Whodunit bug

I've come across a bug and not sure what to do. No matter where or how I kill someone it always says I've been detected. I killed the dunmer woman first up in the bedroom and we were the ONLY ones on that floor, everyone was still downstairs and she did not see me because my sneak indicator never lit up. I didn't even use magic. I used a non enchanted elven dagger, did nothing noisy, and it still said I was detected despite the sneak attack bonus popping up. So i reloaded the game and tried again this time with a bow and arrow on the lady in the basement, same issue. I even set poison apples down when no one was around and same message popped up. I'm getting a little frustrated at this point.

No mention of anything like that on the UESP Wiki page for the quest, which leads me to suspect mod conflict. Can you post your load order and OBSE plugins?

No mention of anything like that on the UESP Wiki page for the quest, which leads me to suspect mod conflict. Can you post your load order and OBSE plugins?

I eventually got the poison apples to work and those killed everyone except Nels and Neville and i just got them to fight each other and used frenzy on the winner and killed him and that got me the bonus but it was still odd that no matter what sort of weapon i used it said i was detected.

So you used some ingenuity ... that's what that quest is all about (probably why it's one of the most popular quests in the game ... many cats, many ways to skin cats).