Uploading noob mods - a no no

Moire

I've seen a huge number of what I like to call "Noob mods" on tesnexus. These are mods that can be made by anyone who just recently took their first steps into The CS. Examples are "I made this armor with imba stats that uses default models" or "New race that is basically an imperial with Golden saint eyes". Not to mention the worst case with mods like "The omfg mod" that doesn't have a hint of seriousity in them. We don't need any of your noob mods. They are only cluttering Tesnexus, making it harder to find the quality mods and they could be seen as spam actually, because they don't make anyone happy. My advice to people is to only upload something you have put some work into and that you think people will appreciate. This problem becomes especially clear when Oblivion has existed for nearly four years and most people have seen all the wonderful creations out there. So if you recently took up Oblivion, maybe you should have a look around to see what counts as quality before you upload something.

What would be best is if your mod was forced to undergo a preview by the moderators, to ensure that it adds something of value.

Edited by Moire

I've seen a huge number of what I like to call "Noob mods" on tesnexus. These are mods that can be made by anyone who just recently took their first steps into The CS. Examples are "I made this armor with imba stats that uses default models" or "New race that is basically an imperial with Golden saint eyes". Not to mention the worst case with mods like "The omfg mod" that doesn't have a hint of seriousity in them. We don't need any of your noob mods. They are only cluttering Tesnexus, making it harder to find the quality mods and they could be seen as spam actually, because they don't make anyone happy. My advice to people is to only upload something you have put some work into and that you think people will appreciate. This problem becomes especially clear when Oblivion has existed for nearly four years and most people have seen all the wonderful creations out there. So if you recently took up Oblivion, maybe you should have a look around to see what counts as quality before you upload something.

What would be best is if your mod was forced to undergo a preview by the moderators, to ensure that it adds something of value.

Hrm. And here all this time I'VE been saying that we need to run an etiquette and rules test as part of the sign up process for the sites.

Thats about as unreasonable as expecting such a small staff to review and playtest EVERY SINGLE MOD that is uploaded here.

1) Not all of us own all of these games. You can't expect us to go out and spend money on a game, just for your own gratification. 2) Most of the staff are working people, with real families, real lives, who do this on a volunteer basis. You want us to give up our personal lives, and our personal time, in order to review every single thing thats uploaded here? Seriously? 3) There's been a huge influx of new users due to the FO New Vegas game. And a lot of these new users are keeping the staff pretty busy with reports in regards to their actions. You want to take an already short staff that is already working hard to keep up with all those reports, and put THAT kind of a strain on them, IF they already own those games, AND want to give up that much of their free time??

Realistic? NOT!!

First and foremost, this modding community was founded on freedom of creativity, and expression (as long as it falls into the rules regarding illegally ported content, permissions by original authors, and the other guidelines, of course!).

And as such, everybody here has the right to upload whatever their creative minds have come up with, as long as it is within those rules.

Oh. It doesnt match up to your standards. Then don't play it. Don't comment on it in the author's upload comments, and Just Move On.

Well guess what, ALL modders have to start SOMEWHERE. This kind of treatment doesnt encourage them to keep sharing their works with all of us, as they improve. Those great mods you're comparing them to? Maybe they wouldnt have been shared with all of these "quality nazis" if they'd received this kind of treatment when they released their earlier projects.

I really dont know where this crowd has come from, but they need to get off their High Horse! They're making comments that are totally inappropriate in mod upload threads, and their getting themselves banned over it.

Which is just fine by me, cause we dont need that kind of high horse attitude around here in our family of sites.

Ya'll have your right to your opinions. You have your rights to complain. And while I may not agree with your opinions, as long as you keep them civil, dont attack other members in their comments threads, and don't spam up their comments threads with a bunch of garbage comments, you can express those complaints and opinions.

But if you guys keep up that crap in the uploads sections, we WILL show you guys the door.

