Confused about CM Partners

majikmonkee

I'm certain one of the mods I have downloaded that includes companions probably did this and I just didn't notice, but I see that I have the CM partners mod in my available data files for my game, but I don't have it checked so as far as I know, I'm not running it. I haven't had any issues with any of my mods or partners, so why add it as part of a mod if it doesn't even activate? Are there aspects of the CM Partners mod that take effect even if you don't have it turned on? I did a little looking at the download page for the mod but it didn't really answer my questions. All of my partners have slightly different interaction menus when you talk to them. Can someone tell me, if one of them IS using CM partners, if there would be a specific set of interactions a partner would have, or would it affect that? If I activate this mod at some point, is it going to affect my existing partners??

Heart Of The Dead uses CM Partners to run its companions and gives instructions on where the activated plugin should be placed in your load order.

If this isn't the mod you're asking about, then the best thing to do is open some of the mod archive files you've downloaded and check to see if a CM Partners plugin is included.

It's generally a good idea before installing any mods to first inspect the contents of the archives and their file structures. This can also help prevent common installation errors such as missing meshes or textures.

CM Partners uses its own unique companion scripts, factions, dialog and packages. Without the mod activated any companion relying on those scripts and so on will be left without any instructions on how to behave and interact with the player through dialog.

Okay. Well she replies when I speak to her, shares inventory, and follows commands like going to sleep or finding food with appropriate responses so she seems to be working. I noticed she's listed in the CS as "cmhodkat" so CM definitely plays a role. I extracted all the files as instructed it looks like, it doesn't look like it needed me to activate CM partners in my data files.

This sounded very odd to me and aroused my curiosity, so I opened the Heart Of The Dead plugin with the Construction Set to see what was up. The first thing I noticed is that the file header lists the CM Partners master file as a requirement. Usually if you try to launch Oblivion without all the required masters for any installed plugins activated, the game will immediately crash before it can get to the menu screen. Since your game is running and the companion is working properly, I have to assume that you do indeed have the CM Partners master activated in your load order and perhaps just didn't realize it. The only other explanation I could come up with would be that the author of HoD, Brian Freyermuth (MidDark), copied the scripts etc. from CM Partners into his plugin. Otherwise this shouldn't be working for you.

Yes, I found myself wondering if perhaps some of the CM companion material was imbedded in the mod itself. I double checked a minute ago and sure enough, the CM partners mod is listed as available but is still unchecked. Aside from two bugs early in the mod, I didn't have any issues at all running it. The weird thing is the copy of the mod I have doesn't seem to mention needing to activate CM partners but it's a new enough version that it has the voice acting in it. So weird.

You don't have to activate master files to be active, aslong as there's a mod using it as a master. Master files can be both esm and esp files. You can even load an esp before the master file(s) it's using and it would still work, as it would just load them first anyway.

Well, I recommend using CM Partners anyway. There are a ton of companions to choose from here on the Nexus, including a few I've made up myself.

I'm considering it. I just need to find some interesting content to keep them busy. I'm thinking it's time we turn the desert of Elsweyr upside down. I have three companions already, maybe I can build an army. So do all CM companions interact like the HOD ones do?