Unpacking and renaming files

Ripper1302

I have installed numerous mods in both FO3 and FNV and ocassionally encounter a mod where the readme file is called simply "readme.txt" rather than something specific like "mod name readme.txt". Because of the modders naming practice, during the unpacking I get a message that "readme.txt" already exists.

Many times I can simply view the zip, rar, or 7z files and right click the readme.txt file and rename it to something more specific before I unpack it. However, about 30% of time when right clicking the readme.txt file, before unpacking it, I am not given the option to rename the file before the unpacking. I can not see any pattern as to when this renaming restriction exists and was wondering if I am overlooking something or if there is an easy renaming option when I encounter this situation.

Thanks for any ideas or solutions.

I have installed numerous mods in both FO3 and FNV and ocassionally encounter a mod where the readme file is called simply "readme.txt" rather than something specific like "mod name readme.txt". Because of the modders naming practice, during the unpacking I get a message that "readme.txt" already exists.

Many times I can simply view the zip, rar, or 7z files and right click the readme.txt file and rename it to something more specific before I unpack it. However, about 30% of time when right clicking the readme.txt file, before unpacking it, I am not given the option to rename the file before the unpacking. I can not see any pattern as to when this renaming restriction exists and was wondering if I am overlooking something or if there is an easy renaming option when I encounter this situation.

Thanks for any ideas or solutions.

This is a very annoying problem. What I usually do is when the new mod is being extracted and it tells you that the "readme.txt" already exists--overwrite?...I say no and it will make a copy ---"readme(2).txt" or something like that. When the extraction is complete, I find the readme in the data folder and rename it there. If I had a nickel for every modder that did this, I'd.........:)

Edited by MDC519