Whats happened?

GSajer

I don't know quite what has changed, but this entire mod has become lethal even under normal setting, and right from the get go. I'm no stranger to xcom and I've won using classic and iron man. But right now this mod is exhibiting difficulties beyond my ability to compete at at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I was referring to the Long War mod applied over EW. It's a fascinating mod, but many missions make classic/ironman look manageable. I'm not complaining; but clearly I'm not making the progression needed to cope with the ever more numerous and sophisticated enemies. I'm using some of the advanced features, but normal mode. I've managed to get an A rating from the council, but I'm visibly slipping behind on tech, and suffering brutally. I KNOW the research tree, but for some reason nothing I know to be successful works anymore. Perhaps I should be focused on a beginner's guide?

Long War is really a different game than EU or EW. Most people regard it as much more difficult on normal than classic I/I mode. It intentionally requires different approaches than in either of those games. For one, the design expects you to bail on some missions (especially in the early game), and refuse to take others. The research tree is different as well. Have you seen the "Long War" wiki? Or the "Long War Strategy" thread?

Long War is supported, and heavily discussed, in the "XCOM File Discussions" sub forum.

-Dubious-

I certainly is difficult on normal. I have started to bail and refuse missions. In EW classic doing that sort of thing would put you into a death spiral. Clearly I need some education. So I'll pursue this in File Discussions