Immortal music

Balagor

Well, I don't know. Maybe in 200 years, Metallica (just an example, I'm not a fanboy, though I do like them) will be to people as Dvorak is to us now.

Personally, I think the groups/artists that were/are pioneers in some way will never be forgotten--people remember originality.

Good topic Balagor ...

Well I reckon it will mainly be the people who have become the so-called "rock legends" that have died unnatural deaths or those who have "died before their time".

Buddy holly, Janis Joplin, Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Elvis, Michael Jackson and John lennon etc., will definitely be amongst those remembered.

Those who will enter this "rememberance" hall of fame who have not died "unnaturally", will defintely be the Beatles, the Roling Stones, Abba and ACDC.

And of course the band that you played in Balagor ... uh what was that name again ? XD.

Der Denemarken klocken Spielen Gereformeerede blues band or something like that .... hehehehe.

There are many composers from 200-400 years ago that the average person knows off the top of his head, and many more the person educated in music know of. Of course, there were many more composers than Bach and Mozart, but there is one key thing that separates what has been immortalized now and what will be immortalized in the future. Those composers did not have the information network capabilities that we have today. In fact because of youtube, I find myself going and looking up even the most unknown bands from the 50's-90's. In summary because they are easy for the common man to access, you'll see quite more than a few bands and singers becoming gods of the era. I guess as the population increases and the amount of people who can access music increase, you will see an increase in the amount of immortalized musicians

Though if I had to put my money on it, Jacko will probably still have movies made for him in a hundred years. He's going to be in the minds of every generation till the end of time, or till the money runs out.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the reason we remember composers from 200 years ago is because they are what most music today is based on. I think its safe to say that if you look at every band, composer, group whatever, you can find influences from music of the 16th and 17th centuries.

Today its hard to come accross and groups who have an original sound. It may sound new but chances are somewhere at some point in time there is another musical peice that is very similar to it. However i do agree that the Beatles, Hendrix,U2 and others will be remembered for their influence on society.