Ways to make the game fun again

Deleted1217574User

After doing all of the main quests and side quests I could find including the expansions, I downloaded Sauron's armor and mace, rolled a new character, and became the terror of Cyrodiil, mercilessly destroying man, woman, and beast alike with a few exceptions. Each visit to town means slaying guards until there are none left to oppose you. I visit every room in each city castle and crush all I meet, then sit in the castle throne for a spell. When I've become weary, I move on to create havoc in a new city. Fun times and quite a challenge finding resources and shelter when everyone hates you. It's been quite the cathartic release. :-) Edited by majikmonkee

Here's a great idea. Use the construction set to give yourself the face and hair of Puny Ancus, dress like him, then pretend when you start in jail that you were jailed for stealing food. When you get out, disable the real Ancus and live his life! You can sleep on his dirty bedroll every night and wander Cyrodiil looking for food to steal. Bonus points if you do the Puny Ancus voice irl to passing NPCs, saying "Me children are starving" as they pass and ignore you. Great fun, even better than watching paint dry!

Ha! Nondrick's story is excellent! I've been reading for hours now, and I haven't laughed this hard in ages. I've decided that as soon as I get home (at a friend's house now) I'm going to start my own Oblivion story, with pictures and everything. Just gotta figure out what the character will be... But anyway, thank you. You've accomplished what I hoped for. I'm excited about Oblivion again =)

Ha! Nondrick's story is excellent! I've been reading for hours now, and I haven't laughed this hard in ages. I've decided that as soon as I get home (at a friend's house now) I'm going to start my own Oblivion story, with pictures and everything. Just gotta figure out what the character will be... But anyway, thank you. You've accomplished what I hoped for. I'm excited about Oblivion again =)

Yeah it is hilarious (check Livingston's Half-Life2 comic 'Concerned' if by some chance you haven't already seen it, though it helps a lot if you've played Half-Life2).

Sadly, Nondrick's story kind of fizzles out eventually, and I'm guessing that Livingston just ran out of ideas for what to do with a character who sets out from the offset to be a total non-achiever.. :laugh:

Have you gived mods a try, if you're playing on the PC? You did not mention anything about mods, so excuse me if I missed something.

I'd never heard of Nondrick's story prior to this, very funny. It's hard to maintain an amusing ongoing story like that though, sooner or later you're really scraping for ideas (I have a blog that was just an ongoing story spanning The Sims through The Sims 2 and I ran into a similar problem after a few years).

I second the suggestion to give mods a try. I was a vanilla Oblivion purist, and was afraid they would mess with the continuity of the main game and expansions, but they don't if you only download certain types (no lightsabers or modern day clothing, unless that's what makes it fun for you). You'll see me constantly suggesting Lost Spires and Heart of the Dead, because they both utilize existing locations as well as new ones and mesh pretty well the original game. The desert of Elsweyr really expanded the scope of the game for me too.

Have I heard of mods? Heh, that's like asking Willy Wonka if he's heard of chocolate. 50% of my Oblivion time is spent downloading mods, 40% making them work, and only 10% playing. I've got my game so modded, I've got new content coming out the wahzoo. <--- I've probably even got a mod for that somewhere. It's just that I've downloaded most of the gameplay changing mods that sound interesting to me, at least from the Nexus. I've literally gone through all all 80+ pages of results from multiple tag searches. Anymore, I've played with all the overhauls, and I get bored of them eventually, or I've beaten all the quest mods, it seems.

So you're kind of the Yoda of Oblivion content now? Run across Cyrodiil and check your fastest time. Or spell your name out with posed dead bodies. Replay the game with no armor and just hands to hand combat. Be the opposite sex. Out of ideas. lol