Edited by DarkeWolf

I agree with Darkewolf for the most part. Having put in time as a moderator on another site (the Aegis text-based online game - look it up sometime), I can appreciate the impossibility of reviewing all mods at the same time the community is being regulated. Perhaps it would be possible on a much smaller site.

I don't mind "n00bish" mods when the modder in question obviously is learning or trying. If you don't like the content, post constructive criticism and move on.

That said, I do think that there is a minimum requirement for mods, and if a mod fails that minimum requirement then it should be taken down. In my mind, that minimum requirement is clear: first, if it violates any laws (copyright infringement, requires payment etc.); or second, if it is the cause of instability for the vast majority of users--either because it causes frequent CTDs or because uninstalling it can irrevocably glitch a player's game. In either case I would like to see the moderators step in and block or remove the content.

That said, the only realistic way moderators have to know if either line has been crossed is NOT by testing mods, but rather by the reports they receive from users, or comments or negative endorsements.

Edited by BFG99

While I agree that 92 different options for making Dremora playable can, and even is a little annoying at times, really, like was already said, you gotta start somewhere. Simply by downloading the CS puts you closer to being a modder than many. Even knowing how to go in and check the "playable" box, however simple that may be, is at least the start of what could be a modding career. Ask ancient_laws. Gizmodian. Skycaptain. Any of those popular modders, and I'm sure they had to start small. I mean, the three things I have uploaded are by no means anything great. Literally two minute mods. But ya know what? Two of them were made by request, and that means that even the tiny mods are useful to someone. I think that spending a couple minutes more time browsing is more than worth the potential of an actually gifted modder flourishing.

-.-

All modders took their first steps and we were all noobs to begin with. If anything you should be encouraging them to continue making mods because you never know how good they might get and how much they will contribute to the site.If you dont like it then fine pass it by. You dont have to even look at them. If you dont want to see " Noobish Mods " then search in the top 100 for mods. There shouldn't be any " Noob mods " there

And its not right to criticize others on their mod making skills when you yourself haven't contributed anything to these wonderful sites

That's the sort of attitude that used to scare folks off in some of the other communities I've been with, and I can see people with great potential not wanting to even try their hand at modding if they think they'll be unfairly criticized. like was said, we all have to start somewhere.

Here's another thing. And this comes from a report that I dealt with last night. New modder on the scene, and granted... his work had room for improvement. 3 or 4 people telling him that the textures were bad, and needed work.

New guy on the block here.

Only ONE person offering to actually HELP this guy learn how to improve his work.

People get better with experience. We cannot ever forget that. And sometimes, it does take a person getting some help with some of the hurdles. Some of these games...NOT easy to mod. But getting in there, and getting their hands dirty... sometimes that starts the ball rolling, and it gets better as it rolls along.

I agree with Darkewolf for the most part. Having put in time as a moderator on another site (the Aegis text-based online game - look it up sometime), I can appreciate the impossibility of reviewing all mods at the same time the community is being regulated. Perhaps it would be possible on a much smaller site.

I don't mind "n00bish" mods when the modder in question obviously is learning or trying. If you don't like the content, post constructive criticism and move on.

That said, I do think that there is a minimum requirement for mods, and if a mod fails that minimum requirement then it should be taken down. In my mind, that minimum requirement is clear: first, if it violates any laws (copyright infringement, requires payment etc.); or second, if it is the cause of instability for the vast majority of users--either because it causes frequent CTDs or because uninstalling it can irrevocably glitch a player's game. In either case I would like to see the moderators step in and block or remove the content.

That said, the only realistic way moderators have to know if either line has been crossed is NOT by testing mods, but rather by the reports they receive from users, or comments or negative endorsements.

Exactly. And that is our jobs in the uploads section. Not to determine who is, and who isn't, good enough.

Alonso and Majik have both hit it directly on the head, and I applaud all three of you for your open minded and considerate attitudes :thumbsup:

Edit- and for the record, I was not the staff member that closed this thread.

Edited by DarkeWolf