Dang, Oblivion is buggy

vram1974

I've really enjoyed coming back to Oblivion but it may already be time to quit.

I played my comeback character up to about level 10 (I have an experience delimiter so this actually represents a good deal of time) and my quicksave and autosaves become corrupted.

Then I started anew and used the manual saving technique. That worked but then those saves became corrupted. Then I started the console save technique. That worked but now it doesn't.

My current dilemma is I finished the Hackdirt quest rescuing Dar Ma. I can save and load in the Hackdirt cell. If I LEAVE the Hackdirt cell I can save and load elsewhere but when I restart the game all my saves crash unless it's the one in Hackdirt.

I tried all the google fixes I could think of but alas, I can't leave Hackdirt.

Anyway, I don't expect to fix it, just wanted to rant about losing a 35 hour character. And I had JUST finished slogging through the main quest!

When I first learned of quicksave's problems it took a long time and a lot of proper not overwritten manual saves to recover that character. I still have that characters saves (well over 1200 hours, probably 800 or more of those put on after the quicksave abuse).

One of the key steps in recovering a save is the "coc center and wait" trick.

With your save loaded open the console and type "coc center" (without the quote marks of course) and hit Enter. You'll be transported onto an open plain with some trees in the distance. Using the game's wait menu, wait 72 hours plus a bit for good measure (that's three full days and a bit). Open the console again and "coc weye" (again no quotes ... you can substitute another location if you know the correct location code for that cell). Exit the fisherman's cottage and see if it helps.

You may need to do that on more than one occasion while recovering a save line. Sometimes all that is required is avoiding the problem area until after those cells have reset (if for example you were crashing when approaching Leyawiin you just stay to the north for three days or more).