Cyrodiil's dirty little secret...

majikmonkee

I eventually went with the BAB body mod, seemed the most conservative from what I could tell (granted now all the females are wearing thongs, but it beats dirty underwear). Now I just need to figure out why the clothing looks a little odd...the download seemed to indicate that updated clothing meshes were included...

Never mind, I got it. Seems I just hadn't properly unpacked all the necessary meshes. In addition to better underwear, the females look much less masculine. It might be my imagination, but my dude seems to have huge biceps now.

Edited by majikmonkee

Two things:

1. What male body mod are you using? Robert's Male is very, very good. (I'm a 3D Modeler too, and he did a top quality job through and through.) It comes in several sizes so you can have a scrawnier guy if you want. I can't stand my few male characters looking all beefcake.

2. Your fears of not being able to uninstall it are moot. The file replacers do not actually replace everything. The game is designed to first look in the Data folder for resources. If it doesn't find them there, it looks in one of the many .bsa files. These files have the exact same folder structure as the Data folder. If you put new body meshes in your Data folder, they are looked at by the game and those crappy dirty underwear ones (pun not intended, haha) are just plain ignored. If you delete the new files, the game will go right back to looking at the .bsa file again. Nothing is actually replaced. Delete with confidence, as long as you save the zip file it all came in.

Okay. The readme for BAB warned me to backup my files, stating it overwrote all the original files for the things it changed (although I think most mods kind of do that anyway). I don't have a male body replacer I'm aware of, thus my confusion with the seemingly larger biceps. I was afraid of accidentally giving all the men in Cyrodiil butt-floss. The idea of Imperial legion guards wearing thongs under their armor is like something from a bad movie.

Think what it means by 'overwrite original files' is that if you had any similar mods/meshes/textures previously installed, or if you've unpacked the stuff in the Oblivion BSAs into the Data folder for whatever reason, its files will overwrite them. And as long as you have the disks (or Steam), you can always get the vanilla stuff back.

As said, with Robert's Male, there are several options for musculature. You won't hafta worry about... lol, 'butt floss' either, the briefs are fairly conservative. And if ya wanna get rid of the thongs, HGEC's lower underwear has a good amount of coverage, and is textured to look somewhat medieval. Plenty of armor/clothing available for both, too.

Edited by DJZephyr

Okay, thanks. I'll look into that one. I probably sound like a confused nutjob, first complaining about the dirty underwear in the game, then complaining because all the females are wearing white thong underwear now. I like thongs as much as the next guy, I'm just trying to find a balance between realism and idealism I guess (if that makes any sense).

I haven't seen what the male mods do just yet, but for some reason, the male bodies never bothered me that much with nothing to compare them to. I can definitely see though how mods that "feminize" the female physique make a big difference, the ladies do kind of have a body builder look by default. Glad I broke down and finally decided to give a body mod a try.

Robert's Female is more "covered" with the undies--admittedly, the panties are still a T-back, but the bra has straps and if she's in sneak mode, you won't get a "view" by accident. :P Robert's Male has an underwear version as well, and the textures are seamless (just as with Robert's Female) so you won't have oddities, really.

lol I've never seen someone in Oblivion sneak around in their underwear, although I have the power to make it happen. Really the only characters ever just in their underwear in my game are fallen npc's, my guy when changing gear, and my companion Kat because she, unlike other characters, sleeps in her underwear.