Custom Race Mannequins Help

lupicatalum

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL ... we have hidden cameras everywhere Lup (the main one being at the bottom bar of this thread, but there are others ... Ike and I will be watching).

Sleep well my friend but sleep fast. The Dawn is Breaking for you long before mine.

Wrye Bash really isn't as bad as it maybe was back in the bad old days. I picked up a bit about it over the years before I started using it from various sources (primarily one of the go to guys when I was starting out ... Hickory). Most of what I know about it now is from reading through the two readme.html files (I use them like a reference library whenever I'm trying something new).

I still install most of my mods manually ... I just find it so much easier because I'll always go over any mod I'm thinking of installing with a fine tooth comb, looking for conflicts and overwrites long before it ever gets close to my game drive. Even those mods I installed with BAIN were painstakingly examined before they were installed with BAIN. Why?? ... because I'm a cautious old guy who prefers to help solve other people's problems rather than sort through any of his own making.

OBMM has too many limitations for me to consider it for myself. I've used it in the past, before I learned how to manually install, but since then I only use it for archive invalidation (well now I use WB for that actually) and extracting BSAs and OMODs for source files for my own mods. Many still stand by OBMM, and for most it is perhaps the best choice. Whether or not you go Wrye will somewhat be dictated by what mods you choose to pursue down the road (Weather All Natural for example requires you use WB's bashed patch).

There is nothing stopping you from starting out with OBMM, learning a bit of manual install and seeing where that leads you (maybe Wrye, maybe not).

Well I already know about manual install for the most part. I modded the hell out of morrowind back in the day and there was NO utilities then. Basic mods seem to be similar if not the same. I have literally ZERO clue what the hell a bashed patch is for and Archive invalidation as well for that matter

By default the game will use assets (meshes, textures etc) from the compressed archives ... BSA files like Oblivion - Meshes.bsa and the others. If a mod doesn't use an ESP to direct the game to use replacement assets the vanilla game will just ignore any replacements, even if they are in the correct folder structure and continue to use it's BSA assets. Various methods of overcoming this limitation have been tried over the years ... archive invalidation is the one that works, and BSA Redirection is the latest and most problem free method of archive invalidation.

The bashed patch is a merged patch that resolves conflicts between mods, allowing the use of two or more mods together that couldn't be used together without either manually merging them using the CS/TES4Edit or via the bashed patch.

Some of the Morrowind screenshots I see today make it look pretty sweet. I was finally able to track down the GotY Morrowind on disk recently, but then was crestfallen when I discovered it requires Steam activation (I will be the last non-Steam guy on the planet if I have my way). Added to my "oh well" pile of games (Starforce back in the day was a bad one ... you needed a microscope to see the Starforce logo on the packages before you bought the games that used it ... early on I forgot to bring my microscope to EB Games when shopping).