Your favorite leader/president/politician/ruler/monarch/autocrat

DariusMoranda

I am not politically oriented at all, but I do love history and I often enjoy in reading and watching the same.

As for me, it is quite interesting of how all of those famous and less famous rulers dealt with big questions , each one in his own time.

History is inevitable, we make the history and we change the path of it, every day, for the future generations.

Some of those had bigger opportunities.

Who do you look up to? What are the methods that you found as an effective?

This subject is completely free for opinions and ideas. I don't mind if you pick the worst dictator ever as your favorite. This isn't about who and how much someone killed or how many died in hunger or similar things.

This is about good deeds someone deed, no matter of his complete persona.

This is about a good side in every human and a wish to perform good for the nation, country or family. If it is a tyrant , maybe he did some good too, but most of the people doesn't know that?

I would be awesome to give a detailed description of your choice , to tell about it a bit more deep, maybe to end it with a quote of the person, as a punchline at the end of the post.

Enjoy and I look forward to read those who are interested in this thread.

Let's teach some history and remember the past!

Moranda;)

I am absolutely fasionated by Ghandi. This quiet little man, the lawyer from Southafrica, who was exposed to racism there, yet started a protest against the Gouvernment there. A protest against second class citizens.

It is outstanding in history that he managed to shake the British Empire, in such a way that they could not overlook this man. All this he achived first of all by his charisma, he was able to draw the India populations attention.

He was able to create a massive wave of non-violent demonstrations, disobediance and obstruction, and no matter how many times he was beaten and/or put to jail, he never answered back with violence.

Imagine, to free a people from an empire with absolutely no violence. :biggrin:

Watch your tongue.

IF I had to pick a favorite, I would say Churchill, Patton.

Both were inspirational military leaders, who's influence may have been one of many deciding factors in the outcome of WW2.

OF peacetime leaders I am less sure, a man reveals a lot in wartime about themself in their choices of action.

That's why I respect the afforementioned war leaders-because they were given the two greatest tests of human strength: power and adversity-and proved worthy. Not perfect, but able.

In peacetime however it seems like power burns away any sense of morality of better judgement.

Just take Barack Obama for example. Seemed like such a reformist pre election, but now he's as establishment as they come, and Im still yet to see fulfilled electoral promises.

Maybe Boris Yeltzin.

I find it impossible not to respect a man that un-self conscious.

He brought the Soviet era to a close in Russia-and for a while things were genuinely good over there, there is, nearly two decades on, a vats amount of work to be done, but that was a revolution that needed to happen.

ANd it wasnt neccessarily the Soviet regime that needed to be overthrown anyway, but reather tha problem of human greed. Stalin was a butcher, but his idea for a utopian state was just that-utopian, unfortunately humans evolved for dystopia, not utopia, and when you're that heavily reliant on the goodness of humanity, you are, for want of a better term, royaly muffed.

Edited by Vindekarr

I wont deny Hitler was a tyrant, but his attempt at domination over Europe was a hell of a good one. Gotta give the guy some credit, in under 10 years he basically created an ultra power military from almost no military. But he was a lunatic, you can't fight the entire world on all fronts and win, but it was still a great attempt, and there really hasn't been a leader since that had the charisma that Hitler did. He was so awesome, he had an entire country follow him like a demented cult. Best villain ever in human history.

I wont deny Hitler was a tyrant, but his attempt at domination over Europe was a hell of a good one. Gotta give the guy some credit, in under 10 years he basically created an ultra power military from almost no military. But he was a lunatic, you can't fight the entire world on all fronts and win, but it was still a great attempt, and there really hasn't been a leader since that had the charisma that Hitler did. He was so awesome, he had an entire country follow him like a demented cult. Best villain ever in human history.

Agreed. Germany was at its peak here. Even with such a evil reputation, he and many others were masterminds of their craft.

Agreed. Germany was at its peak here. Even with such a evil reputation, he and many others were masterminds of their craft.

Especially in the Holocaust. Their leaders had no reputation before the war and none after their suicide. You're talking about the Prussian general staff, the German military machine and the Weapon-SS elite force that has shaped strategy and tactics of the post-war US Army.

I myself vote for Princess Snow White, for she had seven guys at hand to please her. That's great, eh?

Edited by Surenas

well, we have only to forgot he has killed millions of people because of their religion, destroyed art and culture in many countries, stole all wealth in this countries and we can see him as a hero.

i hope we'll never do.

the leader i respect the more is Nelson Mandela.

as a former victim, he didn't know hate whe he became a leader, unlike so many people.

i respect gandhi too, but more for his philosophy that his political