wanderers Edition - Optional Restore Tracers (automatics only).esp

Fellout-Full.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - Zones Respawn.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - Natural Selection.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - Tougher Traders.esp

Project Beauty- Broken Steel.esp

1PipboyPDA.esp

DynamicCrosshair.esp

Distributed Necklaces and Chains.esp

Realistic Interior Lighting.esp

H&K PSG-1 Sniper Rifles.esp

ColtM4Carbines.esp

Dree Perks.esp

FO3 Wanderers Edition - More Gore.esp

hair_add_npc.esp

Scout Outfits.esp

DarNifiedUIF3.esp

RezDCSubwayLoadLast.esp

WeaponModKits.esp

UPP - Beverage Perks.esp

UPP - Experience Perks.esp

UPP - Original Peks. esp

UPP - Pack 1.esp

UPP - Pack 2.esp

UPP - Quest Perks.esp

IMPACT.esp

WeaponModKits - BrokenSteel.esp

WeaponModKits - FWE Master Release.esp

WeaponModKits - OperationAnchorage.esp

WeaponModKits - PointLookout.esp

WeaponModKits - ThePitt.esp

WeaponModKits - Zeta.esp

No Blur Effect.esp

IMPACT FWE+WMK+All DLCs.esp

CASM.esp

JessiCompanion.esp

Action_Boy_hacking.esp

Megaton House and Theme Overhaul.esp

megalight.esp

Mart's Mutant Mod - DC Interiors.esp

DIM TYPE3clothesRETAIL.esp

Blackened FWE + MMM + Project Beauty.esp

FO3 Error Fixes.esp

ColtAnaconda.esp

Merge 1.4.esp

(I'm using the Paradox Ignition merged esps for all of the mods that can use them.)

(I'm using the Paradox Ignition merged esps for all of the mods that can use them.)

Then you don't need any of the MMM plugins. That is what Paradox Ignition is for.

RezDCSubwayLoadLast.esp - and this says?

StreetLights loads between ThePitt and BrokenSteel.

Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch or FO3 Error Fixes, not both.

DarnifiedUIF3 should be loaded higher. See the FWE mod page for a load order template.

what are you using to sort your mods as the load order is "out of order" + you have redundant mods installed, duplicated data too.

tell ya what, list only the mods you like that use FOSE, and load only those, uninstall all others. start a fresh game using strictly fose mods only.

Do not install NON-fose mods....see just how long the game runs then...

The elimination is illuminating.

post the list here.

Thanks so much for the replies, and sorry for being a noob. I'll try to do everything you guys suggest.

I'm using BOSS 2.3.0 but apparently it's not working for me cause it says 0 errors. Is there a better program or updated version of boss I should get?

The paradox merger file said that it replaced

• Mart's Mutant Mod.esm
  • Mart's Mutant Mod.esp
  • Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp
  • Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp
  • Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp
  • Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp
  • Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp
  • Mart's Mutant Mod - Master Menu Module.esp

which is why I put in those optional esp's for tougher traders, etc. I guess I don't need to because they are merged with the main esp? I can delete those.