No music playing

katfan325

I'm a Win XP 32 bit dinosaur, so I'll be of limited utility on any step by step how to's I'm afraid. I'm also not a "sound guy", and as such I have extremely limited experience with CODECs etc (but I do know that plenty of "free" things try to load you up with as much crap as they can).

I'd go through Add/Remove Programs and look for an uninstall option for anything that looks, smells or feels like a CODEC, but I realize that's easier for me to say than for you to do. I build and maintain my own machines, never use automatic updates for anything and know what and why for everything installed on any machine I've built. I have an old HP laptop (with that POS OS named Vista). Between HP loading it down with 2 tons of unnecessary crapware and Vista it is not good for much beyond checking email and a little web surfing (and that's after I used a voodoo witch doctor type cleansing on it ... uninstalled or turned off everything I could find not OS related). I wouldn't even think of playing anything but Solitaire on it (and I don't play Solitaire).

That doesn't help you in your situation.

I believe the Infra Red device thing was related to getting the Oblivion command prompt console to work, so I doubt it'll have anything to contribute to this. Beyond uninstalling stuff from Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs I'm afraid that's about all I can think of. You can also start going through everything that is installed using Windows Explorer and uninstall using that program's installer, if any is there, but you need to know what's required by your machine and what's not.

Before you start down that path I'd make sure I knew how to use the OS backup (you did make one of those when you first started the laptop ... right?? ... I know laptops never come with the Windows disks).

:smile: Well...not really sure what I did to make it work, but it's working now!

It might be from doing something I read where I should use InstalledCodec and basically disable any codecs that aren't Microsoft or Fraunhofer. I did restart my computer, but never checked to see if it worked, until just now.

So, I'm happy, but not completely sure why it's working, but I'm cool with that.

Thanks so much for all your help along the way, Striker!