Navmesh Error?

braibays

I am making a mod testing it out etc(navmesh applied to cover the hallways) But melee based enemies won't attack unless i stand next to them and don't chase me. Same with ranged except they walk around while shooting but don't chase

braibays - Hello!

Make sure you've finalized your new navmesh.

You do that after completing your navmesh & selecting the tick mark symbol from the Navmesh Window.
If you don't finalize the navmesh it won't work properly.

If you've used stock NPC's from the vanilla game check that the the ones you've placed are not special instance NPC with scripts or special AI Packages for them to act in a special way in the vanilla game.

Check their AI Packages for special packages.

If your plugin that adds a navmesh is an .esp then there is a bug that affects navmeshes. Navmeshes in .esp's can work fine until you leave the room & come back or reload into the room again from a save. The NPCs will act as if the navmesh is no longer there. This tends to affect navmeshes in larger (by memory not "physical" size) cells.

That's why it's normal to convert .esp's with navmeshes to .esm's, to avoid that bug.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

braibays - Hello!

Make sure you've finalized your new navmesh.

You do that after completing your navmesh & selecting the tick mark symbol from the Navmesh Window.

If you don't finalize the navmesh it won't work properly.

If you've used stock NPC's from the vanilla game check that the the ones you've placed are not special instance NPC with scripts or special AI Packages for them to act in a special way in the vanilla game.

Check their AI Packages for special packages.

If your plugin that adds a navmesh is an .esp then there is a bug that affects navmeshes. Navmeshes in .esp's can work fine until you leave the room & come back or reload into the room again from a save. The NPCs will act as if the navmesh is no longer there. This tends to affect navmeshes in larger (by memory not "physical" size) cells.

That's why it's normal to convert .esp's with navmeshes to .esm's, to avoid that bug.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

So I have to make an ESM for each Dungeon I make? That's hard work

braibays - Hello!

"So I have to make an ESM for each Dungeon I make? That's hard work"

Not unless you mean each Dungeon is a separate .esp.

If all locations are in one .esp then all you do is convert it into an .esm when you're done working on/editing the .esp.

You wait until the end as .esm's can't be edited by GECK.

You can convert the .esp to a temporary .esm version if you want to test that at an earlier stage before mod completion.

As for converting to an .esm, that's relatively easy. I use FO3 Plugin Utility:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/5104/?

With that you load the .esp & then File - Save As & give it a name & end with .esm easy as that.

Other tools will also convert an .esp to a master but FO3 Plugin Utility creates the necessary ONAM records of a true master file (& not an .esp that's just flagged as a Master).

An .esp is fine for adding items like guns & armor etc. but it has the limitation of the navmesh bug & also custom NPC's suffering the mismatched head/body colour.

That's why when adding navmeshes or custom NPC's modders use .esm's these days.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Edited by prensa

braibays - Hello!

"So I have to make an ESM for each Dungeon I make? That's hard work"

Not unless you mean each Dungeon is a separate .esp.

If all locations are in one .esp then all you do is convert it into an .esm when you're done working on/editing the .esp.

You wait until the end as .esm's can't be edited by GECK.

You can convert the .esp to a temporary .esm version if you want to test that at an earlier stage before mod completion.

As for converting to an .esm, that's relatively easy. I use FO3 Plugin Utility:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/5104/?

With that you load the .esp & then File - Save As & give it a name & end with .esm easy as that.

Other tools will also convert an .esp to a master but FO3 Plugin Utility creates the necessary ONAM records of a true master file (& not an .esp that's just flagged as a Master).

An .esp is fine for adding items like guns & armor etc. but it has the limitation of the navmesh bug & also custom NPC's suffering the mismatched head/body colour.

That's why when adding navmeshes or custom NPC's modders use .esm's these days.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

They still stand still. the navmesh covers the entire place (halls and rooms) finalizing made them slightly more aggressive but i dont fancy convertying all to one esm just yet