NifSkope/GECK Issues: Invisible Mesh in Geck

BerlinRunner

Hello Nexus-Comrades!

I've returned to the modding community and I am going in full force. I've run into an issue while editing and creating a new weapon using existing meshes from the game. I've used blender, versions 2.73 and 2.49b. I am also using nifskope.

I used the 22 SMG mesh and used blender to cut the Rifle stock off a trail carbine and applied it onto the 22 SMG in nifskope. The rifle stock was exported as a .3ds file from 2.73 and imported into 2.49b and from there, I exported it again as a .nif file.

I went into nifskope and i copied the branch (NiTriStrips) and added onto the SMG. I noticed right off the bat that the stock didn't have a texture where as while in blender 2.73, the stock still maintained it's texture. The mesh of the stock was still there but the texture was nonexistent. The mesh of the SMG was also present and the texture was also there. All the meshes and textures are all in the same folder. When I did a dry test run, I saved the file as it is, and put the .nif file into appropriate mesh files for the GECK.

When I opened the GECK, and opened my gun file in the static models, the SMG appeared but the stock was missing from the gun. I've done some trouble shooting of my own and it seems like the stock might be missing some important characteristics but I'm not sure what.

I am relatively novice to the world of using blender as a method of stripping parts of weapons and implications in nifskope so please, I ask when explaining if you could take it easy on jargon and try to explain as detailed as possible, in a step by step matter, and if you reference other websites, please provide a link. Don't post if your just gonna say "there's a website that has documented this phenomenon" or tell me to 'google it". I been hesitant to post here until I did a thorough enough investigation into the issue so now I'm looking to the "professionals."

I've attached some files for references:

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad135/comrade_germx/Screenshot%204.png

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad135/comrade_germx/Screenshot%205.png

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE*

I still have not figured out what the situation out even after addressing it to several members of the community. I have not done anymore weapon modeling due to this issue. If anyone can help at all, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I just finished a good long war with Nifscope and GECK. I'm pretty sure you're exporting using Blender 2.49, which is exactly what needs be done. Make sure you have the old version of nifscripts on.

The way you fix invisible meshes is this:

Open your mesh in nifscope.

Open a Vanilla mesh in nifscope.

Copy all the surrounding bits you are missing from the Vanilla Mesh onto your mesh. (copy branch -> paste branch.)

The parts you need are:

BSShader...

NiMaterialProperty

BSShaderFlag

Make sure that if your top line reads "BSFadeNode" (Right click -> Block -> Convert -> BSFadeNode)

Re-import to Blender really fast, then export it one more time. now you're goo to import into GECK. Will fix collision meshes too.

In regards to the BSShader, does it have to be exactly like "BSShader" or can it also be "BSShaderPPLightingProperty" or "BSShaderTextureSet" ???

Also, I'm having a hard time find BSShaderFlag, I've found "BSXFlags" but I don't think it's the right one necessarily needed.

Thank you for your help so far.

You should have "BSShaderPPLightingProperty" and when you expand the tree, you should have "BSShaderTextureSet". In the lower window will be displayed the textures. If you left click on the purple flower, you will be able to set the path to your textures.

Your best bet would be like Thaiauxn posted. Open your model in NifSkope and another weapon in a second instance of NifSkope. That way you can see what you need to do to get the texture for the rifle stock to appear.

For BSShaderFlag, left click on DSSHaderPPLightingProperty. In the lower display will be all the properties. Scroll down and you will come to BSShaderFlag. BSShaderType should be "Default". To open BSShaderFlag, double click anywhere on the "value" line and you will be able to set the flags with the drop down menu.

I strongly suggest you download some of the fine NifSkope tutorials that are available here on the nexus. New Vegas has a few available. Just use the advance search function and enter tutorial in the title name and nifskope in description.

I'm still struggling trying to get it to appear. i followed word for word what you guys are saying, and I'm still having the butt be missing from the GECK. :/

I'm leaving the nifskope files of the custom gun with the rifle butt already attached and the rifle butt by itself for anyone to take a long on there own. I'm not sure what else I can do, I've tried everything you guys told me several times.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei1evd7p3ji6fnj/Feral%20Carbine%20TEST%20MARK%204.nif?dl=0 <<<<< Custom Gun with Rifle Butt

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ef7ehbm1z1njo4y/riflebuttpart2.nif?dl=0 <<<< Rifle Butt (NIfskope file)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ssa2rlknrtscvam/riflebutt.3ds?dl=0 <<<< Rifle Butt (3ds file)

Please, if you solve the issue, if you could walk me through your steps to the solution, I would appreciate it.

Edited by BerlinRunner

I checked the .nif file you have uploaded to dropbox and it is not setup correctly. Do as Thaiauxn posted.

Open a weapon .nif file and open your .nif file. Compare the format of both. You will see that yours is not the same as the other file. In order for your file to work, it must be setup in the same format as one that does work.

If you use the search function in the mods forum, you will be able to download tutorials that will explain the procedure, with images, a lot better than I can. That is how I learned what little I know about NifSkope.

Edited by M48A5

I checked the .nif file you have uploaded to dropbox and it is not setup correctly. Do as Thaiauxn posted.

Open a weapon .nif file and open your .nif file. Compare the format of both. You will see that yours is not the same as the other file. In order for your file to work, it must be setup in the same format as one that does work.

If you use the search function in the mods forum, you will be able to download tutorials that will explain the procedure, with images, a lot better than I can. That is how I learned what little I know about NifSkope.

When you say it wasn't setup correctly, what do you mean? am I missing something? or did I mess something up in the order? Also I've tried looking up these tutorials to no avail.

ture

UPDATE: I'm reading some tutorials I did end up finding but I'm still looking for a solution. If anyone can help or even fix it for me, (Documentation would be awesome for future reference). Thank you.

Edited by BerlinRunner

Downloaded these, and there is something really wrong with all three files. The 3ds I can't even open in Max, nor merge its contents. The TEST 4 Nif, when opened, crashes upon opening the UVW window. Blender won't open the nifs, with or without editing them.

I'll try again later.

EDIT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5atoqqsx2mb4ak7/Carbine%20BLee%20Edit.nif?dl=0

Try this. I remade the mesh as a static really quick. Rearranged the nodes, and slaved to a dummy with new collision, and re-skinned. It appears in GECK just fine. If you rig this file as a gun it should work now. Just repeat your previous steps.

Edited by Thaiauxn