A few questions about G.E.C.K. and moding itself

Pinheadius

Hey ho!

First a wanted to say, i've been making plugins sins "Morrowind", but only for me, but then i released my first plugin on the new vegas nexus, then i got addicted to modding, again (here is my mod).

anyway...

I have a few questions about working with the G.E.C.K., maybe simple or maybe complicated ones, i don't know, so here they are...

1.-->I am making right now an addon for my mod again, i am mirroring the whole suite, so just copied the whole suite and pasted it again, i brought it nearly to the position i wanted the things to, but it has to be exact, so is there a way to edit the Z axis of the rotation of more objects at once?

http://www6.pic-upload.de/23.11.10/9yk7iu2b6ujp.jpg

2.-->I also want to make a radio which stands somewhere and plays all the time the same mp3-file, so that only this one (or more) little radios can get the signal, i only found THIS, but this doesn't help much at all.

3.-->I made an alternative texture for one object (headgear), so i extracted the DDS and NIF files from the BSA. I edited the texture in "gimp" and saved it. But now all the objects which are using the texture have changed. I just want to make a new object which takes the original NIF file but another DDS file. Is there a way to do this in the G.E.C.K., i mean to tell one special object to use some other texture and not the standart? Or do i need "nifscope"? (if yes can someone tell me how, i allready have it but i didn't use it until now)

4.-->I have extracted some files like above, i wanted to change the model, so i converted the file until i got it into "google sketchup", but there i wasn't able to change the 3D-object, i just could use the whole object itself and not single parts. Is there a way to change allready existing NIF files from the game (first extract then edit) to make new objects for the game?

oh and i almost forgot...

5.-->I wanted to add some stuff to "ralph" of the "mick and ralph" store, so i located where he got his vendor-container and added some stuff, but he doesn't offer me the added stuff (scrap metal, glue, cherrybombs...), but i am almost completely sure that i put it in the right container, this cell only contains containers of the vendors. So what did i do wrong?

maybe somebody can help, that would be awesome!

Edited by Pinheadius

1. It's kind of a pain in the ass, but I know you can do it by mass selecting the objects you want, then using keyboard commands to rotate them in the Render window (Z+right click or ctrlZ+right click, I can't recall offhand). The Geck can be very temperamental, however, and it may deselect everything if you click wrong; I like to select the objects I want to rotate in the Object List window, then "rotate click" on the Render window directly from the Object List. This should reselect the Render window and allow you to rotate your objects in it without deselecting everything.

2. Maybe build a radio talking activator linked to a unique radio quest, then set the talking activator to broadcast only in it's own cell? I haven't done this yet, but I am making a radio mod right now, and I'm fairly sure that would work.

3. Did you simply overwrite the default texture? That would cause a problem like that. You can make it so only your new object uses the new texture, but you'll have to give the texture a new name and change the texture path for your object. I haven't done this yet for NV, but there should be an option to do this in the object's main property edit screen, close to the .NIF path lists.

4. Probably? You'd have to have access to 3D modeling software, and that's outside my comfort zone!

5. No idea, but it might be a time thing. Some changes you make in the Geck don't register immediately upon loading the game. It could be that his inventory for the day (week?) is already "loaded" and set in your game; try waiting for awhile and see if his inventory resets with your new items.

@DorostheConqueror:

Thx man!

BTW you can get all programs you need for modding for free HERE like i did :thumbsup: but it's a whole lot of work to install this stuff, but the programs are awesome and free!

I finally got it why the new items didn't appear in the vendors inventary, first i searched HERE but i didn't work so i just put the items into the correct vendor-container and waited 1 day in front of the store (actually i wanted to wait 3 days but it only took 1) and then he got it and i was able to buy it.

I will try your solutions for 1, 2, and 3...

thanks

3. Add a new object in the GECK. Then you select the.nif file you extracted, click on the items in the window and you can add alternate texture right from the GECK. Of course to get the UV map you will need to open the object in nifskope, and right click each item and export the .tga.

4. I wouldn't export the objects from game into sketchup to edit them. The problem is with the extra data that the nif files include that would be dropped. Items like collision, animations, and such will not copy back after you edit the model. But if thats not a problem, after you import your nif into blender, export the item. after it in SKup right click the item, and click explode. The problem is now you have to regroup every face/line when you are finished. After moving it back into blender, make sure you add the collision. I haven't played with this much other then getting to the explode part, so I am not 100% sure it will work correctly. Its probably better to edit the object in blender itself. I prefer sketchup when creating objects, but editing current ones I use blender.

5. Make sure in Ralph's actor screen he is offering that kind of item. It may be restricted to just guns, or just a few things.