To cheat, or not to cheat?

JohannesGunn

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use cheat mods or console commands?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's face it. The developers obviously expect us to "cheat". This game came to us in a kind of pre-beta stage, so there's just no avoiding it. Every time I get to a point in a quest where I wonder what to do, I always find myself thinking, "Okay, is this a bug or am I supposed to do the obviously sensible thing?" Because, sometimes what's obvious to me wasn't all that obvious to the developer. And, in particular this New Vegas, really really really feels rushed and only half-done. There are a lot of quests where I'm just plain thinking WTF?

To my mind, when the game becomes patronizing and arbitrarily limiting, that is all the license I need to cheat and pat myself on the back for it. I mean, if the developer codes a quest ignorantly, I can't be faulted for playing my character as if they were ignorant of the consequences and just plain lucky somehow to get through that situation in one piece. Some places and quests are just so badly designed that I think, "Okay, let's just clip through this wall and say the character kicked the door down." Or I think, "Okay, this is obviously just another badly designed roller-coaster dungeon, so I'll toggle clipping again and say the character climbed out of there."

It isn't cheating if the game itself pointlessly removes obvious choices that should be there in the first place, I think is what I'm trying to say.

Well, let's face it. The developers obviously expect us to "cheat". This game came to us in a kind of pre-beta stage, so there's just no avoiding it. Every time I get to a point in a quest where I wonder what to do, I always find myself thinking, "Okay, is this a bug or am I supposed to do the obviously sensible thing?" Because, sometimes what's obvious to me wasn't all that obvious to the developer. And, in particular this New Vegas, really really really feels rushed and only half-done. There are a lot of quests where I'm just plain thinking WTF?

To my mind, when the game becomes patronizing and arbitrarily limiting, that is all the license I need to cheat and pat myself on the back for it. I mean, if the developer codes a quest ignorantly, I can't be faulted for playing my character as if they were ignorant of the consequences and just plain lucky somehow to get through that situation in one piece. Some places and quests are just so badly designed that I think, "Okay, let's just clip through this wall and say the character kicked the door down." Or I think, "Okay, this is obviously just another badly designed roller-coaster dungeon, so I'll toggle clipping again and say the character climbed out of there."

It isn't cheating if the game itself pointlessly removes obvious choices that should be there in the first place, I think is what I'm trying to say.

*Applauds*

I shamelessly use the weight cheat, but only because the only difference between using it and not using it is - about 50 hours of monotonous back and forth. I beat FO3 once without and once with and I enjoyed with much more. When I am able to pass up a bunch of armors and guns, I will be able to play without it - but I can't do it :P. Really, do I need another raider armor and a lead pipe? I have 200+ already and it's only worth a few caps, I can pass it up - I can do it - I don't need it. Him, haw - grrrr *goes and gets RL3*.

Other than that, the occasional TCL out of some poorly placed collision - but that's it.

I almost used the console to pass a quest I thought was bugged, but it wasn't - the goal just wasn't clear. Had to wiki it.

I think the Legion are bugged in my save though. They are marked as "Vilified" but they never get angry at me. I think it's because on their first encounter (town hall), I agreed to help them so there would be more quests. Ever since then, I can walk into a camp of them - right up to their head guy and, "ave" - BAM! Really, you guys dressed like him don't care? And they're like "better him than me". Really, I just wiped out like 20 of you guys over the hill and your leader here - I can walk right up to you and, "ave" - BAM! And you two Powder Gangers, I set you free 3 days ago - and you got caught again, by these morons? Look, I can walk right up to them and, "ave" - BAM! These guys are outsmarting you? You know what, BAM!, BAM! I'll be back in 3 days. I'm going to go kill an abnormally large amount of geckos and scorpions, wishing they were super mutants.

Edited by Ez0n3